Feedback from those with S3s now

Does that mean the manual is faster than DSG on a 0-62 run, if the DSG isn't using launch control?

Well that's a bit of a revelation isn't it!

I assumed the official 0-62 times for DSG were in the fastest mode - but not using launch control.
I am really surprised the DSG is slower than a manual if LC is not engaged.

Launching a car from 4000rpm, means the turbo is at full boost, at 1500rpm, zero boost.

So in this instance, you are trying to compare the acceleration of one car with full turbo boost, and the other with zero boost.

Which is the situation, when:
1., you don't have the time to switch to LC mode
2., your LC is defeated after 200 launches
The first one does not bother me, street racing is not my thing. The second does. If it's true, but I've seen no confirmation.

200 is a lot of launches though, I did about 5 in my TT before the novelty wore off.
Saying that, I'd like to see it confirmed if it's true about the limit.

Agree 200 is a hell of a lot of launches. I've had a GTR for almost 5 years and never bothered launching it. Having said that, it was frighteningly fast off the mark just planting foot to the floor, so never really felt the need. The s3 feels a lot more sedate off the line without launch, so I'll absolutely be giving it a go once it's got a few more miles on it. I can see a limit would be irritating if you were into dragging it, but then you'd probably be tuning it anyway, so would be looking for a workaround for the 200 limit.

I've done quite a few launches. One was on long straight NSL. No traffic in front or behind. Good fun.

Autocar compared a Mk 5 Golf R DSG v manual 0-60mph times in this video. No launch control back then on the Mk 5 Golf R DSG. DSG much faster (6/10 sec to 60) every time, and much more consistent (same time on each of 3 runs). I am sure the same would hold true for the S3.

VW Golf R - DSG v manual video | Autocar

Autocar compared a Mk 5 Golf R DSG v manual 0-60mph times in this video. No launch control back then on the Mk 5 Golf R DSG. DSG much faster (6/10 sec to 60) every time, and much more consistent (same time on each of 3 runs). I am sure the same would hold true for the S3.

VW Golf R - DSG v manual video | Autocar

First of all, this is Mk6. And of course he was using LC. ESP off, DSG in S, left foot on brakes, right foot on the throttle and as you see in the video, from 3200 rpm it just takes off.

But: you don't have to take my word. Use a Racelogic or similar device like I did, and test it.

I posted the EVO magazine November 13 group test results a few months ago on S3 thread....see below.

S3 manual SB
0-30 in 1.8 seconds
0-60 in 5.4 seconds
0-100 in 12.5 seconds
1/4 mile in 13.7 seconds

Merc A45 AMG
0-30 in 1.7 seconds
0-60 in 4.3 seconds
0-100 in 10.6 seconds
1/4 mile in 12.8 seconds.

Golf GTI performance pack DSG
0-30 in 2.8 seconds
0-60 in 6.2 seconds
0-100 in 14.7 seconds
1/4 mile in 14.8 seconds.

I would have thought the S3 s-tronic would be just slightly faster with out LC from the times above. Ive seen videos where a car with s-tronic / DSG "leaps" forward when the manual car changes gear where it has no loss in forward momentum during shifts.

In the same conditions I think it would be safe to assume a S3 shifting in to second and then in to third would pull an advantage and a (slightly) faster 0-60 time.

Conditions and driver has something to do with it too I'm sure. My phone app said my S3 does 60 in 5.37 according to drag timer app on my Samsung S4. That was done on a hot day too so happy with that.

Last edited:
Good video this. Shows the difference in 0-60 times using S3 saloon with and without LC. Timed with race logic box.

Without LC think the S-Tronic version would be on par with a manual S3. Maybe slightly quicker but 0.2 of a second is not much. Certainly would be a sub 5.5 seconds for both in the dry and driven consistently well I feel.

Audi S3 Limousine 2.0 TFSI 300 hp - acceleration 0-100 km/h - YouTube

Last edited:
Reactions: Joetidman
5.2 without LC is pretty good actually, but faster than manual I assume as up shift to 2nd gear is quicker than most drivers can manage in a manual

5.2 without LC is pretty good actually, but faster than manual I assume as up shift to 2nd gear is quicker than most drivers can manage in a manual
That is super quick really and not far off the official time with LC. Happy with that.

The difference is all in the 0-50 time. What is LC actually doing to the car during the first second of acceleration?

The difference is all in the 0-50 time. What is LC actually doing to the car during the first second of acceleration?

Effectively gunning the engine up to 4k rpm with full boost and dumping the clutch. Unsurprisingly this is faster than going from idle revs.

Reactions: veeeight
Hmm that EVO test... Without testing the S3 hatch with s-tronic and launch control that test was never going to be fair. You have two automatic cars with duel clutch systems against the manual. Almost a "what were they thinking" moment.

That YouTube video is awesome! I'm gonna have to test that out now.

Good video. One notice, I think it was measured with 1 ft rollout, as on a dragstrip vs. what Audi claims without rollout.

Hmm that EVO test... Without testing the S3 hatch with s-tronic and launch control that test was never going to be fair. You have two automatic cars with duel clutch systems against the manual. Almost a "what were they thinking" moment.

Yes its not great they didn't test an s-tronic as well but its a good performance none the less.

I personally think from the video and the EVO times it shows which ever gearbox you go for the S3 is super quick.

A friend of mine thought the manual version would be much slower over a sprint up to 100 mph odd but from EVO figures it's just as quick.

Do you have a link to that video? Only evo vid I can find is vs the m135i?

Effectively gunning the engine up to 4k rpm with full boost and dumping the clutch. Unsurprisingly this is faster than going from idle revs.

Thanks, interesting. Wondered if it also amended traction control, quattro, suspension, but seems it's a straightforward max power approach

Here's another review link in case not already posted

Comparative Road Test: Audi S3 vs Subaru WRX: Comparative Road Test: Audi S3 vs Subaru WRX - YouTube

Do you have a link to that video? Only evo vid I can find is vs the m135i?
It wasnt a video. It was a magazine test. Dec 13 edition with GTI vs S3 vs Focus ST v Merc A45 AMG vs Megane RS.

Thanks, interesting. Wondered if it also amended traction control, quattro, suspension, but seems it's a straightforward max power approach

You have to have the ESP in sport mode (or off) for LC to work, so effectively the traction control is amended. No idea if it pre-locks the haldex for extra traction, it's possible.

The specific thread is about feedback from those who have S3's.

Craigl has a S3, which is he immensely disappointed with.

He mentioned he is seriously thinking of changing to a RS6, with air suspension.

Where you promptly jumped in and decried that it didn't and had mag-ride, in a rather condescending manner.

I'm sorry I've had to spell it out for you, but perhaps you should read more carefully before jumping in with both feet rather arrogantly, as you have appeared to do in quite a few recent posts.

I'm far from sorry I've had to spell it out for you, but perhaps you should read more carefully before jumping in with both feet rather arrogantly. The post I read made no reference to an RS6 and as stated, the thread is about the S3. At least you have got that right! I was reading from the top of the page, so haven't seen any of the preceding comments. Life's too short to wade through 18 pages of posts on a Smart Phone while your wife is getting you an ice cream :p So, wind your neck in pal, there's no need to step in and fight other peoples battles and make condescending remarks to others. The chap who retorted to my comments seemed to take it all in good humour. It's just Forum after all :slap:

Last edited:
Well someone reversed into my passenger side door in the morrisons car park. That's more general feedback on life.

I will start a new topic.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403216130586417

That's awful mate, I gasped when I saw it. Hope you get it all fixed soon

Just seeing that picture has put me off my breakfast. :puke2:

Ouch, that's not pretty. Good luck getting it sorted.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It will get sorted.

Ouch! I hope you find who did it. Shame not everyone has the common decency to leave their information after doing such things. Was Morrisons happy to oblige providing the footage from CCTV? I've heard that can be a pain in the ****.

Had the same thing happen to me with my TTS in a Tesco car park. Really feel for you. I'd only had the car 3 weeks as well. Makes my stomach turn to see that. Hope you get it sorted quickly. Might be worth checking CCTV with the store? I managed track down the car that hit mine and the Police took it form there... I did eventually recover my excess from the ******** who did it and drove off. Was a transit van owned by a self employed builder. £7000 damage he did...

Ouch, that must have been gut wrenching when you saw it. You would have thought some one witnessed it.

Hope it all gets sorted for you, did you get the cctv footage?

There are definitely scums out there! And definitely people behind the wheels that shouldn't be.

So little respect for other people's property.

I would be devistated if I returned to my car and someone had done that to it.

Hope you're able to track the culprit down, and that your car is repaired to the same standard as when it left the factory.