Fitting Xenon lights

ScottishA4B9

Reaction score
Hi All

How easy is it to the Xenon lights with LED running lights to an A1 that has the normal lights fitted?

Thanks

It's possible, but not easy, and pretty expensive. I'd suggest not worth it. Technically (to be road legal) you also have to change the bumper for one with the pop out headlight washers and also upgrade the washer fluid container to a larger one due to the extra fluid being used.

Last edited:
I thought it might just be a car of getting some second hand ones, fitting them and getting them coded using VCDS???
I guess it's not as easy as that.
I thought that S lines came with those lights as standard? The one I'm looking at doesn't!

As of MY15 S-Line gets them standard.

<MY14 they were standard on S-Line Plus only (unless someone ticked the option box - which hardly anyone did as it was cheaper to just go for S-Line Plus and get a couple of other options thrown in).

This has been looked at before. It was really expensive to retrofit properly.

Xenons run on a high voltage system which also has to be installed. The lights also incorporate a self levelling system to avoid blinding other drivers. As mentioned above, a washer system with a larger reservoir and a low washer level indicator are also required to do it properly.

Probably better to save the money towards changing the car.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Fitting Xenon's isn't very tricky. Does require some new parts apart from the headlights themselves, and to be completely road legal yes you do need headlight washers and auto levelling.

I worked in a council run MOT station, and all they are able to check is the headlight washers, so personally I wouldn't bother with auto levelling retrofit (although it is possible, Kufatec sell a kit).

If you do fit the xenon headlights, you need an adaptor cable (about £40 from eBay or Kufatec), and you need to run a wire to a control box in the car. I did this on an A4 and it was really easy.

Apart from that, the headlight washer retrofit is very straight forward. Yes, the larger washer bottle is advisable, as you will use more fluid every time you go to wash the windscreen, so if you stick with the smaller bottle you will have to fill it up more often. You can use the standard washer bottle, and add in the additional pump for the headlight washers, there is space for it.

The actual washer jets are not electrically controlled, they are purely forced open with the power of the water.

Wiring for the second pump, you just need to tap in to the + and - of the 1st pump, and run them to the second. Very easy, any good mechanic or auto electrician will be able to do this for you.

Oh and of course you need a bumper with the headlight washer holes, caps and brackets. eBay is your friend here.

I was going to be retrofitting this to my car, but I decided to go for a xenon equipped car instead. I purchased all the parts before changing my mind about the car I was going to buy. If you do wish to fit it, I have the larger washer bottle, additional pump with wiring, washer jets and piping for sale. I've included the ETKA diagram below, every part there I have (apart from 5 and 11, only cost about £12 all in from Audi). Message me if your interested.

Washerbottle

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fit auto levelling - don't be one of those ****** with retro fitted xenons that dazzles every oncoming driver!

Auto-levelling isn't the issue with most peoples HID retrofits you see on the road that blind you, its the projector lens they fit them in to.
If you have the correct headlights, and are adjusted to the correct height, they won't blind anyone. I've fitted genuine xenons to 2 A4s and 1 A6, never been flashed and passed all MOTs.

But for anyone reading this, auto levelling is needed to make the car completely legal, and you can get the kit here..
https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/audi/a1/a1-8x/auto-leveling-headlights-retrofit-audi-a1-8x

Hello guys, sorry for digging this topic but I couldn't find anything helpful by searching. I am looking into retrofitting a pair of bi-xenons on my car as soon as I have it(in about a month I hope), and I was looking forward to some information regarding the coding, and the location where those two extra wires must be connected. Has anyone managed this retrofit, and could help? (I am also wondering, although I m fairly soon it is possible, if I can do the coding using the OBDeleven adapter, so I dont have to spend 300+$ on the rosstech cable). Thanks in advance guys.

John

This retrofit was done to my MK6 Golf headlamp washers weren't fitted but the leveling system was. According to this link if they are fitted they must work. http://hazzydayz.com/genuine-vw-golf-mk6-xenon-headlight-upgrade-174-p.asp I did have an MOT with no issues.
Parts that may be required are adaptor harnesses with the trigger wires to the BCM. Your BCM software may not support the bixenons. VCDS to change the long coding.

Even if you have VCDS, how do you know what to change? where can I find instrunctions for which code to change?

Well usually someone will have done the retrofit before and will know what bytes to change in the long code. Ross tech website have a retrofit section the answer may be there. If you have genuine VCDS you can register and ask on the forum. On a golf it's usually byte 18 which controls the lighting. With VCDS when you click along the long code it gives you several options on particular bytes to change things...hope this makes sense?

From what I have seen it is the same byte for the a1. Thing is I was thinking about getting the obdeleven adapter instead of the vcds cable, at 1/3 of the price, but it looks like I will have to go for the cable

An also I dont know how to find a schematic regarding where do I have to connect those 2 extra wires from the harnesses

Just had a look and the bytes that may have to be changed and i say may are byte 14 check bit 3 and the code is 08...byte 15 bit 3 and bit 6 checked and code is 4c....byte 17 bit 2 checked and the code is f7...byte 24 and bit 7 checked and code is e4....they are all concerned with bi-xenons with shutter installed, drls active and dimming whilst using the indicators..a lot of people use OBD11 is there a cost involved tho? something to do with credits. To be fair both work equally well, never used the OBD11 tho

The thing with obd11 is that there is a cost only for mods that you click ok an happen, as the app does the programming for you for you. If you chose long coding it is free, but there are no information for what does what, like the vcds. Does the harness from kufatec have instructions on whete to place those two stray wires?

I've never looked at the kufatec website at the audi harness. Did buy my original stuff from carsystems in Poland and then got kufatec harness, they do come with instructions where to stick the 2 trigger wires. kufatec also did sell a box which plugs into the obd port and this changes your coding, i did buy one for the golf but didn't have enough balls to plug it in, so it went in the bin...i suppose someone will have rescued it and wondering what the heck it is....ha ha ha

The 2 wires are trigger wires for the headlamp shutters, on the golf the connected into 2 pins on the body control module, again if you order the kufatec harnesses they do give you a sheet of paper with colour photos where to fit them.

Thanks for the info mate, it is very helpful indeed. Now I get why a friend of mine that retrofitted his mini with xenon headlights never got the high beam to work lol. I am actually against those boxes, too much money and if anything goes wrong with that you can't reverse it, so it looks like I will be getting the vagcom cable, probably HEX-V2 version, and with this I should get the job done.