Fitting an Aux input to my A3?

Reaction score
Hi all, joined up specifically to post this!

My A3 was fitted with a cassette player for some reason, not a CD player. Looking at the original purchase receipt it appears it was a base spec car which an old person has fitted a load of options too - heated seats, climate control etc and a load of other stuff I wouldn't have picked over a flippin' CD player. But they were old, and probably didn't own CDs, so they are forgiven.

Anyway, I've looked into the solutions and asked on Pistonheads and it would seem a decent option would be to fit one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A2-A3-A4-...item3f0448b4c8

From what I can work out, I need to take out the glovebox, drill a hole for the 3.5mm jack to go through, and attach the gizmo to where the CD changer would be. I don't really understand where the little white box goes, or what the red/black leads are for.

Is there a guide on doing this, as I'll freely admit I'm not brilliant at practical things!

For the record, this is my stereo, and my glovebox (although you probably know what that looks like!!)

DSCF2002.jpg

Glovebox.jpg

Cheers ears. :icon_thumright:

hi mate.

lol yeah my 1.6 was a factory order and even back then in 2005 i was SHOCKED that a CD player wasn't standard fare... have you thought about swapping for a Concert II unit? it's still single DIN but it's got a CD player and because most ppl swap them out for RNS-E they're not sought after at all i.e. cheap. it's one of those few mods as well that'll improve your resale value because - no offence intended - i'd never buy a car of this age without a CD player.

in regards to the AUX in, i'm not sure if this can be done on that unit. it definitely can on RNS-E and the later Concert II+ and Symphony II+ in lieu of an iPod connection. there's even an Audi part for it, and it'd look miles better imho. it may well be the case it can be done on this unit as well, but i can't be sure.

this isn't quite what you're looking for but it may help:

rnseauxin - Audi Retrofit

sorry to jump in on your thread mate, but just to save starting a new thread...

The item that stupidlikeafox posted the ebay link for, would this work?
I'm not really bothered about the cd player showing the track names or being able to select the song on the HU, i just want to know, if i plugged this into the back of my concert stereo, would it play my ipod?

Thanks.

haha didnt realise the link from the OP was for the same item ive linked in - I can only vouch for the Connect2...and for £25, its a no brainer, get it bought - with any aux in you get what you pay for, you dont want your ipod making loud noises through the 29p jack lead as your trundling down the road, trust me

haha didnt realise the link from the OP was for the same item ive linked in - I can only vouch for the Connect2...and for £25, its a no brainer, get it bought - with any aux in you get what you pay for, you dont want your ipod making loud noises through the 29p jack lead as your trundling down the road, trust me

What HU you got mate?

i had a symphony 2 unit in my old 8L S3 which had the ISO connectors this unit will have ;)

My HU is a 'Concert' i think. its a 57 plate... does this sound about right?

will it fit this hu?

na, i suspect yours will be quadlock, therefore it should just be as simple as getting the Audi retrofit kit and connecting the wires as per your HU wiring diagram - you'll prob need it coding in too

alternatively i know connect2 do a quadlock version too if you dont want that hassle, i assume that will work the same as mine did

how much am i looking at for the audi one?

im not sure as to what im looking for haha.

ive been scouring the web and i have come across a 'retro-fit guide'...

i quote...

''If you don't have an RNS-e but would like to add Aux In to your Concert\Symphony II+ then you can connect L,R and GND to the above pins and then using VAGCOM recode your head unit to

0?x0xxx:
+1 = Analog Input (AUX)
+2 = Multifunction Steering Wheel
+4 = Telephone
In other words if you don't have phone prep or MFSW then you would recode your wheel to 01x0xxx, if you have MFSW you would recode to 03x0xxx, and if you have phone prep and MFSW then you would recode to 07x0xxx.''

i understand most things there, but once all of this was complete, how would i actually select the aux input on my stereo?

sorry for being a pain.

on yours i think you access it via the CD changer button (on the connect2 at least).....

i'd just buy that and feed a lead into the glovebox tbh