Fix rear diffuser? :(

Nigeltdi4life

Reaction score
Well today I stupidly reversed into some metal railings that were completely in my blindspot and low down out of my vision :(

Can I fix it? Or do I need to replace the whole thing? It doesn't bother me too much because it's such small damage but I'm OCD when it comes to these things lol I'm just glad the paint wasn't damaged.

The damage is just tiny dent an inch to the left of the left exhaust :(
d25024d4ce04e3073328eab83acf9d93.jpg
02da6f485f9ec8ac584b1d208a2fc4ae.jpg

1351771f846e972ea736c406d960d855.jpg

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Annoying but not something worth replacing! Can the plastic be pushed from above on it to sort of 'flatten' ?

Reactions: Nigeltdi4life
Try boiling water on it mate it should go back to shape.

Reactions: Nigeltdi4life and OST
Annoying but not something worth replacing! Can the plastic be pushed from above on it to sort of 'flatten' ?
I don't think so, it would need to be pushed from behind if you know what I mean but I don't think it's hollow. Very hard plastic too.

Looks like the cheapest and best option would be to get a 2nd hand diffuser off eBay. Only trouble would be fitting it, not sure if it's worth the hassle, time and money though :(

Does anyone know how to remove the rear diffuser?

Can you get behind it to push it out ? Try the water again if you can push it or slowly heat it with a heat gun.

I'd imagine it would be just clipped in and wouldn't be ha hard job.

Reactions: Nigeltdi4life
Can you get behind it to push it out ? Try the water again if you can push it or slowly heat it with a heat gun.

I'd imagine it would be just clipped in and wouldn't be ha hard job.
No I don't think it can be pushed out, its not hollow, its very hard. I've done a quick search online, looks like it's a few torx screws and then alot of clips and it comes off!

Update: No torx screws looks like its just literally held on by clips

Last edited:
Here's a picture of a 2nd hand part on eBay with similar damage except much deeper dent.
a02c25c448036eff5f7d89cc5e4a3cb2.jpg

Smart repair? That matte grey will be an easy match...
I imagine this is doable

Mine had flakey paint (no dent) that Audi wanted to smart repair but I pushed for a replacement so it was never actually smart repaired.

But yeah, I imagine a bit of filler and paint would sort that... What I'm not sure is if it would soon run into/upto the cost of a second hand diffuser maybe?

Reactions: batch
Wow this is OCD to the max! that dent is unnoticeable to someone other than you. I know it will annoy you though as you know its there but relax! Any Ebay 2nd hand diffuser will be way worse than that. the chances of you finding an as new diffuser that also wont get damaged in the post is very unlikely. Iv bought 2 diffusers from ebay, 2nd hand, as new. Did they arrive as new? ermmm no! If i were you i would be ringing local bodyshops, mobile repair companies to come to you to fix it. Audi will prob charge you double for the same job and wont come out to you directly. Really no point in buying second hand and then repairing it to be as new, you have one already so just repair that. We throw away too much in this world, we should repair more of what we have and not see everything as disposable. I got my diffuser replaced by an old Italian guy, i couldnt get it off. He put the car on his ramps, then got a hammer to the diffuser. Came off with some pushing, no screws, what i saw was just clips. new one slotted right in, max 5 minute job.

Last edited:
I would buy a new replacement, it would get on my t*ts every day.

Reactions: Tom.H
Changing out the diffuser is a 5 min job but you need to get under the rear bumper and use flat plastic trim tools to prise the tabs apart, once it starts coming away you can gently pull the diffuser off.
Suggest taking it off then use boiling water or a hairdryer over the dented area and if you can push from behind to mellow out the dent.
Careful of the grey paint though, it is super thin!!!!!

Try heating it up and then gently push it back to its place
I did exact same thing with mateys Astra and that was as hard as a rock
Definitely not worth replacing it...
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If repairing isn't going to help. I still have a spare rear diffuser (sline) single and twin pipe version. It's in an okay condition (not perfect) but can check it you are interested. Where are you based?

Sent from my ZTE A2017G using Tapatalk