Finally booked the S3 in for a new clutch

Speedy Steve

Reaction score
Well with money being tight of late ive finally got round to saving enough to get the clutch and flywheel changed. I dont know if im to cheap but im risking it and going for a standard clutch and flywheel rather then the one that Tuffty has which is what i had planned to go for orignaly. Its booked in for the 11th so once thats done i can Fit Bills 3" Tip and do some logs to see what difference it makes to my Hybrid set up. I also have a few other jobs to do once its done like fitting my catch tank that i got from the group buy all that time ago , get the side light bulb out of the head light that fell in and polish them up and then its replace the air con pump which the clutch fell apart over a year ago. Oh and then do an oil change and start work on the audio system.

So a busy few weeks for me

Well im know sitting at Midland VW with my clutch and flywheel hopefully being changed. Time will tell how they get on

On the way down here i did notice that the gear stick was very stiff side to side so hopefully they can look at that at the same time

Yeah i'm one lazy sod. Well to be truthful the GF has been very ill so the S3 has taken a back seat for quite a while but know she's getting back on track i can get on with all the jobs that have been building up

Well its fairly good news they say the flywheel is in OK condition so they have the box off they said the flywheel didnt need doing but i said just for piece of mind and wanting it to be as good as possible

Do you mind me asking how much they charge to do a clutch for your S3 Steve?

I only fitted my catch tank 2 weeks ago :p It had been rattling around my boot for the last 9 months!

I'd consider getting your slave cylinder changed while the box is out as it's a common problem, a lot of hassle if/when it packs up.

Yeah should be fine with my less powerful hybrid S3 haha

It's the torque that will eat them dude, and mine has been fine (apart from a little bit of G12 contamination making it bitey as hell).

IMO the OEM clutch is capable of handling what we can throw at it with our 'teenage turbos'.

well ive just seen it roll out of the workshop and down the road so its all done already. 3/12 hours thats amazing i was expecting to be here all day

£825! I might weep a tear or two. I had no idea a clutch replacement was THAT expensive. Christ!

Letter to clutch.

Please, with a massive Glacier cherry on top, would you last a couple of tens of thousands of miles longer?

good to do it while its off, it's a big chunk of money now, but itll save you further down the line!

And I thought my £500 steering rack bill few months ago was bad enough - don't envy you mate. (steering fluid leaked all over the shop - luckily my pump even though ran dry still worked fine after a top up) Horrible.

if it hadnt been for doing the flywheel it would have been £300 less so its not bad at all. To think it did over 60K on stage1 and its know on 115k she's done well. As its my second car i was able to put it of and save up so not been to bad at all

Just missed you mate. Was at midland VW just yesterday. Nice car jody now has!

My clutch is on its way out, i have been quoted £950.. looks like i need to do some more shopping about! Has anyone seen the £200 clutch kits off ebay? are they a no go?

My clutch is on its way out, i have been quoted £950.. looks like i need to do some more shopping about! Has anyone seen the £200 clutch kits off ebay? are they a no go?

Thats pretty much what i paid fitted and then £40 for 4 wheel alignment. Dont know about the ebay kits but you can get a genuine LUK clutch kit off eurocarparts for not much money and this is what is fitted to an S3 as standard.

Cheers.