Finally getting my brakes done. Where to get disc & pads?

Nice one Westle!

I've just been on the phone to Ferodo before i saw this topic! I'm stuck between the DS2500 track pads and DS fast road pads. I was told the DS2500 are only meant for track use with no legal road use markings. The guy at Ferodo said to be careful as South Devon police called him last week to ask for road use markings on the pads as they are prosecuting someone for using them on the road!

I may just get the DS fast road pads now so i don't get in trouble! As for discs, i wanted Black Diamond grooved all around but reading this topic is making me change my mind a bit lol.

How can they do you for race pads? Brake pads are brake pads. As long as they work, what's the issue?

Questioning your mate/the Police pal, not you :)

I was going to get Black Diamonds too but after a bit of research, and the help from the brake thread (sticky) on this board I decided that the best setup for my driving didn't have to be the most expensive. To be fair I think that if you just got OEM discs and pads all round and then got braided hoses and new fluid you'd notice a huge improvement over your brakes at the moment.

JD - That's what the Ferodo tech man told me over the phone so i have no idea how they can catch you on something like that. I'm gonna stick with the DS2500 pads but i'm stuck on discs now.

You dont need mega expensive fancy disks on the back as they dont do too much work. Get yourself some Brembo or Black Diamond fronts with DS2500 then anything on the rear will do unless you're doing it for all show and no go? Also bare in mind that bigger disks on the rear will increase weight. I couldn't believe how heavy the set of Brembos are!

I would go for BD disks all round, but that's because I am incredibly anal when it comes to the looks of my car. If they look different on the front to the back, it bothers me. And for £50, I'd rather be happy.

Stupid, I know and Matt will batter me when he reads this/sees me.

Black Diamond Grooved and DS2500's are regarded as the best combination using standard callipers, on the basis that I wanted the best brake set-up I could get without the huge cost of Brembos I went down the Black Diamond/DS2500 route, and I'm delighted, very progressive with excellent bite and fade free, a definate improvement over standard, I can't see the point in going for a lesser set-up just to save a £100 tops on the cost when its a issue of safety.

Black Diamond Grooved and DS2500's are regarded as the best combination using standard callipers, on the basis that I wanted the best brake set-up I could get without the huge cost of Brembos I went down the Black Diamond/DS2500 route, and I'm delighted, very progressive with excellent bite and fade free, a definate improvement over standard, I can't see the point in going for a lesser set-up just to save a £100 tops on the cost when its a issue of safety.

This is the same debate as the suspension thread mate! The black diamond/ds2500 are regarded as the best by those people running them, if those same people have tried several different brake combos and still say BD/DS2500 are the best than fair enough.

I dont think i'm risking my safety for the sake of £100 considering this setup will be 100 times better than my current setup which has got me round the ring and some fast road driving without any issues.

I'm scared of getting done by police for using DS2500 track pads now :( grrr!

ds2500 are road legal. They are basically judged off the friction rating, too much friction is deemed over the top for road use, but im fairly sure ds2500 fall in the margin, think I read that on the ferrodo site. Unlike the ds3000's which the friction rating is too high for road use.

This is the same debate as the suspension thread mate! The black diamond/ds2500 are regarded as the best by those people running them, if those same people have tried several different brake combos and still say BD/DS2500 are the best than fair enough.

I dont think i'm risking my safety for the sake of £100 considering this setup will be 100 times better than my current setup which has got me round the ring and some fast road driving without any issues.

From reading this forum at length when looking to uprate my brake setup there was a general consensus from a lot of forum posters who as far as I can tell are very knowledgeable people that work with VAG cars and S3's in particular on a daily basis all rated the Black Diamond/DS2500 as being the best combo. I've always taken the view the better the brakes the safer the car is and that in my case i didnt see a £100 max diference on cost being sufficient a saving to deviate from what most people that seem to know their stuff recommend as the best fit with standard callipers. What is the point of forums where people can get consensus views on things if were going to get slagged off for expressing an opinion.

Last edited:
I dont remember slagging anyone off in any of my previous posts!

All i'm saying is that lots of people think different brands and products are the "best" because its all they know because they haven't tried anything different. I've only ever had Bridgestone Potenzas on my S3 but I wouldn't say they were the best until i'd tried a few different brands. I'm not denying that BD discs are good but I'm not sure if they are £100+ better than any other big brand brake discs. I dont need a race car setup like someone like Bill so I'm happy to save a bit of cash to spend elsewhere. And like you said this is a forum where we can all express our opinions :friends:

Has anybody tried the DS3000's? Interested to try them.

Bill said the ds3000 don't bite until warm, hence track use over road use. I'd stick with the 2500s.

How warm exactly? I've got the DS2500's on my car and they still need warming. A few applications and they're biting. I read on some random evo forum that they are not too bad in warming up? Almost like the DS2500's? Conufuggled.com

I can't answer that chap as only going on second hand info myself! Might be worth ringing Ferrodo . . . or Bill.

Lol I just got that! I was gonna say "the fellowship of the (nurberg) ring" :) I rang ferodo and they were pretty adimant that it was only for track use and they take some effort to keep them at the desired temp. The people who make them (federal mogul) are situated right next to my dads work place and was gonna see if the might make an exception for me and make me some :)

they're not the ds2500s though, they are DS1463's are they not?

Whats the best motul brake fluid to go for? and what about gearbox and haldex fluids?

No they are DS2500's. That number is just a part number. Mine are FDS1082R

Bill said the ds3000 don't bite until warm, hence track use over road use. I'd stick with the 2500s.

No I didd'nt say that - !!!!!!! and never would, its complete shyte

Please DONT misquote me

DS3000's have MORE cold friction than OE pads, and a wider heat range than ds2500's
They work perfectly well from cold, and exceptionally consistent no matter how hard you abuse them. Your fluid will boil before the ds3000's start to fade (which has never happened to me, and I race on DS3000's)

Exceptional pads.. and great for heavy S3's for track use

Bill

How warm exactly? I've got the DS2500's on my car and they still need warming. A few applications and they're biting. I read on some random evo forum that they are not too bad in warming up? Almost like the DS2500's? Conufuggled.com

ds2500's have higher friction coefficient than std pads across the entire heat range, so bite more than std pads
if yours dont feel like this, you have'nt bedded them in, so try that and start over

they work perfectly from cold. and better again when used in anger...

Finally all my brake bits have turned up after the DS2500 were out of stock for two weeks! Anyway, I now have a huge pile of boxes on my garage floor and I can't wait till next weekend to get it all on the car.

No I didd'nt say that - !!!!!!! and never would, its complete shyte

Please DONT misquote me

DS3000's have MORE cold friction than OE pads, and a wider heat range than ds2500's
They work perfectly well from cold, and exceptionally consistent no matter how hard you abuse them. Your fluid will boil before the ds3000's start to fade (which has never happened to me, and I race on DS3000's)

Exceptional pads.. and great for heavy S3's for track use

Bill

I wouldn't dream of mis-quoting you Bill, but you told me to go with DS2500 pads as DS3000 are more for track use due to needing more warmth to get going . . . ? Unless I misunderstood the term "need more warmth"???

Did my rear dics and pads today myself and to be honest they didn't even need replacing! They'd been on for 2 years and looked brand new which just goes to show how little braking the rears actually do!

didnt you check before you bought the new bits?