Fitting 10mm Spacers to the rear of my B5

Donald_MacIver

Reaction score
I am having a few problems with fitting 10mm hub-centric spacers to the rerar of my A4. I bought a full set of spacers, and the fronts went on fine, but the rears don't want to go on. They are the correct PCD and the correct centre bore, but it seems that the spigot length on the rear hubs is causing a few issues. The length of the hub spigot is about 12mm, which means the 10mm spacers don't sit in far enough against the face of the rear hubs. Anybody else had this problem, and how do you get round it? Thanks in advance for any advice which helps me out!:beerchug:

what spacers?
H&R fit fine

I would be surprised if the hub spigot is 12mm, that seems very high

I had a very similar problem with a set of 10mm spacers on the rear of my Sport... I ended up having the chamfer in the centre bores machined out so they would fit on!

But then another set I had were fine and fitted straight on.

A local engineer/machine shop will be able to help you out.

Daft question, but have you put the front ones on the back? and Vice Versa?

I had some for my 205 GTi and they were different for some reason but there were no markings.

what spacers?
H&R fit fine

I would be surprised if the hub spigot is 12mm, that seems very high

The spacers were bought from ebay, but are high quality alloy spacers, £45 a pair! No idea of the manufacturer, but they are specific to Audi and VW fitment with the correct spigot for centring the wheel on the spacer when fitted.

I had a very similar problem with a set of 10mm spacers on the rear of my Sport... I ended up having the chamfer in the centre bores machined out so they would fit on!

But then another set I had were fine and fitted straight on.

A local engineer/machine shop will be able to help you out.

Right, did you have the chamfer on the actual spacers machined off, or was it the chamfer on the hub you had machined off? If i machine the spacers, will i not then loose the locating ring for fitting the wheels? If i buy a new pair of rear brake discs, and have them machined down a few mm, would that be the best way to sort it? I don't really want to go up to a 15mm spacer if i can help it. The wheels i am fitting are genuine ronal s-line 5 arms with an ET43 offset.

Machine the INSIDE of the hub-bore of the spacers fella so that they fit all the way down onto the hubs. If you look inside, you'll see a chamfer at the outside end of the internal bore. This is what you need to remove. DO NOT increase the actual internal diameter of the spacer... just remove the offending internal chamfer section.

If the hub spigot is actually 12mm like you say, they simply wont work, as once against the hub 2mm of the original spigot will be poking thru the middle of the spacer, meaning you lose the spigot on the spacer

I would send them back and buy a better set that you know will fit your car, simple

I ran 10mm H&R spacers and they sat perfectly with an identical spiggot ring on the outside of the spacer.

I think if you have to machine them they are not specific to your car as advertised and would send them back, not the kind of thing you want to be messing about with IMO.