First days with the 35TFSI

Fred9193

Reaction score
Took delivery of my 35 TFSI S Line S-Tronic last Friday (ordered 11th Feb)
Daytona grey w/ Steel grey interior
Options - Comfort + Sound, flat bottom wheel, 18" Y alloys
(I will get a few photos up asap, it was delivered filthy and living in rural Kent has meant it hasn't got any better)

First things I have noted after a few days of driving:
  • Drives great but I have become obsessed with watching what the engine is doing. The MHEV and 2 cylinder mode seem to make the engine so erratic. One second it's coasting with the engine off, then it's back on, then in 2 cylinder mode. I'm sure the German's knew what they were doing when they built this system but it never seems to remain in one "state" for more than a few mins.
  • The feel of the brake pedal with this MHEV system... I'll have to get used to it. Doesn't feel natural at all so far and I've previously owned a hybrid with regen braking. There's a huge shift in the feeling underfoot when it switches from regen to actual braking, it doesn't fill me with confidence.
  • In contrast, the steering feel is spot on. Direct, reassuring and the wheel doesn't move about when going over rough roads / camber.
  • The B&O sound system... I'm picky with my audio but after some tweaking of the settings and taking time to listen to the differences it makes, I've found a sweet spot for the system. I'm sure it'll sound better after a while longer of bedding in. I like what I'm hearing so far.
  • Extendable seat bases. I need say no more. If you have been driving a car without them for years, getting them back makes all the difference.
  • Comfort levels are brilliant for a hatchback. Our rural Kent roads are awful and it's handling it perfectly, very confident round corners even with poor road surface.
  • I would highly recommend upgrading to the flat bottomed steering wheel. Feels great in the hand and looks the part, suits the interior very well.
Would be interested to hear from other owners if they have similar / different views on my points above.
Happy to answer any questions from future owners.

Reactions: DreamInCode
Can you post some pics of the car please. It's the exact spec I'm waiting for, apart from the interior lighting pack :)

Thanks

Can you post some pics of the car please. It's the exact spec I'm waiting for, apart from the interior lighting pack :)

Thanks
I'll get out and get it cleaned tomorrow or Saturday morning, will post some photos then @MA3RC

Is Steel Grey the lighter colour to the Rock Grey?
I'm not sure @Nick James , I'll post some photos at the weekend. I'm certainly happy with the Steel Grey interior, makes a nice difference from an all black interior.

Reactions: MA3RC
I'll get out and get it cleaned tomorrow or Saturday morning, will post some photos then @MA3RC

I'm not sure @Nick James , I'll post some photos at the weekend. I'm certainly happy with the Steel Grey interior, makes a nice difference from an all black interior.
That’d be great. The one I’m waiting on has the Rock Grey interior which I think is more of a black.

First things I have noted after a few days of driving:
  • Drives great but I have become obsessed with watching what the engine is doing. The MHEV and 2 cylinder mode seem to make the engine so erratic. One second it's coasting with the engine off, then it's back on, then in 2 cylinder mode. I'm sure the German's knew what they were doing when they built this system but it never seems to remain in one "state" for more than a few mins.
Yes, it switches state from moment to moment. You can help the car to make better coast / regen decisions when approaching junctions by putting your destination into the satnav.

I’ve noticed recently, with the colder weather, that my car is coasting with the engine at idle (maybe a fast idle?) when the engine is warming up. It never did that during the warmer months (until recently, it always switched the engine off when coasting).

Yes, it switches state from moment to moment. You can help the car to make better coast / regen decisions when approaching junctions by putting your destination into the satnav.

I’ve noticed recently, with the colder weather, that my car is coasting with the engine at idle (maybe a fast idle?) when the engine is warming up. It never did that during the warmer months (until recently, it always switched the engine off when coasting).
On your first point, I heard that only works if you use the built-in nav. As I always use wireless Android Auto w/ Google Maps, I’m not sure I’ll get that benefit.

I’ve noticed the idle coasting too on a cold engine. I’m now purposely not putting the consumption display on so I can forget about it and let the engine do what it was designed to do. It doesn’t seem to affect driving in the slightest, very smooth and still has the power when needed.

Reactions: AdamInKent
On your first point, I heard that only works if you use the built-in nav.

I’ve noticed the idle coasting too on a cold engine. I’m now purposely not putting the consumption display on so I can forget about it and let the engine do what it was designed to do. It doesn’t seem to affect driving in the slightest, very smooth and still has the power when needed.
Yep, built in sat nav only. I’ve happily switched to using it and, whilst possibly not quite as good as my old TomTom unit for traffic and routing, the integration with the VC, engine and lights swing it for me.

It’s great that our mild hybrids share the seamless engine start / stop characteristics of full hybrids. I find that my driving style has changed to increase the opportunities for regen and coast.

@MA3RC
@Nick James this is the 'Steel Grey' interior

PXL 20211204 1342002082

PXL 20211204 1341450832

PXL 20211204 134225461

• Love
Reactions: pafcpilgrim, FishyFinger, Nick James and 1 other person
I’ve had mine for a few months now. Braking with teh MH system can be a bit strange but you get used to It. Mines and edition one but don’t have comfort and sound pack. As I was lucky to get one off the forecast and no waiting.

Flat bottomed wheel is standard on edition 1 but agree it looks the part. Never had one before so took a bit getting used too.

Drives great and at night with the interior lighting is super cool. Stiffer suspension on Edition 1 and 19’s. But absolutely love it.

One really annoying thing if it is to anyone else. When you floor it the engine sounds like it revs it’s nuts off. Almost annoying at times to be honest.

But absolutely love the look of it and how it drives. Awesome car! Oh yeah the Matria LEDs are incredible if you get a car with those too.

736403BD 8BE3 4A6F 9C4A 95C151BB9CDF

Reactions: DreamInCode, MF DOOMER, AdamInKent and 2 others