First time A3 owner, (1.4tfsi 150ps) - remap options, Revo Stage 1?

Krash

Reaction score
New member here - hello everyone.

I'd like to thank all those on this forum who post and take the time to share their knowledge and experience, I think I've spent about a week solid reading this forum and the resulting branches of research - from performance and aesthetic modding to detailing and car care. I've never been what I would call an "enthusiast", though it looks like that may change..

I'm waiting to collect a 15-reg A3 Sportback having had my old 05-reg plate Civic written off by the insurance, I've had a couple of test runs in the new vehicle and really quite impressed with the improved power output from the smaller engines. Technology's great eh.

That said, as I plan to keep the vehicle for at least 5 years I was pondering some upgrades and was hoping I could leverage the collective experience on this forum for input and comment before I commit to any of them - specifically, for this thread, my remap options. I've searched online and (mostly) these forums and most of the posts seem to come from those with an S3 so I am opening a discussion as to the benefits of this route on the 1.4tfsi COD engine.

The things I am considering are:
1 - Can the remap be reset to stock and "leave no trace"? How difficult / costly is it to do this?
2 - Can the remap be disabled / set back to stock when others (The wife) drive the vehicle. No points for guessing who wrote off the Civic...
3 - Give an effective (evidenced) boost, not just "seat of the pants feel" (Not that I'm averse to it, preference is on "data")
4 - Cost

Two different solutions would appear to be available:
ECU "Box" (middleware), which appear to meet the first two criteria:
FSR from DTUK (Some evidence provided in http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/1-4-tfsi-150ps-tuning-options.228877/)
Racechip - Very mixed reviews, similar cost to FSR.
MTM M-Contronic (Most costly, but seems to get the best reviews)

And a "proper" remap, which would definitely meet criteria 3:
APR - similar cost to Revo (exempt the SPS) but can't see a confirmation it can be reset back to factory settings, and if so at what cost.
Revo - A box to change the map (SPS) and the confirmed ability to "reset to complete stock" (though at further cost?) would appear to meet all criteria.

From the research I've done it would appear the Revo gives more bang for the buck, can add a box to manipulate the map without needing an engineer (though one would be needed to reset to stock) and is currently the remap option I am currently leaning towards.

Thanks in advance for your input and please, if I've misunderstood or am wrong about something I would welcome the correction.

I had a TDI Tuning box fitted to my car last weekend and so far am really impressed with the outcome. Well worth the money !!

I had a TDI Tuning box fitted to my car last weekend and so far am really impressed with the outcome. Well worth the money !!

Is that the FSR from DTUK? Did you fit it yourself?

Hey Krash,

I had my Audi A3 1.8TFSI 8V mapped last June by revo.. I didn't get the SPS due to the £100 extra cost as I didn't need it because only I drive my car.

In regards to the SPS I learned you can have 3 setting stored on in.

For example
1 Revo Map
2 Stock
3 -

And it's fairly easy to change the map. When turning the car u just plug it in having selected which map preset you require in the OBD PORT and bang that's it.

In regards to the performance the revo map I received it has been amazing. The power curved is very linear, gear one has been under powered but as you get rolling from 30mph it's like a different beast. Car gets to 120/130 with hardly any effort.

Fuel economy has been severely compromised I average around 21/25mpg around town, although I also have a full revo air intake.

Point to be noted is with the map you will require oil more regularly and brake/tires will wear much quicker. Other than that probably the best mod I have undertaken.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

APR - similar cost to Revo (exempt the SPS) but can't see a confirmation it can be reset back to factory settings, and if so at what cost.

Yes you just take it back to dealer and get it flashed back....bit of a PIA if you ask me.....sounds like you would prefer a piggy back solution as you seem more worried about warranty than me....and I notice you didn't mention JB.....go to Facebook S3/RS3 owners page and you'll find loads of info there.
.....and remember.....YOU HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY :)

Is that the FSR from DTUK? Did you fit it yourself?

No its not from DTUK. Its a different company altogether called TDI-Tuning. There based in chelmsford and I was visiting the father in law who lives there so popped in and got them to fit it took around 10 minutes. They look easy enough to fit yourself though.

With TDI Tuning if you decide to change car you can have your box removed and have it reprogrammed for around a 100 pounds to your new car where as I dont think that is something DTUK offer. Thats just 1 plus in my opinion.

I have found that there customer service is great, have received a few phone calls from them, emails etc and I literally could not fault their service what so ever. Id highly recommend them.

https://tdi-tuning.com

No its not from DTUK. Its a different company altogether called TDI-Tuning. There based in chelmsford and I was visiting the father in law who lives there so popped in and got them to fit it took around 10 minutes. They look easy enough to fit yourself though.

With TDI Tuning if you decide to change car you can have your box removed and have it reprogrammed for around a 100 pounds to your new car where as I dont think that is something DTUK offer. Thats just 1 plus in my opinion.

I have found that there customer service is great, have received a few phone calls from them, emails etc and I literally could not fault their service what so ever. Id highly recommend them.

https://tdi-tuning.com

Thanks Mike, it looks interesting. I take it you've not received any errors on the DIS from using it?

Yes you just take it back to dealer and get it flashed back....bit of a PIA if you ask me.....sounds like you would prefer a piggy back solution as you seem more worried about warranty than me....and I notice you didn't mention JB.....go to Facebook S3/RS3 owners page and you'll find loads of info there.
.....and remember.....YOU HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY :)

haha, I don't mind paying for me to play. Can't have the other half having fun, I'd never get it back!

Appreciate the heads up on the facebook group, will check it out.

As for the warranty, yeah it does concern me but more for the grief I'd get from the aforementioned boss-wife if I invalidated it and ended up needing it...

Plus, p/ex value (particularly to an Audi Approved garage) takes a hit so just trying to cover my bases.

Just ordered DTUK box, estimated delivery is mid of next week (I'm from Greece).
Hopefully you will have some feedback by next weekend!
Hopefully (again) I will not face any issue :hushed:

Reactions: Krash