Ferrari Threaten to Quit in 2010

Caesium

My BM is fixed!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
_45766231_ferrari466.jpg

Ferrari have threatened to quit Formula 1 at the end of the season if the sport continues with plans to introduce an optional £40m budget cap from 2010.
"No F1 in 2010 if the rules do not change," said a statement. "Ferrari does not intend to register cars for the 2010 F1 world championship."
Ferrari fear the evolution of a two-tier championship, between those teams who adopt the cap and those who do not.
The teams will discuss the plans with FIA chief Max Mosley in the next week.
And Ferrari, in a statement, insist their announcement is not simply posturing: "The same rules for all teams, stability of regulations, the continuity of... endeavours to methodically and progressively reduce costs, and governance of Formula 1 are priorities for the future.

"If these indispensable principles are not respected, and if the regulations decided for 2010 will not change, Ferrari does not intend to enter its cars."
The announcement will put to the test Mosley's resolve after he claimed earlier this month that F1 could live without Ferrari, the sport's most famous, most successful, and longest-tenured team.
"The sport could survive without Ferrari," he said. "It would be very sad. It is the Italian national team."
F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone, meanwhile, dismissed claims Ferrari could quit F1 on Tuesday, telling the Times: "Ferrari are not stupid. They don't want to leave Formula 1 and we don't want to lose them, so we'll get to grips with it."
However, Toyota and Red Bull have also already threatened not to enter next year's championship unless the new rules change.
And Ferrari have criticised the FIA's decision-making process, stating: "The rules of governance that have contributed to the development of F1 over the last 25 years have been disregarded, as have the binding contractual obligations between Ferrari and the FIA itself regarding the stability of the regulations.
"The same rules for all teams, stability of regulations, the continuity of the F1 Teams' Association's (FOTA) endeavours to methodically and progressively reduce costs, and governance of Formula 1 are the priorities for the future.
"If these indispensable principles are not respected and if the regulations adopted for 2010 will not change, then Ferrari do not intend to enter our cars in the next Formula 1 World Championship."
The FIA wants to introduce an optional £40m budget cap next year to encourage new teams to enter.
The plan would allow capped teams to operate with far greater technical freedom than those continuing with unlimited budgets.
However, Ferrari's president Luca di Montezemolo, head of FOTA, has warned it would create a two-tier championship that could be "fundamentally unfair and perhaps even biased".
The FIA has set a deadline of 29 May for teams wishing to compete in 2010 to enter and state whether they want a cap or not.
But, BBC Five Live Formula 1 correspondent David Croft fully expects Ferrari to line up on the grid in 2010, despite the threat.
"I would be amazed if Ferrari aren't racing in 2010," he said, "I think this is just the opening of a series of discussions that will take place between the sports most historic team and the governing body.
"It's inconceivable that we would have Formula 1 without Ferrari. Mosley says the sport doesn't need them, but I think a lot of people would beg to disagree."
Still, F1 drivers disagree with Mosley's claim that the sport could survive without Ferrari.
World champion Lewis Hamilton said he "could not imagine" F1 without Ferrari while Renault's Fernando Alonso said it was "impossible" for it to happen.
And BMW Sauber's Nick Heidfeld was left bemused by Mosley's comments.
He said: "I thought that people were looking and listening to the fans worldwide and Ferrari is obviously the biggest name in F1 with many supporters and has been there since the very beginning, so they belong in F1."
Ferrari, the sport's oldest and most successful team, also threatened a pull-out in October if proposals for a standard engine for all teams went ahead.

If the FIA won't listen to Ferrari, then they won't listen to anyone, and F1 will only go downhill if they decide to leave the sport.

There's no way Ferrari will quit F1. A two tier championship will not work in F1. What they'll probably end up doing is having a £60-80m limit and drop it gradually every year.

Bernie won't let it happen. He wants to make money. If Ferrari aren't in, then thats millions of fans worldwide that will lose interest in the sport. Yes I support Ferrari, but it's common sense (even if they do drop out, I'll still be watching but the whole of Italy wont lol). Unfortunately they've been in the sport too long which means they have a lot of bargaining chips. Now that, I don't like so much. Nobody wants a team thats bigger than a sport.

Coss

If the FIA won't listen to Ferrari, then they won't listen to anyone, and F1 will only go downhill if they decide to leave the sport.

So true. The way the FIA have been acting lately makes me think if they actually do care about the teams or the sport for that matter. The way that they tried changing fairly big rules some 3 weeks before a season starts makes me think not. They aren't doing things by their own rule book.

I think Ferrari are throwing the toys out of the pram because they aren't peforming and tbh they only sell their production cars to the "higher" classes and tbh if i had a **** load of money and followed F1 i wouldn't be buying a Ferrari at the moment lol. But on a more serious note its just the fact that Ferrari have unlimited pots of cash to throw at F1 and teams like Force India don't. Most of the lesser teams don't have a manufacturer to constantly research new technologies etc etc..

in terms of fairness the money cap is a plus... as for F1 as a sport i think it will suffer if a big funder like Ferrari pulls out as the fan base is monstrously big!

Ferrari Pulls Out Of Formula One Racing

Ferrari has quit next year's Formula One Championship because of their opposition to the new technical regulations adopted by the FIA.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wo...Ferrari_Pulls_Out_Of_Formula_One_Championship_

Good ridens!! there a set of moaning, bitching, loseing spoilt brats anyways and there only scare mongering. Theres no freaking way the will not be there racing next year. The will have Sponsors who are in there for a few year long contract. Are ferrari gonna give them the money back..bleh!

I hope they dont quit and its just scare mongering.

But if they do quit I wouldn't mind seeing them going back down the route of setting up a rival championship like there was talk of a few years ago. Maybe some of the other teams would jump ship too?

I hope they dont quit and its just scare mongering.

But if they do quit I wouldn't mind seeing them going back down the route of setting up a rival championship like there was talk of a few years ago. Maybe some of the other teams would jump ship too?

I'm not too sure on that one. Bernie and the FIA will have everything tied up so that if there were to be a rival series, they wouldn't be able to have anything the same as F1. There's so many things thats copywrited (so to speak) about the FIA Formula 1 series. Its why there isn't one now. It'll be ****. Indy and Champ cars over in the US is ok because its across the pond. A European series is a different story.

Ferrari haven't pulled out of next season. They said that if the rules don't change, then they will pull out. Same noises that Toyota, Red Bull, STR, Renault and McLaren are making. Only Ferrari have done it officially through their 'board meeting'. McLaren aren't quite as vocal about it all because they want to stay in the FIA good books but they don't want a 2 tier championship either.

I thought Ross Brawn had an interesting suggestion when they interviewed him at the weekend. He said something like have a capped budget for all teams but apart from that you can do what ever you want with the car as long as it stays in budget...

Renault to join F1 quit

Blah, Blah, Blah. no they wont and nore will ferrari. Talk about throwing your toys outta the pram.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090513091215.shtml

/Edit Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo "If we were forced to leave the Championship we were part of over the last 60 years of our history and where we set all the records in terms of victories" They wont quit and its BORING to listen to them moaning like the spolit nobs they are!:blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1:

tbh it wont be a loss if renault leave, briatori and alonso shud get married they'd make a good couple all they do is fkin moan when the **** hits the fan... they all need to take a leaf out of Force India's book and keep quiet about it all

He gets asked a question at the end, and I thought he'd give a completely different answer! I bet you guys will be too!

Toyota? Not really a shocker seens as they spent last year 250m and ferrari was like the 4th highest.

ferrari are only ****** off because they think he who spends the most money wins. Clearly the moment ross brawn left, so did there brains.

Well considering that Ferrari was making the most noise publically, I thought it would be them that would be iffy in the meeting.

Apparently Ferrari aren't convinced that you can monitor spendings and that you can easily spend the money without showing it. They are all up for spending less but they want it done another way. Be interesting to see the outcome considering that they have less than 2 weeks to sign up for next years championship.

The outcome will be they will sign up for next years grid and bitch about it till austrailia. zzzzzzzz

Ferrari again warn of Formula One exit. BLAH BLAH BLAH. For the love of god why dont they just leave and make wa for other teams. Oh yeah i remember why now. err cos there spolit brats looking for P.R.

Ferrari again warn of Formula One exit. BLAH BLAH BLAH. For the love of god why dont they just leave and make wa for other teams. Oh yeah i remember why now. err cos there spolit brats looking for P.R.

They will still be here next year, especially when their car gets upto speed again later on in the season, and they know they can compete again lol. They are just making their excuses first if they have a screwed up season this year, which is looking likely already.

Nobody is gonna leave. But if they do, it'll be Ferrari, Toyota, Renault, RBR and STR. That'll be a fun championship!

I'm hoping Pro-Drive make it in next year. USF1 should be interesting to see too considering they've been planning the team for 4 odd years. What'll probably happen is they'll extend the deadline until they'll sort something out. Then again, F1 has had wierder things happen so far this year. I'm not liking how more than half the focus has been in the courts this year. Not doing the sport any good.

As already said, Dummy & Pram, thats it in a big fecking nutshell, Ferrari need to grow the feck up for damns sake

I'd like to see Aston Martin join. Or are they part of Pro-Drive now?

Lewis hamilton drove today in qually like a world class.......amature!!

Im stunned that after all the hype and all the sheep that followed in the lewis train that was P.R. That he drives like a nob. you cant blame his car for that school boy error. pure and simply a embarrassment. Lets see how many people support lewis next year in jenson wins the championship this year. bet all the lewis supporters follow like sheep over to jenson. Bleh.

Nah I wont be jumping on the Button bandwagon. Hamilton made a mistake today but he's still a world class driver. Better than Button IMO too but there is another thread about that!

Not according to this years results, lol

you missed the part where he has a poor car then

the F1 2009 thread is for discussing stuff like this anyway

Yeah of course, its all the car thats causing his results, its always the same old excuse, my sole of my shoe had a speckle of dust on so it affected my balance whilst steering round corners etc etc, they all blame the car but never themselves for being **** on the day, they're all the same, bit like footballers, the grass was 1mm to thick for my technologically advanced boots made from gold pressed latinum, lol

As far as I'm concerned Ferarri if they think they're that superior they should stop whingeing about the cap on costs & just get on with it, they have of course very good engineering so cant see how they are so ****** about it.