Fitted Osram bulbs

Amchlolor

Reaction score
The main and dip bulbs took under 5 minutes to replace.
The driver's sidelight bulb was relatively easy too.
The passenger sidelight though....jeeeeez,what a job.
Some very sore wrists after that one.

I went for a night country drive to test the bulbs and I'm reasonably impressed,but glad I only spend £40 at the same time.
There is an improvement,although not a massive one.The light is definitely 'whiter' and they do seem to pick up road signs better than the standard bulbs.
As I said,at £40 I'm reasonably happy.If I'd spent more I think I'd have been a bit hacked off.

I still think the 'cut off' on dip is a bit too severe,which is obviously a design 'fault'. If I could 'raise' (tilt back) the headlights a tad I'd be happier but we couldn't really see a way to do this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Bowfer,

You are right about the distance that the beams project. I changed them to Osrams on my old A3 because driving at night on country roads was a nightmare.
I have got Xenons on this car and its made driving at night much better.

Replaced all the bulbs on my A3 with 100w items from halfords. Easy job, no blown fuses, job done. Less that £30 the lot. 2x H1 and 2xH7.

Why are the standard lights so poor on this car?

Easy!

Do you have an older model A3 Rickquattro ?
My A3 takes H7's all round.

He must have, H1's wouldn't fit the new lights and also illegal with 100w's...

You could buy the brightest bulbs in existence,they can't make up for the fact Audi 'design' the lights to cut off so abruptly on dip.
When fitting the bulbs we did notice the light units have a fair amount of 'movement' in them.
When we have more time we're going to see if we can tilt the units back a fraction,somehow.
There must be some adjustment in the units to allow for factory setting/MOT's etc.etc.

[ QUOTE ]
Replaced all the bulbs on my A3 with 100w items from halfords.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing you have to do now is wait for your wiring loom to melt...

[ QUOTE ]
You could buy the brightest bulbs in existence,they can't make up for the fact Audi 'design' the lights to cut off so abruptly on dip.
When fitting the bulbs we did notice the light units have a fair amount of 'movement' in them.
When we have more time we're going to see if we can tilt the units back a fraction,somehow.
There must be some adjustment in the units to allow for factory setting/MOT's etc.etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can adjust the actual headlight unit. But then it probably would fail an MOT !

Yep, mine is a 52 plate A3, takes H1 and H7 bulbs. Did this on other cars, no problems with the loom. It is something that I am aware of as the wire carries extra current. I do keep an eye on it. The fuses are still in good condition also. I have checked these too.

I dont get other drivers flashing me as if the lights are on main, cutoff on dipped is unchanged, Audi made no mention of the change when the lights were aligned.

Yes they are illegal but at least I can see where I am going! I think its unlikely I would have a chat with the police on this one.....

"You can adjust the actual headlight unit. But then it probably would fail an MOT ! "

How though ?
There's a little white 'cog' that may or not be significant.
Is that it ?

I've got 3 years before I have to worry about an MOT.

Bowfer, in another "bulb" thread, it was mentioned that the white lever was for mainland/UK adjustment (up for one, down for the other). Hope this helps...

Ben.

[ QUOTE ]
"You can adjust the actual headlight unit. But then it probably would fail an MOT ! "

How though ?
There's a little white 'cog' that may or not be significant.
Is that it ?

I've got 3 years before I have to worry about an MOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, not sure but think it is the white cog. You would need to drive up to a wall at night and check whether this adjusted it in any way.

I've just checked under the bonnet.
Each unit has a pair of white cogs,labelled 'V1' and 'V2'.
They are adjusted by a star type driver.
Any ideas which one does which ?
I'm loathe to 'experiment' in case I **** it up something rotten !!!

[ QUOTE ]
I've just checked under the bonnet.
Each unit has a pair of white cogs,labelled 'V1' and 'V2'.
They are adjusted by a star type driver.
Any ideas which one does which ?
I'm loathe to 'experiment' in case I **** it up something rotten !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mark the current position with marker pen and count number of turns then you should be able to put it back to stock at any time.

You're right Japper.
I'll have a fiddle tonight.

I might even adjust the headlights after. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif