Fitting aftermarket headunit into S3 with Bose

LukeTripod87

Reaction score
Hello there I have just bought a 2002 S3 with fully amplified Bose but as it is fitted with the standard Concert tape deck I wanted to install my kenwood headunit. After realising one of the connectors wouldn't mate up I purchased a PC9-408. I plugged it all in today however the radio is on but no sound comes out at all and when I take the key out of the ignition the headunit stays on?? Just wondered if any of you have come across this before?
Many thanks

I've avoided an after market HU on my BOSE due to it being a royal pain in the ****. I think it's because of the bose amp and there is also a seperate smaller amp above the sub that powers just the rear speakers. I'm not 100% sure but I think you need to replace your BOSE amp to stand any chance of using an after market HU.

Someone with a bit more knowledge will be along shortly. Or alternatively you could also post this up on the ICE board to see what they say.

It should work with the pc9-408. did you connect the purple wire if i remember to a + feed? with out that the sound wont come out the rear speakers.

They only problem I know of/was told of was that newer cars have Kcan on them and as a result it's a right royal pain to get working. I'm not 100% sure but it was something to do with the head unit not being able to communicate the rest of the bose system it's on and thus it wont work. Now whether that's true or not. I know for sure my old 2001 s3 ran fine with the pc9-408 and RF amplifier .

I used an Autoleads speaker line Bose adapter for ages with my Alpine headunit... there is a little thump (never really noticed it much) on turning the unit on etc but that was it... worked brilliantly....

I know others suggest using the RCA adaptor version that converts the line out of a head unit but I never really had an issue with the speaker version

<tuffty/>

It should work with the pc9-408. did you connect the purple wire if i remember to a + feed? with out that the sound wont come out the rear speakers.
Thanks for your reply. There's a blue and white cable that's flapping around on its own with a crimp connector on the end that is on the pc9-408 adapter. Is this the one you mean?

thats the one, its the switched live from the HU to turn the amp on. i did the same thing when i did mine....

blue/white from headunit to remote on adaptor (normally plain blue)

i used the pc9-409 dunno if it makes any difference. i have bose. i plugged in the adapators and swapped it over. Job done.

I used an Autoleads speaker line Bose adapter for ages with my Alpine headunit... there is a little thump (never really noticed it much) on turning the unit on etc but that was it... worked brilliantly....

I know others suggest using the RCA adaptor version that converts the line out of a head unit but I never really had an issue with the speaker version

<tuffty/>

i have that thump n it gets quite annoying. Whats the rca adaptor version thing called?

edit: Ignore this.

Send back ur autoleads one and buy one of these

CT51-AU01 Bose Active System Adaptor - Install Adaptors

just had a long chat with the audio guy at CAD and he said they stopped selling the autoleads adaptors because of that thump. The black box in the picture does all the conversion of signals etc so there are no thump noises

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashley g
i have a sony head unit in mine with bose system got every thing working although carnt get the radio to work its dont pick up any signal do i need the 12v signal convertor? or are these a waste of time and better getting full arial wire done.

i have a sony head unit in mine with bose system got every thing working although carnt get the radio to work its dont pick up any signal do i need the 12v signal convertor? or are these a waste of time and better getting full arial wire done.

If you're going to mess about with the radio you might as well get a DAB head unit as they'll be cutting over in a few years.

I may look into a new headunit now as you lot dont seem to have had that many issues. I was led to believe that it was a PITA

Ok so shall I just order those leads from caraudiodirect and my headunit should work ok?

bum. just bought the PC9-410 as it seems i have the wrong adaptor in mine (its for half system only, hence no front speakers) ***!

so i am likely to get a nice thump. great. was only £15 delivered mind.

bum. just bought the PC9-410 as it seems i have the wrong adaptor in mine (its for half system only, hence no front speakers) ***!

so i am likely to get a nice thump. great. was only £15 delivered mind.

yeh the pc9-409 will work but ull get a thump or click noise. hence the need for the other adpator above.

Luke: this should sort you out unless theres another problem somewhere.

Guys I run a Alpine X001 MP3 headunit (which is the dogs in my opinion) through the standard full Bose sound system. Mine runs perfectly no clicks or popping noises now. (believe me it popped like a b*tch when selecting a different source, skipping, pausing, on, off etc) Horrible. Anyway solution was...

Run two of these bad boys - had mine for 3 years and you'd never know it.

Ground Loop Isolator : InCar Speakers : Maplin

Not cheap but you have no other option otherwise. Only difficulty is finding the room behind the headunit to fit them as they're not small... But can be routed down and hidden away. I have a double din and ripped the crappy standard Audi Sat Nav out (as it was terrible) so I had plenty of room.

Last edited:
Ok feeling tad bad for slating the Audi Sat Nav - it was absolutely awesome at the time when it was released (9 years ago) but with no postcode search (well 1st 3 digits) and old maps wasn't worth it. TomTom wipes the floor with it. Anyway back to the topic in hand.. ;)

new adapter is wired in and sounds awesome! all these problems and it turned out i just had the half amplified adaptor! stupid previous owner!

anyway, sounds great and does indeed pop like everyone said. may get some isolators to sort that.

thanks all

thats the one, its the switched live from the HU to turn the amp on. i did the same thing when i did mine....

blue/white from headunit to remote on adaptor (normally plain blue)

How do you go about connecting the blue/white wire and what do you fit it to?