few question's regarding 2.0 and 3.0 TDI

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
I'M Interested in a A5 cab in a few months or so,wanted know a bit about the difference's.
2104 onwards only.

mpg 2.0 vs 3.0 Tdi quattro ? ii have heard there is no difference in mpg between the two ?

reliability of the auto/s-tronic box ?..........even read people have had issues after a gearbox service from audi !

are they all multi-tronic.....unless its a quattro .then its s-tronic if im right ?

how reliable is the 3.0 tdi engine?

Hello Mate,

So from my understanding there are a few different answers to your question.
MPG will vary dependent on the driving style and surrounding. I have a 3.0 tdi 2014, If I am running around just my town or in a city I will struggle to get past 31 MPG where as the 2.0 Tdi would be able to top that. To and from work I hit traffic, if I am stuck going anywhere from 2-8 mph the 3.0 does not like it, however I have never been in a 2.0 tdi to compare for traffic to be fair.
If we are talking about motorway miles, the day I got my A5 I drove it from London to Scotland and averaged 48.1 Mpg, thats with tearing it up the road quite a bit also, which is pretty respectable, however I can still see the newer 2.0 tdi's topping that, my guess is that it would not be much more.

Newer Automatics you can't really fault, I would say that you have to be pretty unlucky for anything to go wrong with your gearbox past 2014 plates. Multitronic is a CVT (continuously variable transmission).
The S-Tronic is a 7-speed Dual Clutch DSG gearbox, which is the latest gen with very fast gear changes and can handle higher torque loads.
I would recommend going with the S-tronic no matter what, the gear changes sometimes even go unnoticed for the most part, and are super quick if you are going at speeds.

Both me and my friend Love out 3.0 Tdi's, however below I will try to give you an accurate difference:
- More expensive for parts being a V6.
- More Expensive overall for fuel
- Requires more frequent oil changes and care
- Insurance costs will be higher

Similarities:
Tax is only around a £40 difference
Fuel consumption will be close overall
Tyre costs and discs etc all similar dependant on quattro or not.

Taking all of this into consideration, there is a superior difference in driving pleasure.

Anything else you may already know:
Coupe's are pretty small in the back and only 2x seats, anyone over 5'9 ish will struggle to be comfortable with their head touching the roof, leg space isnt too bad but its a struggle to get in and out for anyone of any size.
Sportbacks although heavier and less fuel efficient because of it, they are way more practical and have crazy good boot space, however I still got a coupe as I have no need for the practicality!

I hope I helped even just a little,

Good luck with your decision!

Aaron

Hello Mate,

So from my understanding there are a few different answers to your question.
MPG will vary dependent on the driving style and surrounding. I have a 3.0 tdi 2014, If I am running around just my town or in a city I will struggle to get past 31 MPG where as the 2.0 Tdi would be able to top that. To and from work I hit traffic, if I am stuck going anywhere from 2-8 mph the 3.0 does not like it, however I have never been in a 2.0 tdi to compare for traffic to be fair.
If we are talking about motorway miles, the day I got my A5 I drove it from London to Scotland and averaged 48.1 Mpg, thats with tearing it up the road quite a bit also, which is pretty respectable, however I can still see the newer 2.0 tdi's topping that, my guess is that it would not be much more.

Newer Automatics you can't really fault, I would say that you have to be pretty unlucky for anything to go wrong with your gearbox past 2014 plates. Multitronic is a CVT (continuously variable transmission).
The S-Tronic is a 7-speed Dual Clutch DSG gearbox, which is the latest gen with very fast gear changes and can handle higher torque loads.
I would recommend going with the S-tronic no matter what, the gear changes sometimes even go unnoticed for the most part, and are super quick if you are going at speeds.

Both me and my friend Love out 3.0 Tdi's, however below I will try to give you an accurate difference:
- More expensive for parts being a V6.
- More Expensive overall for fuel
- Requires more frequent oil changes and care
- Insurance costs will be higher

Similarities:
Tax is only around a £40 difference
Fuel consumption will be close overall
Tyre costs and discs etc all similar dependant on quattro or not.

Taking all of this into consideration, there is a superior difference in driving pleasure.

Anything else you may already know:
Coupe's are pretty small in the back and only 2x seats, anyone over 5'9 ish will struggle to be comfortable with their head touching the roof, leg space isnt too bad but its a struggle to get in and out for anyone of any size.
Sportbacks although heavier and less fuel efficient because of it, they are way more practical and have crazy good boot space, however I still got a coupe as I have no need for the practicality!

I hope I helped even just a little,

Good luck with your decision!

Aaron
Thanks!
much appreciated for the info,i have been told on the owners club to go for 2014 onwards too, lots of good info and its very much appreciated.