First Audi - B8.5 Sepang Blue S4 Avant

alxce

Reaction score
First post, refugee from Pistonheads. (2nd post really but transferring this from Rumour thread for completeness)

I have spent the last five months looking for a MB C63 about 1-2 years old with the right spec. Not a particularly rewarding experience mainly due to main dealers who do not know their cars very well. I always had reservations about keeping one on the road and out of the hedges in the area where I live, especially in winter so decided to call it a day and look elsewhere.
For some obscure reason I started to look at RS4s which revealed the existence of the S4 and Avant, the spec of which looked very promising. I pushed a couple of examples through the Audi configurator and walked into my local dealer the day after. I walked out with a good deal on a new S4 BE Avant and must have made the salesperson's day because it was an easy sale just matching a quote I had from another main dealer through a broker at the weekend.
That was the 30th March, two days before the spec change and I am now waiting to hear what will happen to my order as I had included the technology package as an option. I contacted the dealer yesterday and was told they were working through the orders but even they were still missing some of the pricing info so it might be a few days.
I will post an update as soon as I get the order finalised and I hope this all works out well because an Audi will complete my buying tour round all the major German manufacturers.

Current Options Spec (which I will be changing, see below)
  • Audi S4 Avant Black Edition 3.0 V6 TFSI Quattro
  • S-tronic
  • Pearl effect Sepang Blue
  • Black styling pack
  • Black leather / alcantara trim
  • Black headlining
  • Piano black inlays
  • 19" x 8.5j 5 segment spoke design alloy wheels
  • Convenience package
  • Technology package - high
  • Heated front seats
Looking at adding when I next visit the dealer:
  • Interior lighting pack (if not standard)
  • Audi drive select
  • Audi hill-hold assist
  • Leather door armrests from & rear
  • Adaptive headlights with turning light
That about sums up the current position and without a designated build week this car seems a long way off.

Reactions: ERBY, Bristle Hound and scotty76
Hi Alxce sounds like a really nice car, the lighting pack is standard or part of the convience pack I can't remember which. I have the cornering headlights which I really like. I had the adaptive headlights on my previous Merc and they dipped for bright road signs and would not go to main beam below 30 mph so I gave them a miss - the Audi ones may be better!
Can't help you with the wait but there is a lot of good stuff here to whet your appetite!!

If you add nothing else I'd say Audi Drive Select is a must. Without it the car will be permanently set to Auto mode and will feel lazy in a lot of circumstances.

Nice colour & nice spec my friend ;):cool::cool::cool:

Similar'ish spec to my 'on order' S4 saloon :D

Interior lighting pack is standard equipment on a S4 :thumbs up:

You are right about the lighting pack, standard on the S. The adaptive headlights I want for the cornering aspect and the high beam assist is a different option I definitely don't want. I have both of them on the current RRS and the high beam assist is too easily fooled and left on blinding oncoming drivers coming up a hill towards you.
I really don't understand how Audi drive select was missed when we did the config at the dealers, it's a must have.
One question that has bothered me me for years, how come you don't get to spec the tyres? I am guessing it will come with Contisport but given the chance I would spec Michelins. Given the price at which the mfrs will buy them in I would think the difference is negligible.

First post, refugee from Pistonheads. (2nd post really but transferring this from Rumour thread for completeness)

I have spent the last five months looking for a MB C63 about 1-2 years old with the right spec. Not a particularly rewarding experience mainly due to main dealers who do not know their cars very well. I always had reservations about keeping one on the road and out of the hedges in the area where I live, especially in winter so decided to call it a day and look elsewhere.
For some obscure reason I started to look at RS4s which revealed the existence of the S4 and Avant, the spec of which looked very promising. I pushed a couple of examples through the Audi configurator and walked into my local dealer the day after. I walked out with a good deal on a new S4 BE Avant and must have made the salesperson's day because it was an easy sale just matching a quote I had from another main dealer through a broker at the weekend.
That was the 30th March, two days before the spec change and I am now waiting to hear what will happen to my order as I had included the technology package as an option. I contacted the dealer yesterday and was told they were working through the orders but even they were still missing some of the pricing info so it might be a few days.
I will post an update as soon as I get the order finalised and I hope this all works out well because an Audi will complete my buying tour round all the major German manufacturers.

Current Options Spec (which I will be changing, see below)
  • Audi S4 Avant Black Edition 3.0 V6 TFSI Quattro
  • S-tronic
  • Pearl effect Sepang Blue
  • Black styling pack
  • Black leather / alcantara trim
  • Black headlining
  • Piano black inlays
  • 19" x 8.5j 5 segment spoke design alloy wheels
  • Convenience package
  • Technology package - high
  • Heated front seats
Looking at adding when I next visit the dealer:
  • Interior lighting pack (if not standard)
  • Audi drive select
  • Audi hill-hold assist
  • Leather door armrests from & rear
  • Adaptive headlights with turning light
That about sums up the current position and without a designated build week this car seems a long way off.
Don't forget to add the sports diff.

Reactions: TahirS
Mine arrived with Pirreli cinturato.
My old B8 A4 S-line, which I bought from new, had the 7 double spoke 19's fitted as an option, came from the factory with Pirelli P-Zero's, which in all honesty I found *****!

They started tram lining very badly in the dry with 5mm + of tread left. In the wet they were truly frightening!

Changed all 4 for Continental Contisport 5's, which I found, in comparison great

Nice spec there. Storage pack is a useful an not-too-expensive addition, too.

Like you still waiting for update on prices following the MY'16 changes. Somewhat miffed that my build week has now slipped four weeks to 26 for no obvious reason. This on a car ordered in mid Feb...

Tyres may be fixed because tyres affect economy and hence CO2 figures?? Mrs SB's S3 had contis on it when new.

Somewhat miffed that my build week has now slipped four weeks to 26 for no obvious reason. This on a car ordered in mid Feb...
May well be prompting me to make a call to Audi CS tomorrow ...

I had a very polite email response from my dealer last night reassuring me they will be honouring any price reduction due and we will be sorting the order out on Friday. Only problem with that is I will have little to do after that but wait and look at the brochure until the car arrives. Will splash out on some Swissvax because it deserves it and and look around at exhaust systems (when did MTM get so expensive?) but that's about it.
Thanks for the options suggestions. Sports diff I can't see me needing as I am unlikely to push it that hard. The storage pack I may well add.

I'm hoping for my spec update today. Working from home today, and not moving very far from the phone......

I do hope you've spec'd up the super sport seats and the HDD Nav MMI jukebox ;)
They're already in the order. I'm jiggling a few things in combination with the MY16 update to try and squeeze in a sports diff, hill-hold assist and main beam assist, hopefully for the price already agreed.

@alxce, apologies for cross-posting details of my order on your wait-thread. You'll find that happens quite a bit. Feel free to scrawl all over mine. :thumbs up:

I was contacted by my dealer today and the MY16 changes mean the price of my order goes down by £650 so it was into the brochure to eat that up.
I have now added the following to the spec:
Audi Drive Select £220 (not sure how I missed this one initially)
Leather armrests £205
Hill assist £65
Storage package £100

I had been considering the adaptive light package at £330 but couldn't bring myself to do it and actually increase the price of my original order. I'm not out in the dark very often but when I am I think I can probably make it round the corners without the aid of a turning light
I have been given a build week of 26 for end July delivery, problem is what do I do between now and then

Reactions: scotty76
Welcome to ASN alxce, awesome colour choice, they look stunning. I went for 5 spokes and mine came with Conti Sport 3's FYI. Rear blinds are a nice little option - relatively inexpensive and prevent yucky 'disney blind sucker marks' (if you have bambino's):D

Welcome to ASN alxce, awesome colour choice, they look stunning. I went for 5 spokes and mine came with Conti Sport 3's FYI. Rear blinds are a nice little option - relatively inexpensive and prevent yucky 'disney blind sucker marks' (if you have bambino's):D
This always confuses me. Conti Sport 5 have been out for years so what's the difference?!

I have now added the following to the spec:
Audi Drive Select £220 (not sure how I missed this one initially)
Leather armrests £205
Hill assist £65
Storage package £100
Good choices, but I suppose I would say that ... ;) :D

CS3's on mine (March 2015).
They tramline.....but used to/expect that on 19" wheels.
Congrats on the order btw, will be worth the wait :)

The delay in being able to input my revised MY16 model is giving me far too much time to reconsider the spec. Now decided to add the sunroof to give the all black interior a bit more light. I also asked about the Rotor Grey interior option now available for the BE. The Grey areas would be confined to the seats and door inserts and the option has to be ordered with the Nappa fine leather i.e. £1440 Sports Seats. Helps to eliminate that one for me because I have been dead set on the alcantara from the outset.

I tinkered with my spec too. I've downgraded phone prep from high to low, but added sports diff, hill hold assist and main beam assist. That's still on a MY2015 basis.

You could be right as on reflection I may have misinterpreted the dealer response. His response to my latest email to him will clarify this for sure and I will post it up.

If you can afford them then the SS seats are worth the extra....well worth the extra, and they look the business too.

If you can afford them then the SS seats are worth the extra....well worth the extra, and they look the business too.

Agreed, I had no intention to get them but the demonstrator I had had them and that was that. They look and feel fantastic.

I got really luck. Mrs didn't like Alcantara, so I had no choice but to order Supersport seats. ;)

Can I suggest losing the alcantara, it's way to easy to mark/stain and looks ***** then. Leather is just wipe it and treat it, this fad of using it I do not get. Sorry for those who have it but I have seen way to many MB and Cayans sat not selling because it looks like toothpaste marks all over the seats.

B&O and MMI is a must have IMO, adaptive cruise is very nice as is the sport diff.

Hmmmm....too much pressure :05.18 flustered:.
I admit to being a little confused as to the different looks of the two seats in question i.e. Sports Alcantara and Super Sports Nappa because the brochure doesn't show them very well. Anyone have a pic of their Sports Alacantara they could post ? It's the seatback I am most interested in - headrest/ logo area.
Alternatively I could go visit the dealer again to cover the final order and price and check seats in actual cars at the same time.

Super sports with alcantara panels, not mine, borrowed from Google. I've got full fine silk nappa.

Attachments

• s4-hghlits-int-img1.jpg
    s4-hghlits-int-img1.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 1,651
Pretty sure you can't have the supersports with alacantra - not a standard option in this country (or at least it wasn't last summer). Seems to be an Audi exclusive option at nearly 4k though :eek:

Hmm, have to have a play with ye car configurator. Sure I saw the option on there at one point.

The normal sports seats are just s-line seats if I remember correctly. I'd want uber seats if I'm paying 50k for a car and not the same ones as you get in a repomobile ;-)