Fitting B5 TIP!! but.....possible oil leak found....thoughts please!

tjkherz

Reaction score
Just a few pics of my new B5 TIP.

BUT....can anyone shed any light on the oil which seems to be over the turbo housing? has it blown a seal or something?

Only noticed properly once id put the pics on the computer!

Thoughts please.

SDC13433.jpg

With 3' adaptor...
SDC13436.jpg

Old and new....
SDC13434.jpg

SDC13439.jpg

SDC13442.jpg

Done.....
SDC13446.jpg

not sure on the oil but, ooooooh shiney!

could come from the rocker cover or a split breather pipe, I would have used some carb cleaner and cotton ear-buds to clean the compressor wheel first.

oil breather into your old TIP or the 1/2 moon thing looks like its leaked in the past

Ok, when you say 1/2 moon thing, you mean the thing in picture 4, above and to the right of my hand? What is that?

You may be right about the oil breather may have also leaked too, there was no jubilee on it when i dismantled it, and the hose is knackered too, going to source a new piece, all corroded plastic inside!

Yes mate the half moon thingy is the Cam Adjuster Gasket. Mine went too and oil has leaked out. I paid about £10 for a new one but you'll need to get a rocker cover gasket too as that'll be coming off.

Sorry to thread hop, but remember my old thread westle where i said i had a hole in my engine, you said it was the 1/2 moon gasket, well the gasket in the picture above is also leaking on mine but the hole is at the front of engine, not there, if that makes sense lol.

sorry to thread drop but how much is it for the b5 tip and would i need any other parts swapping from a forge tip thanks matt

Cheers mate, will do.

Thanks for the advice, have ordered new rocker/cam adjuster gaskets anyway as it looks like that is definitely a leak!

Get all these parts mate as its good to replace old gaskets if these parts are coming off and they're cheap.:

Rocker cover gasket: W058 198 025 A £18.15
Cam adjuster gasket: W058 198 217 £5.52
Inlet manifold gasket: W058 129 717 D £3.05
Throttle Body gasket: W028 129 748 £1.83
"Blue" gasket seal. From any motor place. The sealant needs to be put on the blue parts of the adjuster gasket.

You will also need some rocker cover studs (haven't got part numbers to hand). There's 9 in total 5 small ones and 4 large ones. The small ones are 40p each and the large ones 50p each and it's just incase you snap any of the studs when doing this job.

I will say that it is a bit of a daunting job as you get the rocker cover off. The best way to do the adjuster gasket to to loosen off 3 bolts on the VVT unit and lift the unit up to slip the old gasket out an the new one in. The Audi workshop manual suggests removing the front cam to slacken the chain but this isn't neccasary plus if you remove the cam you will need to put it back in the same position or it's bye bye valves!

ive got a leak in the same area, noticed on sunday when i took the gearbox out, engine is a bit oily and the side of the turbo has a spray of oil on it like in the photos.