First oil change

John Pilkington

Reaction score
Hi,have been quoted £128 for an oil change off an independent audi garage.this will be it's first oil change as car is 12 months old.car has only done 3500 miles so could I wait another 12 months of would it be advisable to have the oil changed now,regards

Put it this way castrol edge £35 4ltrs oil filter £14.00 takes 1/2 hour lower cover about ten screws work it out.

And I would wait bit longer unless your doing motorway mileage up to you

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: John Pilkington
I'd say that with that low a mileage you should be on fixed interval servicing, not Long Life, so get it done now, and certainly don't wait another year. It's not much of an investment against the cost of the car, and that price is a typical indie price for oil and filter.

I'm in west Yorkshire I got a full service on my sportback air filter. Oil filter fuel filter and oil im talking oem parts at an indie £130 inc vat it's not about being tight with the cash...ive just done my own rear shocks. Front discs and pads now I'm technically minded but its pays to shop around.

I do just a little bit more annual mileage than you, but i would still have the oil and filter changed once a year if i was you.

Reactions: John Pilkington, Phutters and pburv
Had an A3 8p engine go 'pop' due to 'Long Life' servicing schedule..... Since then i have changed oil every 12 months regardless of miles covered.:icon thumright:

Reactions: John Pilkington and leonwilliams
I'm same once a year I do alot of motorway short runs

Reactions: John Pilkington and pburv
Hi,have been quoted £128 for an oil change off an independent audi garage.this will be it's first oil change as car is 12 months old.car has only done 3500 miles so could I wait another 12 months of would it be advisable to have the oil changed now,regards
What does the mmi say? If you are under 10k miles a year you should be on a fixed 12 month service. If you don't service when the mmi says to and something happens you void the warranty.

Reactions: John Pilkington and pburv
Put it this way castrol edge £35 4ltrs oil filter £14.00 takes 1/2 hour lower cover about ten screws work it out.

And I would wait bit longer unless your doing motorway mileage up to you

What does the mmi say? If you are under 10k miles a year you should be on a fixed 12 month service. If you don't service when the mmi says to and something happens you void the warranty.
Mmi states next oil change 11600 miles/163 days.next inspection 15500 miles/297 days.

Mmi states next oil change 11600 miles/163 days.next inspection 15500 miles/297 days.
This is baffling to me.
Your car is 1 year old from new and done 3500 miles. Variable servicing is IIRC 19000 miles/2 years, but your car should be on fixed annual servicing like mine where first one is an oil change then second one is oil change plus inspection.

This is baffling to me.
Your car is 1 year old from new and done 3500 miles. Variable servicing is IIRC 19000 miles/2 years, but your car should be on fixed annual servicing like mine where first one is an oil change then second one is oil change plus inspection.
Who sets this info on mmi

There is only 2 options - fixed at 9000/1 year and variable at 19000/2 years.
Fixed is for low mileage cars doing lots of short journeys, and variable is for higher mileage cars generally doing longer motorway journeys.
It is originally set either at the factory or during the PDI, but can be changed by a dealer at your request.

It is originally set either at the factory or during the PDI, but can be changed by a dealer at your request.
^^^THIS^^^

If I were you I'd just contact either the main dealership or indy and tell them the age of the car and mileage, get the 1st service done and have them reset the mmi to a yearly/set schedule. Once the 1st service has been done, the mmi will then be reset to show 12 month to the next service and inspection.

This was mine last year a few months before the 2nd service was due.
oil-jpg.186746

Once the second service had been done in late October it showed oil - 12 months, inspection 24 months.

As of today it shows:
140 days for the oil which is October 28th 2020 (this will then be reset to show it needs doing in 12 months time)
505 days for the inspection which is 28 October 2021
Today

Because of my low miles he has said this years service will be oil/filter/pollen filter/mot £273 (that's indy price not main dealership).

^^^THIS^^^

If I were you I'd just contact either the main dealership or indy and tell them the age of the car and mileage, get the 1st service done and have them reset the mmi to a yearly/set schedule. Once the 1st service has been done, the mmi will then be reset to show 12 month to the next service and inspection.

This was mine last year a few months before the 2nd service was due.
oil-jpg.186746

Once the second service had been done in late October it showed oil - 12 months, inspection 24 months.

As of today it shows:
140 days for the oil which is October 28th 2020 (this will then be reset to show it needs doing in 12 months time)
505 days for the inspection which is 28 October 2021
View attachment 204554

Because of my low miles he has said this years service will be oil/filter/pollen filter/mot £273 (that's indy price not main dealership).
Hi thanks for the info

Reactions: S32B