fitting a s3 upper strut brace on a3?

matt5594

Reaction score
is it possible to fit a standard s3 upper strut brace onto a a3 t sport? anything instructions if anything special needs to be done (drilling etc)

same goes for lower strut brace, anything special to take note of whilst installing?

An S3 or tt strut brace will fit to a a3. you just need to drill 3 holes in the strut top to mount it. on the tt strut brace on mine i also removed a bracket on the brace to give more clearence.

drill holes to the actual strut brace itself or on the car?
a web guide/tutorial would be nice. :)

okay that makes a bit more sense, whats directly underneath the holes to be drilled?

can i accidentally drill into something i shouldnt (if i dont remove the tyres like the in pics). what size drill pieces will i need etc?

are these the correct parts:
8L9 805 629 A - Audi S3 upper strut brace
8N0 199 403 B - Audi S3 lower strut brace
N 908 106 01 – riv nut x2, for lower strut brace
N 104 176 01 - bolt x2, for lower strut brace
N 904 773 01 - washer x2, for lower strut brace

..i assume the bolts for the lower strut will work for upper too?

Ive fitted lower brace to mine, rivet nut holes already in wihbone for them , i made up small tool to expand the rivet nuts in holes that fits lovely, you may get away with just hammering them into holes and tightening up the bolts.

As far as the upper one is concerned i dont know what size holes are in the brace , but when you buy it you will be able to work out what you need , i would say it would be for 6 or 8mm bolt, remember the S3 has studs already pre welded to the top of the suspension turrets.

I was going to fit one when i put my Eibachs on , but didnt get round to it , will fit one later tho . Looking at chromed one or may make one myself as its my job so saves a few pounds :cool:

would there be any point in just installing the upper strut without the lower one? or is it best recommended to have both?

i was thinking of a upper strut brace aswell (i know i know, only 1.6) bcoz i was getting one for £30 so i figured what it offers for that price is worth it, but as skanky says, does it only really work in conjuction with the lower is only upper ok??

You might as well do them both the S3 lower brace is about £17 from the dealer and about £3 worth or fixings.

i asked my stealer for a quote on the upper brace with correct nuts/bolts/washers, came to £60, does that sound right when the lower brace is only £17+fixings?

Thats about right for a price for a new upper brace although i got mine off ebay for £28 so that can be had for a bargain. They are only aluminium (sp) im told as i recently sent mine to be polished. I think a steel one would be far more rigid!

Any pics of the lower brace and fixings Neil?

concoursneil said:
Ive fitted lower brace to mine, rivet nut holes already in wihbone for them , i made up small tool to expand the rivet nuts in holes that fits lovely, you may get away with just hammering them into holes and tightening up the bolts.
so no extra holes or anything special required for the lower brace?

No the holes are already there you just need to buy some rivet types nuts which push into the holes which are already there then when you tighten the bolts up the rivet nuts expand and fix themselves in the subframe.

I thought that the lower brace was cheap till I bought it the realised it was just a bit of tubing that has been squashed flat with a hole in each end, and a bit of foam stuck on one side.

j4jon said:
you just need to buy some rivet types nuts
this lot would do, yeah?
N 908 106 01 – riv nut x2, for lower strut brace
N 104 176 01 - bolt x2, for lower strut brace
N 904 773 01 - washer x2, for lower strut brace

Looks about right I'll check the part numbers when I get home. I didn't get the washers as the dealer didn't know the part number, and then I didn't need them.