Fitting a cabriolet with uprated ARBs - guidance needed

endlessheadroom

Reaction score
Hello there fellow Audi folk

I'm new round here but have a question:

I've got an a4 cabriolet. I love the car but feel it could be a bit tighter in the handling department!

Having replaced a broken rear spring today the car feels better - but its got me thinking: should I uprate the ARBs and if so, with what?

Help please with some advice and options.
I recall some mention of RS4 ARBs being good - but does this really make any difference or is it just snake oil?

Likewise, whats the general cost for this?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: endlessheadroom
How does it cancel it out?

Anti roll bars increase roll stiffness on the axle to which they are fitted. Increasing roll stiffness makes the car corner more flatly, but it also increases the "slip-angle", which means a reduction in outright tyre grip on the affected axle.

So, if you add a thicker anti-roll to the front of the car, you increase front roll stiffness (and increase front tyre slip angles) relative to the rear, so the car understeers more in corners. Audis already have prominent understeer becase the engine sits ahead of the front axle line (or as Clarkson once described it, it's like having a dead horse tied to the front bumper.

But if you add a thicker anti roll bar to the back of the car and leave the front unchanged, you increase rear roll stiffness (and increase rear tyre slip angles) relative to the front, so the car understeers less in corners, and that's much nicer.

If you add thicker bars front and back, they cancel each other out.

Reactions: Tolak, endlessheadroom and g00se
Do they offer these in the UK, in GBP?

I got mine from Eddie at WOT Motorsport (on here).. he is an offcial 034 importer.. i think i paid 250 all in iirc (inc VAT, import duty, shipping etc) - great service

i have mine on the softer setting, and its still way stiffer than the 22mm RS4 bar was :rock:

goose