Facelift First RS 3 Saloon to NZ buyer?

Well during my drive home I went past a cyclist. I took a massively wide berth, fully on the other side of the road, gently accelerated past at the speed limit and he waved a w4nker gesture to me. Charming.

Well during my drive home I went past a cyclist. I took a massively wide berth, fully on the other side of the road, gently accelerated past at the speed limit and he waved a w4nker gesture to me. Charming.

ha ha yeah exactly lol !
Some peope hear the car & think you are driving at huge speeds because of the noise :)

Reactions: Radman
j9hfGSq.jpg

I have no idea what they were going for here. The cupholder area and the side of the center console has a brushed aluminum texture, but the part that's most visible/has all the buttons is plain untextured plastic.
Also, my sunroof rattles when it's slanted open since day 1, going to have that checked out later.

I had that a couple of weeks ago in the S3. I got to the top of the rev range to beat traffic to give him nearly a whole lane of space, he was shaking his head.

I do sometimes feel the hawk eyes of passers by burning into the back of my head, haha.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Give me my PFL over the FL any time. That new one just hasn't got the snap crackle and pop factor.

Reactions: Radman
j9hfGSq.jpg

I have no idea what they were going for here. The cupholder area and the side of the center console has a brushed aluminum texture, but the part that's most visible/has all the buttons is plain untextured plastic.
Also, my sunroof rattles when it's slanted open since day 1, going to have that checked out later.

I'm pretty sure that's how it is on the S3 too, not sure about the A3's.

I wouldn't mind a PFL but I can't go back from the tech in the FL S3.

j9hfGSq.jpg

Love the alcantara on the centre console though ... that looks great :sunglasses:

I'm pretty sure that's how it is on the S3 too, not sure about the A3's.

I wouldn't mind a PFL but I can't go back from the tech in the FL S3.
Can't compare FL S3 to PFL RS3! S3 like a souped up S Line. PFL RS3 is an animal!

Last edited:
Reactions: Terminator x
My RS3 is here. Don't mind the crudely edited number plate.
A31Q5wE.jpg

r24ULei.jpg

SFYPXbA.jpg

JN6xVmG.jpg

My friend brought out his mclaren 650s to play.
7lvGZVy.jpg

The sound is absolutely monstrous. Also, yeah the pops and bangs when downshifting are gone, you've got slight overrun burble instead.
Car doesn't really keep up with the 650s, but it kinda does in sound.

That is awesome!!! Congrats. Beautiful car.

Can you do me a huge favor and measure the distance from the wheel face to the fender on both the front and the back wheels? I'd like to know how much offset I have to play with. Thanks!!!!

Also, do you mind sharing the VIN (either here or in PM)? Would like to look up the wheels and need VIN to do that.

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My car's getting ceramic coating done, don't have it for a couple of days. I can do that when I get it back.

The only trade up I'll be doing is to the RS4 when it arrives next year!
I'm hoping to keep the PFL RS3 too... I've loved that car more than I've ever loved a car!

The RS4 will be a £70k car with good spec.

Reactions: ComputerControlled
Yeah man, I reckon so!

Expensive car, nice car at that though. I'm jumping in and out of my Dad's A5 courtesy at the moment and the interior is stunning, totally fallen for it.

The RS4 would be pushing my budget too far, it wouldn't fit in the garage and the V6 disappoints me. If the new RS4 was a V8, I'd probably move heaven and earth to get my hands on one haha. The B8 was my dream car all the way through school but the warranties are ending and they are too expensive on a maintenance front alone.

Hopefully the new V6 turns into something when it arrives, but Nurburgring videos make it sound totally silent in comparison to the RS3 testing for example.

Reactions: ComputerControlled
I appreciate they're very different cars but for £70k I'd be considering a 991 Carrera S. Admittedly you might need to go a year or two old.

Expensive car, nice car at that though. I'm jumping in and out of my Dad's A5 courtesy at the moment and the interior is stunning, totally fallen for it.

The RS4 would be pushing my budget too far, it wouldn't fit in the garage and the V6 disappoints me. If the new RS4 was a V8, I'd probably move heaven and earth to get my hands on one haha. The B8 was my dream car all the way through school but the warranties are ending and they are too expensive on a maintenance front alone.

Hopefully the new V6 turns into something when it arrives, but Nurburgring videos make it sound totally silent in comparison to the RS3 testing for example.
The RS3 is more of a hooligan though, that's its appeal, no? I hope that the V6 will have its own beauty to it...

I appreciate they're very different cars but for £70k I'd be considering a 991 Carrera S. Admittedly you might need to go a year or two old.
Family car for me though DOC!

I considered waiting for the RS4, or going for the RS5. I've also looked at the Alfa Romeo Giulia QV. Controversial I know, but I'm not a big fan of the new RS5 looks and I expect the new RS4 to be similar. In my opinion, the RS3 (pre-FL or FL) is a better looking car. The new interiors are nice, and we have a new 4M Q7 as well which has an amazing interior, but the RS3 isn't bad, ever so slightly showing it's age but still looks better than any BMW and most MB's. The updated MMI and Virtual Cockpit really do go a long way to making the interior feel up-to-date.

As I've noted before I'm looking forward to having something a bit smaller and nimbler feeling than my 335i M Performance sedan. I expect this will be my last ICE car, one I may choose to keep in the garage, in 3 or 4 years I'll look at the electric options that are available...

I expect this will be my last ICE car, one I may choose to keep in the garage, in 3 or 4 years I'll look at the electric options that are available...

Same here. Crazy isn't it. In fact, I almost bought a Model S instead of this RS3. Only reason I didn't is b/c the AP2 and FSD features are aren't widely turned on yet for regulatory reasons and as a result the car distinctly feels like it's in beta still. It's *almost* there, though. So, I decided to go with the RS3 while that stuff matures a little. But, there's no question that the next one will be electric and autonomous. It is nutty to think this is the last ICE car I'm gonna buy, but it's the truth.

Electric or not? I am gonna keep at least a couple of cars preferable on petrol. I don't really see the future as pure electric because of the problems to get for instance lithium but that can change to something other later. Hybrids are probably the best solution today but can also change in the future and for shure petrol/diesel are not gonna dissappear from the earth because of for instance historic values and so on.

An electric car won't be able to produce a 5cyl warble and the like. That's my biggest issue with electric cars.

I'm a petrol head not an electric head !

No electric for me until there are no petrol cars on sales any more.

Reactions: Radman, Terminator x and AudiNutta
An electric car won't be able to produce a 5cyl warble and the like. That's my biggest issue with electric cars.
Agree, one of the reasons why I went for the RS3 and not a Tesla. Not to mention Teslas are not great drivers cars.

Going from the RS3's 5 pot glorious roar to a mute electric sewing machine .... I cannot think of anything worse !

Yeah yeah I know the electric cars are quick and that's their ace card but the amazing sound that the RS makes has introduced a whole new dimension to driving enjoyment to me.

Electric is the polar opposite !!!

I have driven a Tesla 90D in insanity mode. It really was mighty impressive but very soulless.
I work for a large German multi-national with a vested interest in an electric future. It will come but it is further away than is being reported - although, the VW diesel fiasco has accelerated things.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattvandyk
HA! I should've known that was coming. Relax, fellas. Here's what I'm saying. I drove a P100D and was seriously considering either that or the 100D; if you're knocking these cars and haven't driven one, I highly recommend you check one out just to get a sense of what we're talking about. There is something intoxicating about being able to go insanely fast; 0-60 in 2.5 seconds is faster than it even sounds and it sounds fast; and, in the same car, be able to get in and have it take you where you want to go without you having to do anything. For many of us, half the time driving is enjoyment, and the other half the time, it's a chore (commute, stop-n-go traffic, errands in town, etc.). The Model S (and other EVs) have the promise of being able to deliver the enjoyment part while taking the chore part off your hands. Best of both worlds. Yeah, you're going to have trade-offs, and the loss of those things that makes a beautifully-crafted petrol-engined car magical, but there's a lot of upside too.

But, like I said previously, even the P100D is not "there" yet; in the US, at least, the AP2/FSD features are mostly turned off for regulatory reasons, and the car feels intentionally crippled, like it's the beta version. If I'm going to spend $120K+ on a car, it can't feel that way. So, for the time being, I'm going to get and enjoy the hell out of an RS3, but I'm going to do so knowing that, in all likelihood, it's going to be the last ICE car I'll ever buy...not because I don't love them, but just because I think that by the time I replace it (5-6 years from now), that dual-role promise of EVs will have matured into reality.

Don't the tesla's take 30 mins warming up before ludicrous mode will work?!

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Don't the tesla's take 30 mins warming up before ludicrous mode will work?!

TX.

Ludicrous mode was on from the get when I drove the P100D. It works best after the battery has warmed up, but that's not that different than an ICE car. Hell, even "cold" it's violently fast, and it's not like an RS3 is cracking 3 regardless of how long it warms up. That said, that alone is not enough to justify that car; gotta have the AP2/FSD to make it worth it. Without that, RS3 >>>> Model S. I'd much rather go a little slower to 60, but have that I5 screaming and all the other things that make the RS3 awesome. The Tesla is disturbingly fast, but it's a little sterile; like being launched on a modern roller coaster.

Furry **** but not in same price ballpark as the RS3 to be fair. Whilst it can dash to 60 doesn't it start to slow down after that? I'd be interested in it's 0-100 or 0-124 time.

TX.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Furry **** but not in same price ballpark as the RS3 to be fair. Whilst it can dash to 60 doesn't it start to slow down after that? I'd be interested in it's 0-100 or 0-124 time.

TX.

Totally not fair. Agreed. ****, a P100D is fully twice as much as a loaded RS3 in the US. But, that's part of the point. Until they get their ducks in order on the automation side, there is no reason for anyone to take them seriously at that price point. What they're "selling" is (a) crazy speed when you want to drive it, and (b) full auto when you don't. Until both of those pieces are in place, there are better options out there...the RS3 among them.

Incidentally, there's a nice head-to-head of an RS7 and a P100D on YouTube. It's worth watching even though I think it undersells the Tesla.

But the time is coming.............once BM/Audi/MB/Porsche get up to speed the abilities of an electric car will increase exponentially.
I have already started thinking about delaying any future car purchase as once it reaches a tipping point then it will be electric all the way (whether the consumer likes it or not), think of being one of the last people to buy a petrol high performance car just as the mainstream goes electric..............your petrol car will be worth what? I would have been looking at a SQ7/Macan/RS6 type things (fast and big enough to carry two dogs) but in reality in another 5-10years time their used value could be worth diddly. The VW group would love you to buy premium S/RS/R models but on the other hand so much of their R&D is now in electric so don't look at the manufacturers for support.

I know a lot of well off people (who used to own fast petrols) who bought Teslas and not one single one of them would ever go back to an ICE (and that is having bought an American car!), imagine when the Germans get involved..........going to be a very interesting 5 or so years me thinks.

But the time is coming.............once BM/Audi/MB/Porsche get up to speed the abilities of an electric car will increase exponentially.
I have already started thinking about delaying any future car purchase as once it reaches a tipping point then it will be electric all the way (whether the consumer likes it or not), think of being one of the last people to buy a petrol high performance car just as the mainstream goes electric..............your petrol car will be worth what? I would have been looking at a SQ7/Macan/RS6 type things (fast and big enough to carry two dogs) but in reality in another 5-10years time their used value could be worth diddly. The VW group would love you to buy premium S/RS/R models but on the other hand so much of their R&D is now in electric so don't look at the manufacturers for support.

I know a lot of well off people (who used to own fast petrols) who bought Teslas and not one single one of them would ever go back to an ICE (and that is having bought an American car!), imagine when the Germans get involved..........going to be a very interesting 5 or so years me thinks.

Right. Remember, what started this little convo was a comment by another poster (and seconded by me) that this RS3 is probably our last ICE car.

Some more facelift pics coming through.

Nardo grey RS3 saloon rear:

From the front:

Another nardo grey:

Daytona grey RS3 saloon:

White front close up:

Reactions: AudiNutta and weaks4uce
Nardo suits the sportback better. Conversely, Daytona suits the saloon better.

i think black pack is necessary on nardo, daytona and glacier....blue is for alu-pack....for what its worth....that pick of the nardo with black pack from the rear looks very tasty....