Fitting oil pressure gauge.

Moxy89

Reaction score
I'm wanting to instal an oil pressure gauge to my Audi S3, I will be fitting a stack mechanical gauge, what is the easiest/most accurate way to go about installing one

Many thanks

Never heard of anyone fitting a pressure gauge to an S3, so I can't offer you any advice. You would need to replace the current oil pressure sensor switch with a more advanced sensor and modify the existing wiring to keep the dash bulb off, otherwise it would annoy the hell out of you.
Are you fitting an oil temp gauge too, as this is more useful in my book?

Would it be much easier to run an oil temp?
I wanted and oil pressure gauge for track use ideally

Oil temp is visible on the dash display on my S3, no sensor or gauges required as it's built in.

Not sure, I don't use it often.
Have you considered an OBDII connection to a phone app?
The likes of Torque Pro and OBD11 allow you to select certain PID's and display them on the screen. This could be a much cheaper and hassle free way, and allow more information to be available at a glance.

Reactions: Bryant1998
Is there a way to hold that data on screen tho? Mine disappears after 10 seconds ish

That's the issue with the built in oil temp gauge, it's not that easy to find it on the DIS menu, and when you turn the ignition off you have to go through it all again. If you track the car, then oil temp monitoring is vital.

I've heard good things about this gauge (and it supports oil pressure) - http://www.p3cars.com/audi/p3-analog-gauge-audi-8p-2006-2013/

Bit pricey, but you might get a second hand one.

Surely if there Is a display already it should be very easy to hook up a stack gauge up in one of the vents ?? Want something I don't have to flick through the menu to find every 2 mins

That's the issue with the built in oil temp gauge, it's not that easy to find it on the DIS menu, and when you turn the ignition off you have to go through it all again. If you track the car, then oil temp monitoring is vital.

I've heard good things about this gauge (and it supports oil pressure) - http://www.p3cars.com/audi/p3-analog-gauge-audi-8p-2006-2013/

Bit pricey, but you might get a second hand one.

It’s just a lot of work for very little gain, surely there’s a way to program the display to not automatically close the oil temp and return to main menu?

I know f**k all about coding and that so might be way off but sounds like it should be an easy one?

It’s just a lot of work for very little gain, surely there’s a way to program the display to not automatically close the oil temp and return to main menu?

I know f**k all about coding and that so might be way off but sounds like it should be an easy one?
Not when it’s comes to driving hard/track time. Not a huge amount of effort to potentially save your engine

Maybe you should look at fiscontrol.de ?
I've been looking at them and their progress as it seems much better than polarfis for 8p audis.
Haven't tried one for myself and doubt i will anytime soon.

I was looking a while back if there is a way to integrate mechanical gauges (2 or 3) in s3 interior without looking weird or being out of place.

Not when it’s comes to driving hard/track time. Not a huge amount of effort to potentially save your engine

I don’t mean being able to view it is little gain, it’s crucial info.
I mean that because you can already see the info from factory, but it won’t stay on screen permanently, it’s very little gain to be able to see it all the time.

Unlike boost gauge for example, which isn’t fitted from factory so is worthwhile info especially if you’ve upgraded your turbo etc

Maybe you should look at fiscontrol.de ?
I've been looking at them and their progress as it seems much better than polarfis for 8p audis.
Haven't tried one for myself and doubt i will anytime soon.

I was looking a while back if there is a way to integrate mechanical gauges (2 or 3) in s3 interior without looking weird or being out of place.
I have one in vent currently and matches the oem dials so looks perfect. I will figure out a way to run oil pressure etc

Reactions: S.

How is the 8P one twice the price of the 8V

They are nice I’m sure I’ve seen them before but way too much money for a gauge, and as Sam said it doesn’t do oil temp or pressure

How is the 8P one twice the price of the 8V

They are nice I’m sure I’ve seen them before but way too much money for a gauge, and as Sam said it doesn’t do oil temp or pressure
No idea why they cost so much.
Personally I prefer to use info in an app on my phone. A lot less expense and hassle. Personal opinion.

No idea why they cost so much.
Personally I prefer to use info in an app on my phone. A lot less expense and hassle. Personal opinion.

What app do you use mate? I’m assuming you connect to obd port and Bluetooth connect that to your phone?

(Also where do you mount you phone?)

What app do you use mate? I’m assuming you connect to obd port and Bluetooth connect that to your phone?

(Also where do you mount you phone?)
Torque Pro is one of the best for on screen displays. You can select almost any info you want and how you want it displayed. EG: a gauge, graph, numbers and you can pick shape and size too.
Yes you use a BT dongle fitted to the OBD port. I don't use the phone to monitor real time info so it isn't mounted, but you could easily get a windscreen or dash mount to put the phone is a visible location and view real time info if needed. If I recall it even has an alarm setting so you can set max temps etc and it will alert you. Do a bit of research on the app, it's dirt cheap (I think the pro version was less than a fiver and BT dongles are around £10-20).

I expect there will be a small amount of latency in this set up, but temps aren't going to rise that fast that it won't be able to keep up.

Torque Pro or similar would be perfect if it worked with CarPlay or Android, I’m surprised a developer hasn’t done this yet....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Torque pro does work with Android Auto.
I used to use it on my 66 plate Focus ST.
https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/uk.co.boconi.emil.obd2aa

Here is an example of what the dials can look like. different shape and size for demo purposes.
Rsz screenshot 20200413 121410 torque

Last edited:
Reactions: J0N
Torque Pro is one of the best for on screen displays. You can select almost any info you want and how you want it displayed. EG: a gauge, graph, numbers and you can pick shape and size too.
Yes you use a BT dongle fitted to the OBD port. I don't use the phone to monitor real time info so it isn't mounted, but you could easily get a windscreen or dash mount to put the phone is a visible location and view real time info if needed. If I recall it even has an alarm setting so you can set max temps etc and it will alert you. Do a bit of research on the app, it's dirt cheap (I think the pro version was less than a fiver and BT dongles are around £10-20).

I expect there will be a small amount of latency in this set up, but temps aren't going to rise that fast that it won't be able to keep up.

Any recommendations on a Bluetooth obd thing?

Yes. Check what OBD it needs as Apple may be different to Android.
For Android most OBDII Bluetooth Dongles are compatible. I don't know if Apple are the same, they may need Wifi instead?!

I have the P3 gauge - it doesn’t do oil pressure or temp.
It does if you wire it up to the actual sensor, but agree it should be able to get the oil temp via OBD. But there again, it's so damn expensive.

Reactions: samuelh_888
Unsure what you mean by that? I thought obd was universal?
OBD is universal, that isn't the issue.
The issue (if there is one) will be with Apple connectivity. It may not connect to Bluetooth OBD connectors, it may need a WiFi connector instead (more expensive), but I do not know. I'm just trying to sign post you to do your research BEFORE buying as my Android experience was very cheap and easy.
Hope that clarifies things?

OBD is universal, that isn't the issue.
The issue (if there is one) will be with Apple connectivity. It may not connect to Bluetooth OBD connectors, it may need a WiFi connector instead (more expensive), but I do not know. I'm just trying to sign post you to do your research BEFORE buying as my Android experience was very cheap and easy.
Hope that clarifies things?

Yeah nice one mate appreciate that, understand what I’m gonna be looking into now

Reactions: Daveyonthemove