First Oil Change Service - A4 1.4TSI

Neil Hayes

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked before but I'm trying to find out if I need to pay for this service or not. I have had a new A4 Avant 1.4 TSI Black Edition since mid November 2017.

My current mileage is 8,800 and the oil change service prompt message appeared. I reset the prompt via the MMI and it's now saying 365 days/9000 miles (see picture).

I do 20+k miles a year and asked to be on the variable service schedule when I collected the car. I contacted my local dealer today who (obviously) want it booked in for an oil change service at £189 but didn't clarify if I was on fixed or variable servicing. I've tentatively booked in for Friday but have asked them to clarify whether I need it or if they need to change my service schedule settings.

Am I OK to wait until the full service (which will be well within 12 months of ownership) or am I invalidating my warranty by not getting this oil change service?

Any advice much appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180403-132524.png
    Screenshot_20180403-132524.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 613
On 20k+ miles a year you should be on the variable service interval as you correctly state. As your oil levels looks like it has fallen below the halfway point are you sure the mmi stated a oil change was due and not that it just needed topping up? It's a bit difficult to see any detail with the picture you've attached.

Thanks. It definitely stated oil change service. Apart from buying some oil, do I need to do anything else?
Screenshot 20180403 132524
. The oil level is low so I would top up.

Just remember that the indicator is only to show the litre of oil closest to the maximum fill level. So in reality you're maybe only 500ml off full judging by that. To be honest I wouldn't worry unless it gets to the minimum level as there will still be lots of oil in there.

I don't know if the indicator drops in steps or it is linear and the manual does recommend the oil should only be topped up if near the minimum mark. Personally I like to keep mine between halfway and the maximum however I have not seen mine drop yet....

I would always keep it near the max, what's the worst that can happen ?

If you use a lot of lateral grip, I suppose you minimise the chance of (even transient) oil starvation.

As for maintenance regime, I don't understand it so I can't help.

My 1.4 arrived on the short interval service. I phoned Audi dealer to say can I have it changed to Long interval because I do 20K a year, 98% motorway. Perfect for Long Interval. They wouldn't change it. Lady on the phone gave me some rubbish about it now a few miles into a short interval change with different oil and I have to wait until my first 10K service to change the oil (correct oil for long service) until they change the service plan. She explained that if I ignored the first 10K service and assumed I could reset it myself and then drive another 10K before my first oil change I could void the warranty. I would take it for my first service say in 20K/1Year and their "systems" will see that its 10K over its due for the 1st service.
So, Im keeping it as it is. Its not my car so Ill follow what they say just for ease and worry free to be honest. I dont know enough to argue the case about the types of oil used, i do know they use different types for long and short, semi synthetic and 5w30 and 5w40 but have no idea whats in the car. I always changed my oil at 10K anyway regardless. Lets assume there is a difference in oil types should we risk doing 20K on a short interval oil type? Shame I don't know enough to argue with them, but for the sake of £200 on a £40K car Ill follow their instructions.
I think you've done the right thing getting it booked in

Last edited:
The oil would be put in on the production line, I find it hard to believe they use different oils in different cars. I think the dealers set the service schedule at PDI stage. Personally I think setting it to yearly is a scam by the dealer to turn more profit.

Surely set all to long life and if the customer wants to do an extra oil change then they can.

The oil would be put in on the production line, I find it hard to believe they use different oils in different cars. I think the dealers set the service schedule at PDI stage. Personally I think setting it to yearly is a scam by the dealer to turn more profit.

Surely set all to long life and if the customer wants to do an extra oil change then they can.
Yes, it tends to be the case that all cars are set to the extended service routine from factory and only changed to a fixed if requested. So different oils being used is a red herring...

Reactions: Jsmills
My A4 is a 1.4 TFSI Saloon BE and as my car got close to the 9000 miles after owning the car for 6 months and it started advising about the requiring an oil change. The level of oil at the time was around a 1/4 Litre. I called Audi and was advised as my car was on a variable service plan and not fixed to just top the oil up when it advises and reset the counter within the MMI. Drove the car for another few weeks and the car alerted me of low oil and 'Please add a litre of oil and you can continue to drive' on the message screen on the clocks. I used the free litre of oil I got from the dealership when I collected the car, rest the MMI and checked the levels in the MMI over a few days. All sorted.

Not sure what oil level has to do with oil service. An oil service is there to change the oil not top it up. Oil level should be checked monthly at least and topped up when required.