Fitting roof bars and roof box with an open sky system

DaiBlue

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was hoping someone could help me out with a query I've got. I've test driven an A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 Quattro this afternoon. The car is absolutely fantastic. It's 2 years old, but only has 4,000 miles on it (from an Audi dealership so no worries there). The spec is great, if a little unusual for a Sport. Brilliant black, upgraded 17" 5 spoke alloys, sat nav (not plus), xenons, open sky, cruise control, rear parking sensors. Bascially it's perfect for me and I want it!! Just debating the derisory price they've given me for my Mini Cooper S Clubman.

My query is regarding fitting roof bars and a roof box to the car, and whether it can be done as it has the open sky system (no roof rails). With being a Quattro, the boot is not brilliant - fine for day to day use, but will stuggle for family holidays with 2 kids and a pram. The ideal solution for those times would be a roof box - I'm just not keen on a bigger car such as an A4 or 3 series.

Has anyone done this to an A3 with an open sky system?

Any help would be really appreciated as I'm hoping to decide by tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Hmm - looks like you might struggle. After market bars don't appear to be compatible with cars without roofrails but that have an open sky roof:

clicky

Not sure if the Audi bars are different - maybe they'll fit?