Fitting the RS3 Grill (Guide)

CCWS3

Reaction score
Morning All,

A few of you will be aware that I fitted the RS3 grill from Xenonz UK to my S3 last night. I have decided to detail the fitting process (to the best of my abilities) below for your info should you be interested in fitting one.

Essential Requirements:
Jacks / Ramp / Lift
Prying tools
Torx screwdrivers
Cover sheet
Lights
Black hammerite (at your discretion)
2-3 people
A LOT OF PATIENCE!!!

Removal of the Original Grill:

I was extremely lucky to obtain the use of my mate's garage, meaning I had all the tools, etc. needed for the job. We had an issue getting the lift arms to the jacking points due to the lowering of my car so we had to jack the rear up to allow for sufficient clearance to position the arms.

Stand

STEP 1
Once at a suitable height, you need to remove the front wheels. When these are off you need to locate and remove the torx screws on the undertray and then it just slides off. After removing the undertray you need to remove the three screws securing the top of the grill/bumper to the front of the car. Once completed, locate and remove all the torx screws on the arch linings. Peel back the arch liners and there are then three screws (two vertical w/ washers and one horizontal) securing the bumper at the sides of the car. These are really wedged away in the side of the bumper and it is a pain in the *** to remove two of them. With all of the above taken care of, you literally just prize the bumper away from the front/side of the car after removing the final screw sitting just ahead of the undertray under the bumper.

Wheels

Undertray

Undertray Off

Three Top Screws

Arch Liner

Inside Bumper Screws

STEP 2

I advise you to remove the bumper slowly as there is a connection point for something you need to disconnect as shown below. When removed you can lay the bumper face down on a cover and focus on removing the washer fluid hose, etc. from their secured points around the bottom of the grill. Note that your temperature sensor (?) is secured in the middle so be sure to remove its housing and put it aside. For those of you with parking sensors, they just clip out and then the housings need to be removed for fitting in the new grill.

Connection Point

Hose Line

Bumper Off

STEP 3
Now that you have attended to the numerous electrics, you need to remove 6 screws (three either side) on the grill. With these off I recommend you try pry the middle sections either side of the grill so it is loose in that area. Now for the fun part! This is undoubtedly the biggest PITA job involved here... you need one friend to grab two prying tools and pry the bumper clips away from the securing points in the top corners. Meanwhile, you have to attempt to pull the grill away from the fittings with brute force. Be mindful that you don't want to apply any excessive force to the bumper as a means of leverage; the last thing you want to do here is warp the bumper - it really takes perseverance to unclip the grill in these two securing points! With both corners free from the bumper you then take a prying tool and wedge the plastic strip running along the bottom of the grill near the splitter down and out. This is slightly troublesome but shouldn't be too much of a bother. You really have to wedge it away from the grill to free the grill's final securing points/clips along the bottom. If you've managed this you are now officially half way there as that's the original grill free from the bumper!

Three Screws of Six

PITA Clips

Original Off

Fitting the New Grill:

STEP 4
Before you focus on installing the new grill, be sure to fit the parking sensor housings in the new grill. When done you then install the grill in the reverse of the removal process. Basic procedure being: line up the grill and try secure the middle and lower clips. Focus on the two top corners (yes, those, badboys from earlier) and push down to secure those clips. The last step from the removal is also the last step for the new fitment! It's a harder job ensuring the plastic surround is secured on the new grill and the clips are in, but it is achievable. Don't forget to run round the grill and ensure all the clips are secured. With that out the way you can install the 6 screws you removed from the grill to begin with. From here you can reinsert the parking sensors and run the hose line along the bottom of the grill in its holding clips. We cable tied the temperature housing and sensor to the hose as it's the only real place to tuck it away out of sight. Double check you have everything back where it should be. Lift the bumper up and remember to reconnect that port from the grill to the bumper. Have your mate line the grill up and you can then insert the top 3 screws. Now you can clip the sides back into place and get cracking with the undertray and all that jazz.

Fitting Plastic Surround

Ready to Refit

Undertray On

Arch Liner On

With everything in its original place you can now step back and admire your new grill :).

Finished Article

As a passing note, the crash bar is SILVER and should you want it black to negate any clash with the new grill I recommend you grab some matte black hammerite and paint it whilst you change the grill. It is a really quick job and I totally forgot to do it - oops! Furthermore, I opted to remove the plate holder as I will hook the plate on to the grill near the bottom section.

I hope my guide was concise and provides you with the help needed should you fit the RS3 grill. Please feel free to ask me any questions!

Cheers!

Connor

Attachments

• Under Bumper.JPG
    Under Bumper.JPG
    817.9 KB · Views: 1,356
Last edited:
Reactions: AL_B, PaddyMcpadington, Leevr and 14 others
how long did it take you all in then ?

Yeah, forgot about that! The first car took a good 3 plus hours. Mine was circa 2 hours. It can be done in 1 hour and 30 mins if you're capable enough.

Reactions: Owain S3
Good guide this, well done :thumbs up:

I did one for the 8P when I had one. It was well used by other members and I'm sure yours will come in handy to a lot of 8V owners.

Reactions: CCWS3
Where is your mates garage? I want one but wouldn't dream of doing it myself.

Now I've seen it on I think it'll look awesome, any chance of some closer pics of the front parking sensors?

Where is your mates garage? I want one but wouldn't dream of doing it myself.

Now I've seen it on I think it'll look awesome, any chance of some closer pics of the front parking sensors?

Just past Peterculter! Yeah, I'll send some pics later when I'm home.

Reactions: alijnclarke
Way to far from me :( but the pics would be great cheers

can I see your new license plate fixing?
Really good job and definately looks better.

I don't have it fixed... it's just chilling being the windscreen (half in view) for now until I get pulled over, haha.

Current view from the front:

IMG 0944

Will look much better once I paint the crash bar black and actually find a private reg I like so I can have short plates made and fitted.

It could be an option to put the lincense plate in one side but the front light washers are so in the middle.

Thanks for this guide, i printed it out and used it today, im not as proficient as you are, CCWS3, as it took us a fair old while.
But got it finished

2015-05-04%2016.13.44.jpg

Also had some trouble with the three bolts holding on the side of the bumper, like you warned they were hard to get to. The side with the washer fluid reservoir on is the worst, the other side not so bad.
Nearly rounded off one torx head so switched to this, i would suggest others to use this and not a standard torx screw set:

2015-05-04%2013.10.04.jpg

Just used cable ties for securing the sensors back on

Well happy with the result and wanted to thank you again for the guide it was spot on

Reactions: vacant and CCWS3
those top clips were a ******* nightmare, whole job took me hours but I was doing it on my own....

Reactions: Bandicoot51
Great guide, I swapped the origional silver grill to an audi Black one. I'd seriously not attempt this if you're not confident as its a right cnut of a job getting the old grill out and the new one in.
Mind you I didnt have prising tools, just a plastic spatular :-0

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and just bought my A3 last week. I've been looking at this thread and actually fitted my RS3 grille today. Everything went fine with it except for the fact that there's an issue with my front parking sensors, they keep beeping as if there's something really close to them, even though there isn't. Has anyone else had this issue and managed to fix it?

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and just bought my A3 last week. I've been looking at this thread and actually fitted my RS3 grille today. Everything went fine with it except for the fact that there's an issue with my front parking sensors, they keep beeping as if there's something really close to them, even though there isn't. Has anyone else had this issue and managed to fix it?
can you bring them out anymore, will have to be flush or slightly sticking out

Had a similar prob with my parking sensors when fitting the RS grille. I have found that they don't need to be flush but do need to be sufficiently forward to not cause the fault tone. When I was at Le Mans Audi were showing off the new RS3 and the parking sensors on it were recessed back from the flush position. Persevere with your efforts as it only takes 1mm out to cause the fault. On one of my sensors I removed the black rubber gasket and refitted the sensor and this was enough to rectify the fault tone.

can you bring them out anymore, will have to be flush or slightly sticking out

Had a similar prob with my parking sensors when fitting the RS grille. I have found that they don't need to be flush but do need to be sufficiently forward to not cause the fault tone. When I was at Le Mans Audi were showing off the new RS3 and the parking sensors on it were recessed back from the flush position. Persevere with your efforts as it only takes 1mm out to cause the fault. On one of my sensors I removed the black rubber gasket and refitted the sensor and this was enough to rectify the fault tone.

I did push them forward as far as I could when I fitted the grille but I've obviously not pushed them quite far enough. They were a really tight fit in the housing so I think I'm just going to take them out again and try and open up the hole a little bit, see if that makes it any better.

It didnt upload before

Attachments

• frontangle.jpg
    frontangle.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 7,939
Wish I had found this guide last week!

Took me 4 hours on my own to swop out grilles! Found it a bitch of a job compared to my last A5.

Well worth it though

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441012551696111

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441012583239639

Reactions: robps3, Rob2k68, Bandicoot51 and 1 other person
Awesome!
I can't wait to get the rs grill fitted! I'd opt for the one with the lower Quattro writing.

Luckily for me, I work for a main dealer and have run of the workshop on weekends, so tools and ramp is all at the ready. Yay.

Panther black. Black styling pack and an rs grill...I'm making myself moist thinking about it.

Reactions: Max-Robbo and Bandicoot51
Lol.....yea amongst other letters! Pretty handy those kids foam sets

Reactions: Bandicoot51
I'm looking to getting one of these soon i did it on my 8p S3 and found it wasn't to bad a job but by the looks of it this 1 will require alot more patience!

e727c118d3ab4aec27f310767493cd58.jpg

Only way to go!!

Reactions: Vins and RO65ERS
Ordered mine on Friday so I will be expecting delivery tomorrow or Tuesday!

Yip sure does! Not looking forward to fitting it but will be worth it once it's on

remember there is a silver crash bar behind the grill which needs sprayed black on wrapped black!

On my 8p s3 I just put the foam bumper back in front of the silver so u couldn't see it but think I'll keep it out and paint it this time!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441628842760205
just took delivery of my rs3 grill to find the brackets for the number plate holder and parking sensors are non removable! I had no plans to use the plate holder and don't have parking sensors so this will look abit silly! Is everyone else's like this?

Reactions: Collinwither
Thats what they come like you can hardly notice when its on
d26fe537eefeec4ac0fad1b97fd37cfc.jpg

Reactions: SW14NY'S and RO65ERS