Few questions about S3

Steve_T

6th gear!
Reaction score
Website
www.chipshopqueue.co.uk
Hi

Im new to the Audi world and have just traded my in Astra SRi 1.8 16v for a 02 Audi S3 8L in ming blue! and my god what a car this is! i love it!

But i have a few questions.

I currently have the Audi Symphony Tape/Cd with built-in 6 cd changer and what i would like to know is: Is there any way of attaching my iPhone to this so that i can play the music? without having to have something that plugs in to the cigarette lighter? (i currently have an itrip witch does this)

alternatively id there another head unit that Audi produce that i can put my music on?

Also what is the best solution for a hands free kit for this car?

can both these items but done in one solution?

Thanks
Steve
:s3addict:

Last edited:
Hi.
There was a thread recently about the parrot mki9200 which seems to be a plug and play solution.
Both hands free, ipod connection and retains the factory look.
Bluetooth® hands free car kits made for iPod and compatible with iPhone - Parrot MKi9200

Ok cool i will have look in to this. Is there not a sterio that will take an SD card? i have seen one in an A4 before?

Not related to your specific question, but have you seen the "S3 Buying Guide" thread in the FAQs at the top of this forum? Loads of good info on there:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/101863-audi-s3-buying-guide.html

And welcome to AS.net and the world of S3 ownership! Hope to see you at a show sometime.

Thanks i had a good look through that. Some good info in there.

Thanks!

an RSN-E (Audi satnav) does that :icon_thumright:

..but sadly not a std 8L fitment so you would need to do a few mods to get one in...

I looked into this myself but opted to go single DIN and use an Alpine HU that was fully iPod compatible.... sounds better and you have better control.

I did try the Dension iPod product on my Symphony 2 when I first bought the car but found it was a bit clunky and you don't get mp3 track names etc... personally didn't want sat nav or an aftermarket double DIN unit so converted to single DIN and happy with the setup I now have...

<tuffty/>

yup another one here for having tried the dension kit before the raked the price up 50%!! totally not worth it just to retain the OE HU as functionality is gash unless you have only one playlist with 3 songs on...although i personally have gone for the MKi9200 which has a neat OE looking tft flatscreen which displays the graphics from you ipod/iphone whilst in use, i positioned mine next to the traction control switch - will post a pic when im next out

Ok thanks for your help guys. I will keep using the itrip untill i deceide what i want to do.

Just been out for a drive and when i first got in the car i put my foot on the clutch and it went down to the floor and stayed there so i pulled it back up turned on the ignition and all seems to be ok again? has anyone else seent his happed?

Next question!

From what i understand with vagcom (Or sweet talking someone at Audi) an i right in thinking that you can make the horn sound when you lock/unlock the car? and the same for having the fog come on when you unlock the car?

Cheers
Steve

Just been out for a drive and when i first got in the car i put my foot on the clutch and it went down to the floor and stayed there so i pulled it back up turned on the ignition and all seems to be ok again? has anyone else have his happened?
Cheers
Steve
Yes mine did it when I first had it (of all times it was at a sprint line at Bruntingthorpe !)
It has done it three times in total over nearly 5 years.

Steve T
Another option for your tunes in car is to replace your 6 cd changer with a phatbox.
This is a digital media storage device that plugs into your existing stereo system and is controlled through your existing head unit. It sits in place of your cd changer so is totally unobtrusive in the cabin and it holds loads and loads of music, also gives you the ability to sort into playlists etc.
a quick fleabay search gave this as an example of what it is: Link

here is my MKi9200, worth noting that you can also remove the screen for security if required, its USB mounted
P1020019.jpg

Wheres your mic's and dock leads mounted animal?

Doc leads in the glovebox with a glovebox door mounted ipod clip.....and the mic is at the top of the A pillar mate