Fitting dash cam

slizza786

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking to fit a dash cam dual front and rear camera to my 04 plate a3

My car didn't come with rain sensor so I'm looking to hardwire it into the fuse box next to the driver side with a piggyback fuse splitter and ground it with the bolt nearby however this item only comes with a car cig charger. I was thinking of converting the cig charger to a hardwired one with some soldering however am I wrong in saying something else is needed apart from just a piggyback fuse splitter and a ring terminal for ground? Iv seen some hardwire kits on sale but kind of confused as to what the chunky box is. Iv attached a picture and circled it:

0c2c27725ea564d28687b6ceb7eb6e37.jpg

So is it possible to to convert the cig lighter to a hardwired one?

Last edited:
I used one of those piggy back fuses to a switched live. Black to a close earth nut.
Then ran the cable up the A pillar then across the top.

I used one of those piggy back fuses to a switched live. Black to a close earth nut.
Then ran the cable up the A pillar then across the top.
Lee what do you mean by switched live?

I read somewhere that I need to use it on a "hot start" fuse

Live with ignition so when the car is running it's live, switch it of and the camera goes off.

Reactions: Trevor Locke
Ahh so the same as a hot start fuse. Was your cabling just a simple earth and live wire and nothing like the picture I showed in the first post?

Yeah but no need, keeps the wiring hidden out the way, the way i said it above

Or what you could is just hard wire it to your cigarette lighter directly and leave the camera to run full time so if anyone hits your car when you leave it parked your catch them.

If it's your daily drive, your battery shouldn't have any issues in regards to draining either

Or what you could is just hard wire it to your cigarette lighter directly and leave the camera to run full time so if anyone hits your car when you leave it parked your catch them.

If it's your daily drive, your battery shouldn't have any issues in regards to draining either
This cam has a g sensor apparently so any shudder should turn it on to record for a short while. Wiring it through to the fuse box should not be so hard in fact quite easy with the a3 especially because of the fuse box being right next to the A-pillar

Reactions: Trevor Locke
This cam has a g sensor apparently so any shudder should turn it on to record for a short while. Wiring it through to the fuse box should not be so hard in fact quite easy with the a3 especially because of the fuse box being right next to the A-pillar

Which one have you chosen?
G sensor only records for a short while keeping it as a logged recording to make sure it doesn't get overwritten however you will still need a constant live feed of power even when parked

Which one have you chosen?
G sensor only records for a short while keeping it as a logged recording to make sure it doesn't get overwritten however you will still need a constant live feed of power even when parked
Some reason can't add the link but if you go to amazon and paste:

ELEPHAS 2.7" 1080p HD dual Car Dash Cam front and rear Dashboard Camera DVR with 170 Degree Wide Angle, night Vision, Loop recording Cycle video, Support Max 32G Memory Card

This one seems decent, it looks like it'll have charge to turn on of the direct power isn't being supplied

Some reason can't add the link but if you go to amazon and paste:

ELEPHAS 2.7" 1080p HD dual Car Dash Cam front and rear Dashboard Camera DVR with 170 Degree Wide Angle, night Vision, Loop recording Cycle video, Support Max 32G Memory Card

This one seems decent, it looks like it'll have charge to turn on of the direct power isn't being supplied

Looks a little big, looking for something a bit more stealth for myself
Also just be a bit wary if leaving it in the sun or plugged in full time as it's battery will fry out very quickly, maybe a good idea to change it to a capacitor

Looks a little big, looking for something a bit more stealth for myself
Also just be a bit wary if leaving it in the sun or plugged in full time as it's battery will fry out very quickly, maybe a good idea to change it to a capacitor
You plug the power into a hotstart fuse slot so will only turn on when the ignition is on using a hardwire cable. This one has all the features and the reviews came out great. Stealthy would be nice but I think I can have this one out of site from the drivers seat with it behind the rear view mirror and the fact it comes.with a rear view camera is a plus

You plug the power into a hotstart fuse slot so will only turn on when the ignition is on using a hardwire cable. This one has all the features and the reviews came out great. Stealthy would be nice but I think I can have this one out of site from the drivers seat with it behind the rear view mirror and the fact it comes.with a rear view camera is a plus

Let me know how it goes.

Definitely big plus getting rear view camera too in that price

On my A4 I utilised both the spare 12v sockets. One in the arm rest and the other in the boot for the dash cams. They only power when ignition is on though.. However it was easy to hide all the cabling and 1080p recording for less than £200 it's a bargain. Insurance was lower at renewal too when mentioned...

Reactions: slizza786
Update: managed to fit the dash cam and for for £60 total its absolutely money well spent. Massive thanks to @LEE69 for spoon feeding me all the stuff I needed.

Bought a hardwire kit as well as ring terminal and piggyback fuse splitter and 5 Amp fuse. After some soldering and using the rear wiper as the hot start fuse slot it was working no problem. Managed to wire the rear camera through the interior roofing just by squashing it in (it gets frustrating at times but stick to it). Topped off with a 32gb memory card and works perfect with auto recording as soon as the ignition is on.

Well recommended

Reactions: LEE69 and Jake 61
Very nice any pics? :)

Indeed.

20151015 081344
20151015 081410
Resized

I'll try upload a video footage when I get home as I don't have a micro SD adapter on me at work but I can say the video quality is very clear and smooth for both front and rear. I set the camera screen to turn off after 10 secs from starting to avoid distraction. It also has a feature where if you are in a collision, the camera will detect this by its G-sensors and will lock that video file so it isn't erased by the loop recording.

There are many other cameras out there but I went for this one as it had a lot of additional features that may come in handy in the future. To be honest if a noob like me can do this then anyone else can too.

Reactions: Smir
I ran a piggy back fuse to the cigar lighter fuse and connected a cigar lighter adapter behind the fuse box, and plugged my dash cam into that, works brilliant and no trailing wires as they are hidden behind the A pillar and headlining

I'm trying to do the same thing, bought the next base hardwire kit, ran the cable to the interior fuse box, Piggy backed onto the rear heated screen fuse but I have constant power to the camera?? Even with the car locked the camera is still charging. I've tried running the cable to the fuse box under the bonnet and picked a fuse, this worked, ignition off the camera went to battery, ignition on it started charging. I've tried several fuses in the internal box but they all have the same result.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Should have said, I have an 12 plate A3

I'm trying to do the same thing, bought the next base hardwire kit, ran the cable to the interior fuse box, Piggy backed onto the rear heated screen fuse but I have constant power to the camera?? Even with the car locked the camera is still charging. I've tried running the cable to the fuse box under the bonnet and picked a fuse, this worked, ignition off the camera went to battery, ignition on it started charging. I've tried several fuses in the internal box but they all have the same result.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Should have said, I have an 12 plate A3
When you wired ur to the fuse box under the bonnet and the cam would go to battery mode, did the cam every turn off?

When it was wired under the bonnet the cam turned of when I turned the ignition off, after the camera battery ran out.
When it was wired internally it was constantly charging, even with the car locked.

Have you tried another fuse? The most common one to use is the rear wiper. The rear heated windows isn't always on after ignition if I'm correct whereas the rear wiper will be

Have you tried another fuse? The most common one to use is the rear wiper. The rear heated windows isn't always on after ignition if I'm correct whereas the rear wiper will be
Yes, tried most in the internal fuse box. Same result. I think it's something I'm not doing but have tried the process of elimination and can't seem to work it out.

I've seen this video before, surely using the piggy back that comes with the kit would do the same thing.

Have you got a link to the kit you got? Are you not able to just keep it hard wired to the fuse box under the bonnet

Thanks for the help guys. I've started from the beginning and it's working. Hooray!!

Reactions: slizza786
That being said I am selling my full dash cam setup (used for only 6 months as I have sold my A3). The kit is literally plug in and play into the fuse box with everything included:

*Front (Full HD) and rear (720p) dash cams with box: Amazon product
*Wiring kit with piggyback fuse and 5amp fuse.
*32gb memory card.
* Great condition.

Had no issues with it and works perfectly. Here is a video of some of it in action. Audio removed but sound is crystal clear:

Front

Rear

Pics of whats included:

20160410 121949 20160410 121957 20160410 122013 20160410 122035

Selling for £80 P+P included. Pm me if interested.

Last edited:
I wired mine straight into the power supply near the rearview mirror, havnt had any issues with can-bus etc.. Bioman1966

I wired mine straight into the power supply near the rearview mirror, havnt had any issues with can-bus etc.. Bioman1966
Any more info on what wire colour etc you used?

Ive used a few of these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400930115381?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
on diff cars. Putting one in my S3 now but just found the cig liter is perm on. Like your rear view mirror power feed idea. Ill mount one of these in the headliner to reduce voltage to 5v.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1Meter-D...98844700&tpos=top&ttype=price&talgo=undefined

Thanks Baz

Last edited:
Sorry to hi-jack this, but I am looking to hard wire my dash cam into my 2015 A3 TDI sportback. Can I ask where you grounded it? I am looking to piggy back one of the fuses in the fuse box behind the glove box, but I cannot see anywhere near there to ground it. Where did you ground yours? Anyone?

Many thanks

Sorry to hi-jack this, but I am looking to hard wire my dash cam into my 2015 A3 TDI sportback. Can I ask where you grounded it? I am looking to piggy back one of the fuses in the fuse box behind the glove box, but I cannot see anywhere near there to ground it. Where did you ground yours? Anyone?

Many thanks

One of the 10 mm headed bolts is screwed to the metal frame

Posted using a S8+ with Magic

One of the 10 mm headed bolts is screwed to the metal frame

Posted using a S8+ with Magic

Where is this roughly. Pic? Only can't see anything in or around fusebox I can use. Does it involve removing any trim?

Remove the fuse cover housing and it's one of the bolts holding the dash to the frame

Many thanks

8v forum? They'll know more about where the fuses/grounding points are in your car than ours

Many use the heated rear screen fuse on the 8p, drivers side fuse panel behind the headlight cluster