finding the right air mass meter

s3xy

Reaction score
Hi I have a 1999 s3 that has been re-mapped to 290bhp. A few months down the line, the car begun to jerk so I was advised to replace the maff. I brought a brand new one from audi and gave them the old one. The car still jerks! the remap was done by the previous owner and I am no longer in contact with him.

I now believe that the previous maff was not a bosch audi make. Can anyone please help me out this dilemma and tell me how I can now obtain the correct maff for this car??? or which air mass meter will be compatible with the power of this car???? :salute:

Bosch one is what you need... either from GSF or Audi.... Eurocarparts have them too I think but GSF will be cheaper... they are usually sold as exchange units...

<tuffty/>

I've already purchased a new bosch maff but i'm still getting the jerks...

Then its probably something else... needs scanning for faults in the first instance, checking for vacuum leaks and boost leaks (I suspect a vac leak personally) and logging if all else fails..

<tuffty/>

Can i ask what has been done to your car for it to make 290bhp?

cheers matey ill have the pipes checked right away. It's had a few diagnostic checks n the fault is always on the maff something to do with temperature sensors..

it's a stage 2 remap, new exhaust, induction kit and intercooler... I don't know so much about the car as the mod was done by the previous owner. without this problem the car is reliable, very quick and sounds incredible. It's a real head turner and to be frank it's a shame the car is sitting ill...

Very nice, any pictures of the car?

Dont hold out for 290 bhp, with the mods you've got and stage 2, to get 290bhp your looking at a hybrid to be fair.

While we're on the subject of MAF meters, would it cause any problems fitting a cheaper one? Euro Car Parts do a couple of cheaper ones for £33.01 and £42.91, so I was just wondering how much difference it would make in getting the Bosch one?

Why do the Bosch ones have a surcharge added to them as well. One is £59.16 (£88.54 with surcharge) and the other is £67.86 (97.24 with surcharge).

I'll take it to a rolling road next time I get the opportunity, there was one in Essex few months ago but I missed out on it. Yea I'll post some pictures on here soon as I find my phone cable hopefully tonight!!!

Sur charge is probably there to encourage you to hand over the old one which is then renewed. Make the payment under a company name and a brand new bosch over the counter will cost you just £50... I guess the bosch ones are more reliable and have a longer life???

Dont buy other than bosch, you'll just buy twice.

Dont buy other than bosch, you'll just buy twice.

Ok, so Bosch is the way to go then... don't want it to pack up again a few months down the line! And is that correct that if I hand over my old one then I don't have to pay the surcharge?

Just out of curiosity, is the MAF easy to clean? As I noticed someone said that giving it a clean can sometimes help.

cheers matey ill have the pipes checked right away. It's had a few diagnostic checks n the fault is always on the maff something to do with temperature sensors..

Water temp sensor one would assume from this? Common fault and will also contribute to poor running... if the ECU can't see the engine getting to temperature than it will be permanently in cold start/warm up mode...

Guessing fuel consumption is a bits pants too...

<tuffty/>

if you have not already done so run VAG-COM on your car and check for fault codes, a duff temp sensor can well cause the problems you have and is indeed a common failure issue. So many problems can be eliminated by just running VAG-COM to see whats what, and avoids the cost of just changing parts ad-lib in the hope of finding a cure. MAF issues are common and definately go for an OEM Bosch one as the pattern ones are even more prone to fail.

thanks guys i've jus had a VAG-COM test done and it turns out I need a new intake air temperature sensor...also my car continually hisses after 2revs and I get no boost, can this mean I need a new turbo??

Water temp sensor one would assume from this? Common fault and will also contribute to poor running... if the ECU can't see the engine getting to temperature than it will be permanently in cold start/warm up mode...

Guessing fuel consumption is a bits pants too...

<tuffty/>
#

ye definitely, the fuel consumption is ridiculous...

thanks guys i've jus had a VAG-COM test done and it turns out I need a new intake air temperature sensor...also my car continually hisses after 2revs and I get no boost, can this mean I need a new turbo??

if the air intake temp sensor is ******** then you may well be running in limp mode.... the hissing could well be a boost leak... I would fix all the other stuff first including looking for split pipes under the inlet mani etc first then when you are sure everything is right then see if the problem persists... expensive vacuum leak changing the turbo lol....

<tuffty/>

Yea I've decided to change the top intercooler hoses and the TIP which is damaged. I'll take it from there...