1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Fitting - Bilstein B8's & H&R 25mm Lowering springs

spiker Jun 27, 2020

1. spiker

spiker trying to growl less these days

I have an issue with my left offside damper / top mount - I have a knocking sound ( tw tyres seem to think it relates to a problem with the fitting of the damper or the mount itself. Tracking the car has proven pointless and it immediately goes out again and I have lost the inside tread on the front NS too

Bottom line is that if I am having to pay for investigation / strip down and then new dampers/mounts etc I may as well go ahead with the planned upgrade to B8's and H&R springs which was the ultimate plan

Does anyone have any recommendations for a suitable garage to fit these if I/they supply them ?

I have in the past used Awesome and Badger for work ( 10 + years ago ) but would be interested in anyones elses suggestions - recommendations

I am based in the midlands

Or is anyone here on the forums interested in doing the paid work to fit dampers/springs and possibly replace the top mounts

Its a 2003 S3 8L

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. rhubarb4

rhubarb4 Certified Audi nutter Gold Supporter

Hi if your based in the Midlands then give Jody a call at Midland VW, they are a great garage with decent prices, https://www.midlandvw.co.uk/

Chris.

spiker likes this.
  4. spiker

Thanks Chris I will

Anyone else have any suggestions ?

5. b2

b2 Active Member

spiker likes this.
  6. spiker

Read a lot of the early ESS-Three posts and I previously did go the Koni FSD route and they were great (once I was used to them) like the post says

Havent seen this thread though so thankyou

7. spiker

Looking at this diagram https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a3+s3+sportb+lim+qu/a3/2003-209/4/411-411005/

I plan to replace the top mounts on the front - should I go powerflex or not - any advice?

I think that top mounts are only relevant to the front but I cannot check as there is no diagram for the rear shocks - does anyone have one ?

I dont know what i will find until I strip down each corner but in preparation which consumables normally need replacing ?

Bump stops ? if so which are those on the diagram - anything else commonly replaced ?

Basically want to reduce the delay when I do this and not have to rely too much on replacement bits once I start stripping it down

8. spiker

9. b2

b2 Active Member

Without an inspection prior to changing anything it is difficult to tell. If anything looks worn out like ball joints, drop links, arb bushes, etc it would be worth replacing them at the same time. You need to get the car on a ramp and get a mechanic to have a quick butchers.

10. spiker

Thanks for the reply

Thats not possible before the event but I have orderd some items I think I will probably replace looking at the parts diagrams . Its use or return with Audi so no great risk other than the shock of spending a couple of hundred just on nuts,bolts and stops

I will do a write up of the process and what I find along the way

Asim1 likes this.
  11. spiker

I have both powerflex and OEM versions of the top mounts and will make a decision on which ones to use nearer the day

Probably going to replace other bushes as they wear with OEM ones this time rather than go on a poly bush crusade like i did with the last 2 s3's

If thats my plan will having powerflex top mounts be an issue ?- do they make musch difference in isolation ?