Finally time for a progress thread!

ColganRaz

Reaction score
Hi all, bein around for a couple of months now but i have bein very busy and still not complete! I have had so many problems with my car it has bein a nightmare and cost me a bomb but im not far off done now.

Car is a 2004 1.9 TDi PD105 sport in black, has all the standard a3 kinda stuff no extras as im aware of, except the ugly alloy wheels.

its my first audi car but dont think it will be my last, being driving just over 1 year now and its my third car, i had a 1.2 corsa to begin with then upgraded to a 1.6 206xsi and then the audi.

I found the audi to be a very smooth drive, love the gearbox and the MPG. I was a bit dissapointed with the gadgets on it though, my peugeot had automatic lighting and wiping and was more kitted out, but then again i suppose i have got a near base model of the a3. I was also surprised how much the 1.9 tdi lacks in power, but im sure a remap will sort this out

anyways here is the car when i got it

20120317_133802.jpg

20120318_144744.jpg

20120318_144730.jpg

as you can see it is need of some TLC quite badly and a good clean!

but bigger issues at hand!

when i got the car the flywheel was rattling the car loose, so i bought a solid flywheel and 3 piece clutch from ebay for £220 and managed to get it fitted for £130

after getting it from the garage the driveshaft actually sheered off at the end! couldnt believe it, so another £130 towards repairs.

lovely drive after these issues sorted, the car is more responsive with the lighter flywheel in too and it will never need replacing again, result!

another problem was there was no authentic audi stereo in the car and music only played through 1 speaker, bought an adaptor for 17quid and a stereo for 40quid and it was good to go!

20120320_172455.jpg

the stereo installed

20120417_125753.jpg

now im surprised at the value for money of this stereo, it maybe a cheap make but it does everything! Bluetooth handsfree with my mobile, USB connection, SD connection, CD player and radio what more can you ask for!

time for some more budget mods!

20120321_173145.jpg

the mats i bought here from ebay were about 12 quid delivered, tailored mats with clips and fit perfectly, my old mats had holes and were really worn

the k&n filter was 31quid IIRC

another bargain with the xenon bulbs, about a tenner delivered which included dipped and high beam with sidelights!

20120321_180201.jpg

picture doesnt do it any justice!

had some more problem with the car! pulling crazily to the left, thought it could be tracking, took it to wilcomotosave on my break and they worsened the problem by doing the tracking incorrectly, took it back to them and they rectified it, turns out it was more than tracking, mechanic at wilcomotosave said i may need new lower suspension arms (i knew he was talking ****) :((

also found an oil leak in the process of fault finding :(

anyways took the car to my man, replaced some bushes, a full wheel hub and found my oil leak, turns out it was leaking oil from the turbo when underload because the car had the wrong oil in! which is shocking considering the last service was with audi themselves!!!

with my car driving straight now i decided i would do the service myself, sourced some PD oil for my car for £18 and got rest of the bits for cheap money. when i dropped the oil from the car there was tiny shards of metal and grit and all kinds of **** in it. replaced with the correct oil and the car was running absoloutely fantastic there onwards, no oil leak and no smell of warm oil in the car anymore lol.
i fitted the k&n airfilter on my service too, i must say it has done jack**** in terms of performance lol.

my next job was to find a cruising buddy

20120416_072517.jpg

great success!

my next problem was my number plate fell off, there was an old set off private plates stuck to the back of mine with a bull**** audi advertisement plate holder :) no wonder it fell of it weighed a tonne lol i decided to give the car a good clean inside and out and waxx it

20120407_150623.jpg

next problem is my foggy light i need to fit

20120421_143038.jpg

my next job is to either respray the cruddy sport alloys or replace them

the car is running perfect now its a pleasure to drive, my future plans will defenaitely involve a remap as the car is so underpowered

i dont know whether to do anything else, im looking at either buying a Citroen DS3 1.6 THP or a A3 1.4TFSI in the next year or 2 so dont know whether to bother upgrading

thats it for now im afraid im sure i wil have missed something LOL.

Very interesting read. Good pictures showing the changes. Car looks so much nicer now. :)

Got the same wheels as you and they all need refurbing but decided to just replace them as they do look pretty weird, looks like you got a nice little project going! when are you getting your remap sorted?

Chris

thanks Sandra, and im planning on the remap ASAP chris, most likely the next month or 2, im unsure about the wheels at the min because im unsure on how long i am keeping the car, i dont know whether to put a little bit of money into it and keep cheap motoring for the next couple of years or just outright get something more expensive next year lol