Fitted my FBMFSW

MarcQuinlivan

Reaction score
Website
audiretrofit.quinlivan.net
Finally got my hands on my FBMFSW last night and installed it almost immediately. It's amazing how much sportier the car feels with the FB wheel. The wheel is a DSG one so I'm hoping to be able to assign some other function to the flappy paddles.

Here's some before and after shots:

FBMFSW001.jpg

FBMFSW002.jpg

FBMFSW003.jpg

FBMFSW004.jpg

FBMFSW016.jpg

FBMFSW017.jpg

And now for some moody action shots!

FBMFSW009.jpg

FBMFSW013.jpg

FBMFSW014.jpg

The retro-fit king!

How long did that take? What sort of commands can you assign to the flappy paddles? Oil/smoke screens would be sweeeet!

Also interested to see what could be assigned to the paddles.

Excellent mod mate, looks the muts nuts! :hubbahubba:

I'm glad the wheel arrived ok to you, I packed it extremely well so should have been perfect Marcus.

Re: The idea I had about your paddles, as I mentioned need to work out if we can get spare pins in the FBMFSW loom to slip ring & also check the slip ring for spare tracks to wire to on the column from the steering wheel control module, as the paddles are rocker switches its a case of what you have on our car we can turn on/off with the pull of the paddles mate, I'm away for 3 weeks in Italy from wednesday so have to check it when I get back.

But funny you're testing the S3 cause I am seriously thinking of going back to an S3 & seen a few nice 8P ones from 20-22k that I might splash the cash on, whats your overall feeling of the test drive you're on?

N.

For the other guys, you cant assign the paddles to anything in VAG etc, we are talking about wiring the paddles to an alternative option, its not programmeable I'm afraid & its not a simple mod at moment anyway.

The retro-fit king!

How long did that take? What sort of commands can you assign to the flappy paddles? Oil/smoke screens would be sweeeet!

Less than two minutes - just a case of remove the old one and plug the new one in as all I was doing was replacing the MFSW with the FBMFSW.

Trying to think about what to use the paddles for, but nothing is coming to mind. Something relatively simple would be a gate controller and the TMPS switch I guess depending on how the paddles are wired in. I'm in no rush, so I'll wait for Nigel to take a look.

An `Anti Chav missile launcher` would be a cool mod
Left paddle to load, Right Paddle to fire.

I'm glad the wheel arrived ok to you, I packed it extremely well so should have been perfect Marcus.

Re: The idea I had about your paddles, as I mentioned need to work out if we can get spare pins in the FBMFSW loom to slip ring & also check the slip ring for spare tracks to wire to on the column from the steering wheel control module, as the paddles are rocker switches its a case of what you have on our car we can turn on/off with the pull of the paddles mate, I'm away for 3 weeks in Italy from wednesday so have to check it when I get back.

But funny you're testing the S3 cause I am seriously thinking of going back to an S3 & seen a few nice 8P ones from 20-22k that I might splash the cash on, whats your overall feeling of the test drive you're on?

N.
Yup, extremely well packed Nigel - good job!

Not picking the S3 up until this Thursday, but I'll keep you posted on my thoughts. I've been wavering over the past week and depending on the time of the day I'll be swaying one way or the other.

The funny thing is that every time I think I might be leaning towards swapping for the S3 I post something on the forum and see the lovely pic of my current car in my signature and think "do I really want to get rid of this?". I did two 100 mile round trips over the weekend and each time I got out of the car I asked myself the same question. And when I was driving back from my parents' house last night with my new FBMFSW I was thinking the same thing.

I guess the test drive will answer a lot of questions for me.

Less than two minutes - just a case of remove the old one and plug the new one in as all I was doing was replacing the MFSW with the FBMFSW.

For anyone else considering the mod we've done, you have to make sure you have the correct slip ring & steering wheel control module if you intend to do this mod, newer cars have the latest for this anyway, but older ones like 04 need an upgrade of both.

Marc, what can I say, they look grand when done hey fella, my new one still has the matt feel of the leather, its weird, the perforated wheel also has a slight pattern on the airbag aswell, detailed or what, but I really want the alcantara version now, had that on my old S3 & the S4 B6, loved it as summer wasnt hot & winter wasnt cold, lol.

I got myself a new interior, leathers seats with white-ish alcantara middles & door cards, thing is I cant fit until back from italy, damn ittt, but thats why I like alcantara as the streering wheel for summer/winter, dont burn on seats & dont have cold seats.

Yup, extremely well packed Nigel - good job!

Not picking the S3 up until this Thursday, but I'll keep you posted on my thoughts. I've been wavering over the past week and depending on the time of the day I'll be swaying one way or the other.

The funny thing is that every time I think I might be leaning towards swapping for the S3 I post something on the forum and see the lovely pic of my current car in my signature and think "do I really want to get rid of this?". I did two 100 mile round trips over the weekend and each time I got out of the car I asked myself the same question. And when I was driving back from my parents' house last night with my new FBMFSW I was thinking the same thing.

I guess the test drive will answer a lot of questions for me.

Is TDI a 140 or 170?
Do you have a map?
If not it will make your Derv a lot more enjoyable to drive.

That looks very nice Marc. A lot better than your old steering wheel.

Marc, I noticed that you have the bluetooth module on top of the lighter cover. Wasn't there space to fit it inside like the photos?

Nah it is a couple of millimetres too wide. I think he must have butchered the lighter and recessed the controller into it. He also looks to have removed the base off the controller. The base of it is the bit that is too wide but I didn't want to take the controller apart to make it fit. I thought I might need the 12v socket at some point too which is another reason for not hacking bits out of it.

Nah it is a couple of millimetres too wide. I think he must have butchered the lighter and recessed the controller into it. He also looks to have removed the base off the controller. The base of it is the bit that is too wide but I didn't want to take the controller apart to make it fit. I thought I might need the 12v socket at some point too which is another reason for not hacking bits out of it.
Ok thnx:)

Looks great.
How much do these FBMFSW go for? I have DSG so would like the paddles.

anywhere from about 400 euro upwards on the bay. However with most of them you'll need to buy an additional loom for the airbag as the TT one is different to the A3 one. You may also need to purchase the S-Line or S3 badging for the base of the wheel. Most of the ones on ebay seems to be DSG ones for some reason.

do an advanced search on ebay.co.uk for "Audi Lenkrad" and select "Worldwide" for the search.

You mentioned aerlier that if this MFSW is to be fitted to another 8p without...
You will need extra wires etc??
I have a 2005 audi a3 2.0tdi sportback and am wanting to fit the MFSW
Can someone shed some light on this for me
thanks in advance
john