Filling diesel A4 from jerry can

Nick_B

Reaction score
Hi All,

And looking for some advice.

I will be travelling in Europe next week and, in order to avoid a mandatory 2 week quarantine (and comply with the government rules) I will need to do a straight run from somewhere on the French / Italian border to the Channel Tunnel terminal at Calais.

The rules are worded as:

If you do make a stop, you don’t need to self-isolate if:
  • no new people get into the vehicle
  • no-one in the vehicle gets out, mixes with other people, and gets in again
So, by the letter of the law this rules out a fuel stop at a service station as I may have to mix with other people.

As this part of the journey will be pushing the comfortable fuel range I need the facility to fill up from a 20 ltr steel jerry can, however the A4 has a mechanism in the fuel filler neck to prevent mis-fuelling and the small spout from the jeryy can will not go in.

So, I need a funnel that will fit into the filler neck – advice appreciated if anyone has done this.

Cheers

This might work! From amazon, Fifth Gear Jerry can spout nozzle,
9F92EC19 AABE 4E92 BFA6 2FCA44B55DAD

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick_B
Do you really need 20litre can?
When I was driving to Europe I took 10litre and it was more than enough for emergency.
Guess your worry now is the services stop to fill up the tank.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Do you really need 20litre can?
When I was driving to Europe I took 10litre and it was more than enough for emergency.
Guess your worry now is the services stop to fill up the tank.

Yes - this is more about range extension - from the Italian side of the Mont Blanc tunnel to the Channel Tunnel is around 560 miles - the car tends to ask for fuel after around 500 miles but with the higher Autoroute speeds it is a bit less. The 20ltr can gives a comfort factor (and I already have 2 of them) which I held for long trips is my my 1989 Merc 560 SEC - but the spout will not fit into the A4 filler.

Just stop at a pay at pump, most are now anyway. Then you don't come into contact with anyone. If you wear a mask use hand sanitizer etc. as well no issue at all.

Think more and more services now have available "pay at the pump" facilities so you could use those also and that will still not count as in contact with anyone

Just stop at a pay at pump, most are now anyway. Then you don't come into contact with anyone. If you wear a mask use hand sanitizer etc. as well no issue at all.

Think more and more services now have available "pay at the pump" facilities so you could use those also and that will still not count as in contact with anyone

Yes - and maybe I am taking this too far as in many cases (especially on Autoroute) 'pay at pump' is available. That said, I have yet to find a filler spout . funnel that will pass the mis-fuelling protection flap. The solution, from some trial and error, is to trickle the fuel in more slowly, the flap is not an actual seal and the diesel flows around it and into the tank.

I've also had to use the trickle method before, I was stuck without a.funnel.onntwonoccasions where I've had to use a piece of paper rolled in to a cone, workes quite well actually!

Don't wish to be rude or flippant about this but I think you're over-thinking it.

Just find a pay at pump station, either on Autoroute, or a nearby supermarket or similar and use that. Will be way more simpler than carrying a jerry can and trickling diesel down the side of your car!