fitting fmic - any info please

When i fitted a fmic to my golf i didnt notice any extra lag.
I have recently changed from a top mounted charge cooler(shortest route possible) to a large fmic and 2.5" pipes on my GT4 and didnt notice any extra lag on that either.It doesnt take much to pressurise the pipes and intercooler and although it might be a couple of hundred rpm more you shouldnt really notice the extra lag.

Surely your GT4 has a bigger turbo than the tiny ko3??! so you wont feel as much of a loss as I do.

Its not a massive turbo but is bigger than a Ko3.My golf had a ko3 then a ko3s on it though.

When i fitted a fmic to my golf i didnt notice any extra lag.
I have recently changed from a top mounted charge cooler(shortest route possible) to a large fmic and 2.5" pipes on my GT4 and didnt notice any extra lag on that either.It doesnt take much to pressurise the pipes and intercooler and although it might be a couple of hundred rpm more you shouldnt really notice the extra lag.

I noticed a couple of hunderd RPM on my S3 when I had the big SMIC and FMIC in series...but it was worth it for the boost I could run.

You can tell on the road, and see it clearly on the dyno charts.
It's probably worth it though...but I'd still try to get one with as large a surface area as possible, but a volume as close to the SMIC as possible.

since fitting my intercooler every so often when i come to a stop my revs drop off a little then kinda of scrabble around to try and idel as normal again, as if theres an idel control fault could this be due to the incressed capacity in the intake system
any one got any help here for me then????? thanks in advance

any one got any help here for me then????? thanks in advance

It's possible I suppose. I never had a problem, nor know anyone who did...

But when I blew an IC hose off my car wouldn't idle...so there is a potential issue between what the MAF reads and what the engine sees...although I wouldn't have thought a bigger IC would mess things up so badly that it was out of the range the ECU could auto-calibrate to.

Have you had the faults scanned?
Could be a MAF issue?
TB problem? (needs cleaning, or aligning)

I'd try to get the faults checked first to see if you get any clues there.

It's possible I suppose. I never had a problem, nor know anyone who did...

But when I blew an IC hose off my car wouldn't idle...so there is a potential issue between what the MAF reads and what the engine sees...although I wouldn't have thought a bigger IC would mess things up so badly that it was out of the range the ECU could auto-calibrate to.

Have you had the faults scanned?
Could be a MAF issue?
TB problem? (needs cleaning, or aligning)

I'd try to get the faults checked first to see if you get any clues there.
yeah i have checked and no codes present, i have also re-set the throttle body using the scanner, i am going to clean it on monday and see what happens. i thought it would be a bit strange for the fmic to effect things but doesnt always do it normally does it when i come of the throotle at higher revs then to a stand still. which is why i questioned the fmic,

kev check all the vacuum hoses are connected, when i fitted mine and started the engine, the revs were all over the place and it stalled... turned out to be a vacumm hose fell out, behind the DV... :)

well i have just cleaned out the throttle body couldnt be bothered to wait till monday, so i shall see what happens overthe weekend now

Or this on a3 for alternative route for shorter pipe runs
andysfmic.jpg

DSC00071.jpg
Top piping,dv piping is going to change to cold side set up which will look neater.Pipe run is much cooler ie not over exhaust manifold(good design or what?)as original,so original sh*t metal pipe can be removed,also pipe run is as short as possible so not to introduce lag.Temps on a day with ambient of 26,with repeated runs highest temp was 36 all checked on vag com.Also end tanks custom made to aid flow with deflectors fitted inside also.Concept racing in Hereford made it up in a day,with me and a mate assisting,dv pipe was made at 7pm hence not so neat i had to get home to cardiff.Cheers Andy

that looks rather sexy, is that inlet manifold the standard one polished??

It was a one off,i was hoping we could have got a kit made up(my mates were already using him to make ibiza kits),but due to the amount of trimming required to the bumper and front panel we decided not to bother.So if the guy would do another one not sure how much he would charge,mine was cheap as my mates were buying in large quantities of core and pipe material so paid trade on materials plus Bob's labour to make it up,outstanding attension to detail by him,apart from the dv pipe because we wanted to go home and it was late.Bob had a wicked race car he was building from scratch,a open cockpit carbon bodied beast,he bought the carbon body panels from a now defunked race team and made the chassis ,suspension and everything else himself to fit the body,was running a bike turbo engine.I have some pics somewhere,which i shall put up so you can see the quality of his work.

hi mate,sorry if i have been lazy and not read the whole post,but what is this intercooler? and where did you get it? sean

Or this on a3 for alternative route for shorter pipe runs
andysfmic.jpg

Kev, what size hose clamps did you use? 79-85 or 85-91, and Mikalor supra or supra W4 PRO?

not to sure cant really remember but i think more like 79-85 but just used jubilees

since fitting my intercooler every so often when i come to a stop my revs drop off a little then kinda of scrabble around to try and idel as normal again, as if theres an idel control fault could this be due to the incressed capacity in the intake system

Hi,

Do you happen to have Vag-Com ?

I would be interested to know your ECU P/N... maybe its 8L0906018N ?

Cheers
Morgan

Hi,

Do you happen to have Vag-Com ?

I would be interested to know your ECU P/N... maybe its 8L0906018N ?

Cheers
Morgan
no unfortunatly but since removing and cleaning the throttle body and then re-setting it with a snap on scanner sems to be ok, maybe i could get the ecu info of the scanner ill try and remember to look tommorow once back at work, why is this a fault you have seen before?? its a 2000 apy engine if that helps, do you no of another solution then??

Hi,

I know of someone experiencing the exact same symptoms on an APY, with 018N ECU hence why I ask if you know your ECU P/N.

They too have fitted a FMIC, amongst lots of other bits.

They are certain the vehicle never exhibited this behaviour before they started there modifications, but are unsure at which point during there build this symptom appeared.

Its almost like the ECU cannot "catch" the revs, when coming to a stop & depressing the clutch. The revs dip, & idle is unstable for a few secounds, although this does not occur all the time.

Cheers
Morgan

Hi,

I know of someone experiencing the exact same symptoms on an APY, with 018N ECU hence why I ask if you know your ECU P/N.

They too have fitted a FMIC, amongst lots of other bits.

They are certain the vehicle never exhibited this behaviour before they started there modifications, but are unsure at which point during there build this symptom appeared.

Its almost like the ECU cannot "catch" the revs, when coming to a stop & depressing the clutch. The revs dip, & idle is unstable for a few secounds, although this does not occur all the time.

Cheers
Morgan

yeah sounds exactly the same as my faults were, as said above they are the repair i have carried out also when i come to a stop i leave it in gear for longer before depressing the clutch to come to a stop so as to give the ecu more time to cope. try what i have done if not allready sholud help, although i have forgoten to read my ecu details if it was possible using the scanner

Hi,

Thanks for the update, if you do get a chance to try & check the ECU details with your scanner it would be good.

We actually swapped the throttle body out for one known to be functioning perfectly, as one of our first tests in trying to isolate the issue.

I was just interested to see if in fact your affected APY uses the same ECU version, as I have strong suspicion this issue is in part down to HW changes, & also in part to this particular ECU variant.

Cheers
Morgan