Fitted new steering module for MFSW, no trip computer controls or power steering?!

MxGaza33

Reaction score
Apologies for another MFSW related thread, but I decided to fit my new steering module ready for when I get the wiring for the wheel. Everything went smoothly and it fitted in nicely as it should. However, after turning the car on the trip computer is stuck at the miles left in the tank reading and the controls for it no longer work. Also before the swap the steering would stiffen as you increased speed, but now the steering is really stiff even at crawling pace (I've not had it above 5mph as I'm too scared to leave my street!).

The part number for the module I installed is 8P0 953 549 C which I was told is the same part as 8P0 953 549 F because the part numbers were changed. The car is an 05 and the module I bought also came from an 05 A3.

What have I done?!:sorry:

Rev C is not the same part as rev F, you can ONLY have either rev E or rev F.

Sounds like you've installed C which doesnt even have the capability of Trip Computer, which certainly wont support MFSW.

Also with the steering being stiff, if there arent any lights on the dash then the chances are that you also have an incomptable slipring.

With the rev E/F steering ECU you need a Type 2 slipring (rev C or rev D).

Being a 2005, you more than likely had at standard, a 1K0 steering ECU with a Type 1 slipring.

I dont know what slipring wound be comptable with the 8P0 rev C but at a guess I would say Type 2, as Type 1's were typically only for the 1K0 modules.

Right hopefully I'll be able to send it back then as it was listed as being the same as rev F when I bought it. The only light on the dash is a yellow airbag light, but I accidentally turned the ignition on with the airbag out so will need reset in vagcom. Looked up the original ECU part number on rosstech (1K0 953 549 AF) and it seems I have a type 2 slipring. Dam thought I'd got a bargain on the ECU aswell, too good to be true I guess!

Rev C is not the same part as rev F, you can ONLY have either rev E or rev F.

Sounds like you've installed C which doesnt even have the capability of Trip Computer, which certainly wont support MFSW.

Also with the steering being stiff, if there arent any lights on the dash then the chances are that you also have an incomptable slipring.

With the rev E/F steering ECU you need a Type 2 slipring (rev C or rev D).

Being a 2005, you more than likely had at standard, a 1K0 steering ECU with a Type 1 slipring.

I dont know what slipring wound be comptable with the 8P0 rev C but at a guess I would say Type 2, as Type 1's were typically only for the 1K0 modules.

If it's a 2006MY ( '05 reg ) sportback like mine Jonny it could have a 1K0 rev AF with type 'D' slip ring. Wonder what version he took off in the first place ?

I suggest he puts it back to what it was and researches exactly what he has and what he subsequently needs !!

It's an 05 reg 3 door, I'll stick it back to normal tomorrow and have a look at the slipring, hopefully it has a visible part number to identify it.

Mike got it right, if your Steering ECU was AF then you'll have the Type 2 slipring (most likely the D). Just buy a rev E or F and you'll be all set to go.

Right another issue :( I've put the standard ECU and steering wheel back on but there's still no power steering, and the light I thought at first glance was the airbag is actually the power steering light which is still there. Is there anything I might have messed up while removing the ECU to cause this?

*Edit* Found a steering assist procedure on the rosstech site, and my steering is back to normal! :D

Last edited: