Feedback from those with S3s now

It's a car and just a car but a very very decent one, seriously fast.

Only thing is mine seems to get regular greasy nose shaped smudges on the drivers window ;-)

Reactions: RYuill
It's a car and just a car but a very very decent one, seriously fast.

Only thing is mine seems to get regular greasy nose shaped smudges on the drivers window ;-)

Did you not give your wife the spare key? ;)

Reactions: FishyFinger and warren_S5
I have to admit that I am slightly disappointed too. My concerns are more on the quality then on the performances. I used to drive a BMW Z4 E89. Never had a problem in 40.000 km I kept the car. The inline 6 sound was true music to my ears. Unfortunately it was an heavy, slow car and fuel-thirsty. But with great character.

This S3 thing is updated with lot of technological gadgets, is a lot more "precise" and relaxing to drive and, ok, it has 100 hp more.

But, damn, in 3000 km I got:

- A driver seat play that the dealer has not been able to fix
- A B&O speaker replaced because it was crackling
- The rustling noise accelerating
- The metallic noise in background accelerating.
- A sticky breake pedal...sometimes, when I release it, it does not return immediately in zero position.

These are very bad premises so far.

So, let's judge by yourselves...

It's a daily driver, but is so anodyne it's really uninspiring.
It's rails and 4wd help, but I think it's a total disappointment dynamically.

Did you not test drive it before you bought it? I'm confused as to why you don't like it.

Personally, I've never "enjoyed" a car straight from the factory. Hence why I always mod my cars. Throwing in a tuning box and a better air filter has already changed the car dramatically. A downpipe, IC, and proper airbox, along with a proper tune, will completely alter this car. If you don't like it after that, throw in some sway bars, coils, control arms, and engine mounts to fix the handling. If you still don't like it, throw in a bigger turbo and a BBK. If, after all of that, you still have issues, then perhaps a Ferrari 458 or Ariel Atom is more up your alley.

Reactions: warren_S5
If you can wheelspin or the ESP light comes on in dry, grippy conditions, in a straight line, then you have a problem with your Haldex. Probably the pump.

Try your car in a wet grass field. You can soon tell if you have front wheel drive, or 4 wheel drive.

If you are accelerating out of a bend hard with bad loose grip (bad asphalt) - and the DSG downshifts, then yes, it is possible that the ESP will come on because it is trying to keep you going around the corner, rather than into the ditch.

edit:
See:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/202294-wheel-spining-my-s3.html
Went to the dealer and this was it(haldexpump broken)!
Bit strange for a new car so possibly production default,but I am very happy that they found the problem so I was driving FWD!

Reactions: veeeight
5 dislikes in 1000 miles:

1. The woeful interior storage space, lack of bins, small door pockets, tiny glovebox without shelf etc.

2. The ride quality of the suspension - secondary ride isn't as good as it could be, in certain situations it's "bouncy", "fidgety" and "unsettled" depending on road surface. But not "harsh" or "crashy" like the 8P S-line suspension. I think this can be cured with better rebound/compression settings on the dampers.

3. Standard Sports Seats aren't that supportive laterally

4. The steering wheel rake angle tilts the top of the wheel too far towards the front of the car. Very difficult to get a decent reach and height adjustment to suit all positions of the wheel.

5. Ridiculous amount of soot that collects on the tailpipes !

For me,

The door sills are high and you sit low which impairs visibility

The stronic / turbo seem to go to sleep sometimes

its fast enough in berkshire - ive averaged 26mph over 1500 odd miles so far

Are you sure you have the correct suspension setting - seems fine to me on comfort setting around town and motorways and dynamic is better if overtaking

agree that the seating position/steering wheel rake are awful - even after 1500 miles i still havent found the right setting - on my pug 307xsi i found the right setting in seconds despite having fewer options

Why would you order the S3 if you think its so fundamentally flawed? I just find that odd. Not that I am a race driver like you appear to be - but I know on my tests I drove the S3 fairly indeed hard and was very happy with the way it handled and turned as a road car. Perhaps I have less experience of other faster road cars as a comparison but I cannot see there is a fundamental flaw and hence don't understand why you would order such a flawed car?

i agree with that the french are the masters of getting the balance of their cars spot on - problem usually is quality of parts and breakdowns in the past, which arent as bad now but its the quality of materials and whether you like the often quirky interior/exterior - nearest audi have is the s1 which looks unlike most modern audis

Does anyone else find that they get a reflection of the silver rim of the front left passenger air vent visible in the passenger side wing mirror?

It's such a big problem for me that if audi launch the rs3 with black air vents then I may have to upgrade

- A sticky breake pedal...sometimes, when I release it, it does not return immediately in zero position.

Hi, i have the same and only problem, i have just 500kms but that feeling is strange. Is it an issue or just the way it has to be?

Does anyone else find that they get a reflection of the silver rim of the front left passenger air vent visible in the passenger side wing mirror?

It's such a big problem for me that if audi launch the rs3 with black air vents then I may have to upgrade

I didn't until you said that, then I noticed it this morning, so, um, thanks. :p

^ yes, same. Never noticed it, just looked straight through it until today :(

There already is a matt gunmetal version of the air vent surround, this is what you get if you don't spec the aluminium interior elements option.

100 mile review

Hey, I did about 100 miles in the first 2 days. It's on 110 now after today's commute. This is just a quick list from what I've found so far.

Pros:

Acceleration is fantastic
ACC is simply brilliant, a must have option - However, it needs to respond quicker when the car in front turns off the road you're on.
MMI setup was so easy, just connected my phone via bluetooth and the MMI cable and that was it. You'll get used to it within 30 minutes
Exhaust gear change sound is very head turning
Looks the part and makes my friends jealous (lol)
Seating position is low to the road making it feel quicker at slower speeds

Cons:

This waste gate rattle thing which everyone is going on about, it's quite loud in my car
You have to be quite heavy footed to get a real sense of decent acceleration
The throttle response time could be better - I've floored it and then had to release quickly when there was lots of noise but no movement. Then when I had no foot on the accelerator after lifting off the car lurched forwards quickly. I'm probably not used to it, but it completely threw me.
The Audi sound system bass isn't too great, I'm going to fit my own subwoofer to enjoy all the Mozart that requires listening to...
There should be a button on the steering wheel for changing the drive select.
No clock on the dash screen, keep having to look at my watch when driving.

I'm being very picky with my cons, I love this car and would recommend anyone reading this forum on the edge of making the decision to get one to go down to a dealer and place an order. You will not regret it. I'll do another review at 1000 miles.

Jimmydougle

I've found throttle response is improved (if not in dynamic mode) by flicking the S-tronic into 'S' mode

The star button on the steering wheel is set by default to cycle through the drive select modes. You can program it to do other stuff if preferred

If you cycle through the dash display modes one of them gives you a permanent clock display plus a separate cyclable read out of other parameters

Totally agree with you on the overall awesomeness of the car :)

Jimmydougle

I've found throttle response is improved (if not in dynamic mode) by flicking the S-tronic into 'S' mode

The star button on the steering wheel is set by default to cycle through the drive select modes. You can program it to do other stuff if preferred

If you cycle through the dash display modes one of them gives you a permanent clock display plus a separate cyclable read out of other parameters

Totally agree with you on the overall awesomeness of the car :)

Ah still learning about new things every day with this car! Thanks for sorting out my issues. :)
only found out earlier when in D you can shift down to get to S mode. Thought it was only in Dynamic lol

100 mile review

Hey, I did about 100 miles in the first 2 days. It's on 110 now after today's commute. This is just a quick list from what I've found so far.

Pros:

Acceleration is fantastic
ACC is simply brilliant, a must have option - However, it needs to respond quicker when the car in front turns off the road you're on.
MMI setup was so easy, just connected my phone via bluetooth and the MMI cable and that was it. You'll get used to it within 30 minutes
Exhaust gear change sound is very head turning
Looks the part and makes my friends jealous (lol)
Seating position is low to the road making it feel quicker at slower speeds

Cons:

This waste gate rattle thing which everyone is going on about, it's quite loud in my car
You have to be quite heavy footed to get a real sense of decent acceleration
The throttle response time could be better - I've floored it and then had to release quickly when there was lots of noise but no movement. Then when I had no foot on the accelerator after lifting off the car lurched forwards quickly. I'm probably not used to it, but it completely threw me.
The Audi sound system bass isn't too great, I'm going to fit my own subwoofer to enjoy all the Mozart that requires listening to...
There should be a button on the steering wheel for changing the drive select.
No clock on the dash screen, keep having to look at my watch when driving.

I'm being very picky with my cons, I love this car and would recommend anyone reading this forum on the edge of making the decision to get one to go down to a dealer and place an order. You will not regret it. I'll do another review at 1000 miles.

There is a button on the steering wheel for Drive Select! The * button can be programmed to do different things, drive select is one of the options :)

Do you all know that if you're in D and then flick a paddle to go into M, then you can go straight back to D by just holding the right + paddle for 3 secs... or of course just leave it to time out and automatically switch back to D a little later, which can be annoying as there is a bit of a time lag. I have shown this to a number of people with audi and vw double clutch boxes and none of new you could do this. It certainly wasn't in the manual for both my TTs... get my S3 next week, so will report back on what I think. I'm trying to ignore some of the moans and groans I am reading here - makes me wonder if people bothered to properly test drive an S3 before buying! I always try to drive at least a couple of different cars before deciding...

Reactions: kikin
Do you all know that if you're in D and then flick a paddle to go into M, then you can go straight back to D by just holding the right + paddle for 3 secs... or of course just leave it to time out and automatically switch back to D a little later, which can be annoying as there is a bit of a time lag. I have shown this to a number of people with audi and vw double clutch boxes and none of new you could do this. It certainly wasn't in the manual for both my TTs... get my S3 next week, so will report back on what I think. I'm trying to ignore some of the moans and groans I am reading here - makes me wonder if people bothered to properly test drive an S3 before buying! I always try to drive at least a couple of different cars before deciding...

Yep, sure do know this and use it all the time. I tend to use D most of the time but use the downshift on the paddle to do engine braking on long hills etc and then click and hold the right paddle to get it back into D again

i must be the only person to be utterly underwhelmed by my S3.

No you aren't.
Ive just had a day in the S3 after 4 weeks driving the SLK and just found the whole experience uninspiring and very disappointing.

I won't go into what I dislike, as the list will be long and I don't want to rain on anyones parade, but I really am considering changing it. Just need to see if I can find something I like (there is a very interesting RS Megane coming out soon) and see how good Audi (quick selling) residuals are.

Here's what I do like, just so it's not all negative; B&O when played loud is exceptional, look of the car, feel of the interior.

If anyone fancies a 2014 S3 5 door s-tronic in Misano, with only 3000 miles on the clock, PM me.

I won't go into what I dislike, as the list will be long and I don't want to rain on anyones parade,

I'm intrigued and we're all adults.. please share with us what you dislike. Always good to hear peoples (constructive) feedback

Reactions: kanecullen89 and monopole
I'm intrigued and we're all adults.. please share with us what you dislike. Always good to hear peoples (constructive) feedback

After all we are all different and like different things so no car is going to suit everyone.

Okay:

Haldex system is poor for a drivers car. Needs to be more rear biased.
A FWD car with a good diff corners and drives much better.
RWD car so far superior it is incredible.

Understeer.

Steering; floaty and lifeless with no feedback.

Suspension not particularly well set up for fast cornering and feels like it wasn't really created for the poor UK roads.

Seating position too high, with no (proper) sports seat option.

Zero character, it's never a car I could bond with, it's a soulless lump of metal with no sense of occasion. An Audi I guess.

If you can forget all of the above it is an okay car for back and forth to work, but I find myself preferring to use the wives car or the SLK.

I just feel that Audi should start more from scratch to create their S cars. It's basically an A3 with a big engine. Not a huge amount of bespoke engineering has gone on to improve it from the way the A3 s-line is set up. Other manufacturers put more effort into their cars.

Anyway, these are just my opinion, most will disagree, but I was asked so there it goes.
Will see where it goes from here......

Reactions: warren_S5, geefunk1978 and kanecullen89
Okay:

Haldex system is poor for a drivers car. Needs to be more rear biased.
A FWD car with a good diff corners and drives much better.
RWD car so far superior it is incredible.

You need to step up to Torsen based Audis then.

The Haldex system can never be made to be RWD biased. It's technically impossible as a clutch based system. And S car were never really designed to be re-engineered sports cars. That's that the RS models are for.

Audi HAVE designed the S range to be just what you described. An understated fast version of the standard car. The Halo models in each range are now RSes.

Craigl, that's disappointing .. It's the primary reason I got rid of my 8P S3, soulless lump even when remapped .. The JCW mini was slower, less traction, not as well built (death chain rattle, driver seat play) had absolutely no grip in the snow (30 mins to park it on a slight incline anyone? (Yep should have had winter tyres) but it had character in spades .. It always put a smile on your face ..

I am hoping the new S3 has a bit more about it, it's my first S-tronic and I really liked it on a few extended test drives, wait and see I guess ..

The Haldex system can never be made to be RWD biased. It's technically impossible as a clutch based system. And S car were never really designed to be re-engineered sports cars. That's that the RS models are for.

Audi HAVE designed the S range to be just what you described. An understated fast version of the standard car. The Halo models in each range are now RSes.

I have, had a 2013 S5 before the S3.
It had a different set of issues, but the S3 would be far better out of the box for that AWD set up.

Had a weekend in the new RS4 and to be honest it didn't do anything for me, with the exception of a great engine, but suspension set-up shocking on UK roads and far too heavy.
I think I'll eventually move on from Audi (sooner or later) and, with the exception of a R8 related itch I have to scratch one day, won't be back.

It had a different set of issues, but the S3 would be far better out of the box for that AWD set up.

Out of interest, how do you think the s3 would be better for that setup. You have to turn the engine, gearbox and diff though 90 degrees for it even to get anywhere close to be able to use a torsen system.

Then you have the same problem as all Torsen based Audis...... the engine is too far forward compare to their RWD compatriots hence the inherent understeery properties in all Quattro Audis (apart from the mid engine'd R8)

No you aren't.
Ive just had a day in the S3 after 4 weeks driving the SLK and just found the whole experience uninspiring and very disappointing.

I won't go into what I dislike, as the list will be long and I don't want to rain on anyones parade, but I really am considering changing it. Just need to see if I can find something I like (there is a very interesting RS Megane coming out soon) and see how good Audi (quick selling) residuals are.

Here's what I do like, just so it's not all negative; B&O when played loud is exceptional, look of the car, feel of the interior.

If anyone fancies a 2014 S3 5 door s-tronic in Misano, with only 3000 miles on the clock, PM me.

CraigI: I know how you feel,I've had my auto S3 for a couple of months now after changing from a 2wd TT. Basically I was looking for another TT which had occasional space for two adults in the back and it came down to either the S3 or a Scirocco and I test drove them both. The S3 seemed to offer the most practicality but was very hard on the suspension so I had to spec it with magnetic damping.

My impression so far is that the S3 now gives me a comfortable ride and has an upmarket interior but it just feels bland to drive and doesn't give me the same excitement I got from the TT. The steering is very light and feels disconnected from the road, probably due to the move to electrical power assistance. The 4wd makes the car heavier than I have been used to and for all it's 300hp it just doesn't feel that fast. I'm also still trying to find a seat and steering wheel position which suits.

The final straw came recently when I parked next to a friend and he asked if I had bought a Volvo.

Reactions: 6audi6
but I find myself preferring to use the wives car or the SLK

Impressed that you appear to have:
A. Several nice cars in your garage
B. Two, possibly more wives
C. The wives all share a car

We are not worthy ;)

Reactions: Scott
Clearly you have brought the wrong car for the intended expectations in your mind and that of your pocket , The S3 for the price and as a all round fast fun car is a 8
out of 10 , as a everyday daily .

If you want a car with real soul and RWD get one of these Rx7 FD New rims

I clearly know which one i prefer to drive everyday in every day traffic and comfort , you cannot expect any make of car too be a complete sum of all your expectations imagined or real .

Reactions: dstama and auroan

Had a weekend in the new RS4 and to be honest it didn't do anything for me, with the exception of a great engine, but suspension set-up shocking on UK roads and far too heavy.
I think I'll eventually move on from Audi (sooner or later) and, with the exception of a R8 related itch I have to scratch one day, won't be back.

I think you have summed up Audi cars quite well tbh. If that's not what your after then a move is your best bet.

No you aren't.

I can see your point coming from SLK AMG or any other car that is dynamically superior. For some (like me) who have not owned anything more fruity than an S3 it probably does get the juices flowing much more than it would for you. I had a ride along in an SLK AMG once - to me it sounded like a Messerschmitt and seemed to have enormous amounts of grip. Very memorable drive......

I did own the current MINI JCW and although it did handle nice it was not the last word in refinement, pace or interior quality. But it did make me want to get up early on a sunny day and thrash it. Yet to have that pang with the S3......

Last edited:
Reactions: CraigI, veeeight, 6audi6 and 1 other person
I think for me Pulp's last line sums up my current feeling for my S3. I am slightly underwhelmed by it after the first month. That's not to say it's not a good car - far from it. However whilst I respect it, right now I just can't love it.

I've had a couple of 8P S3 Sportbacks and, if I'm honest, I actually found the 8P steering to be slightly better than the 8V. It just feels too disconnected (and in dynamic mode artificially heavy with no feel whatsoever). The suspension is a huge improvement, firm but not jolting over pot holes like the 8P. It does feel 'floaty' however I don't find this unnecessarily unnerving. To me it feels fairly planted but unfortunately the steering feel (or lack of) just makes the car feel disconnected.

Does it help that I've gone for S-tronic as opposed to manual - which my previous 8Ps were ? I think this removes a certain amount of enjoyment. However I was happy to sacrifice this for the convenience around town. However I have found the gearbox to be jerky when moving from standstill, almost if the handbrake doesn't want to release in hill hold mode. It is especially awful when engaging reverse. It has been in the garage to be recalibrated - unfortunately its not a great deal better and I have been told its within tolerance.

Once moving the S-tronic is as smooth as silk and I have no complaints with the power. Its a very quick and efficient motor. However right now it just doesn't have that last little bit of driver enjoyment - its almost too efficient, too effortless in what it does. Unless you're at licence losing speeds it just doesn't seem to connect.

So why buy one? For me it had to be a compromise car. Its my only car and its my daily runner. For absolute fun I could have gone with a Renault Megane RS or similar. But I couldn't live with the freefall depreciation or interior quality. I considered an M135i, similar power but perhaps more involvement? However I live in the sticks and RWD isn't an option. Nor could I live with the dumpy looks.

Inside the S3 is fantastic - a real step up from the 8P. Everything falls to hand perfectly and, for the money, it feels like a premium product. And you spend a lot of time sitting in your car. Yes, there is a lack of oddments space but the car has a boot and my missus has a lap! My only disappointment is the B&O stereo. Its good but £750 good? No. I had an A4 for short time and the B&O was superior in the A4. If I had to choose again I would probably just go for the ***. Even if it did mean losing the speaker lights which, with the interior light pack, make the S3 a pretty special place to sit at night.

I also love the upshift theatrics from the exhaust and the noise it makes on throttle - however synthesised. It sounds so much better than my previous S3s. And it is slightly more fuel efficient too when driven in the same manner. Maybe only 3-4 mpg but a bonus nonetheless.

However I find myself raving about the interior more than the dynamics. Which on reflection, one month in, isn't where I suspected to be. As I've mentioned it had to be a daily runner and family transport, as well as for my own pleasure. And in that respect I have to say it touches most bases 85% of the time. And that should be enough. It is a good car and the best compromise for where I'm at. But right now I just don't get that desire to jump in it and drive it hard solely for pleasure. I hope that 'pang' comes.

Reactions: Pulp84 and veeeight
I think for me Pulp's last line sums up my current feeling for my S3. I am slightly underwhelmed by it after the first month. That's not to say it's not a good car - far from it. However whilst I respect it, right now I just can't love it.

I've had a couple of 8P S3 Sportbacks and, if I'm honest, I actually found the 8P steering to be slightly better than the 8V. It just feels too disconnected (and in dynamic mode artificially heavy with no feel whatsoever). The suspension is a huge improvement, firm but not jolting over pot holes like the 8P. It does feel 'floaty' however I don't find this unnecessarily unnerving. To me it feels fairly planted but unfortunately the steering feel (or lack of) just makes the car feel disconnected.

Does it help that I've gone for S-tronic as opposed to manual - which my previous 8Ps were ? I think this removes a certain amount of enjoyment. However I was happy to sacrifice this for the convenience around town. However I have found the gearbox to be jerky when moving from standstill, almost if the handbrake doesn't want to release in hill hold mode. It is especially awful when engaging reverse. It has been in the garage to be recalibrated - unfortunately its not a great deal better and I have been told its within tolerance.

Once moving the S-tronic is as smooth as silk and I have no complaints with the power. Its a very quick and efficient motor. However right now it just doesn't have that last little bit of driver enjoyment - its almost too efficient, too effortless in what it does. Unless you're at licence losing speeds it just doesn't seem to connect.

So why buy one? For me it had to be a compromise car. Its my only car and its my daily runner. For absolute fun I could have gone with a Renault Megane RS or similar. But I couldn't live with the freefall depreciation or interior quality. I considered an M135i, similar power but perhaps more involvement? However I live in the sticks and RWD isn't an option. Nor could I live with the dumpy looks.

Inside the S3 is fantastic - a real step up from the 8P. Everything falls to hand perfectly and, for the money, it feels like a premium product. And you spend a lot of time sitting in your car. Yes, there is a lack of oddments space but the car has a boot and my missus has a lap! My only disappointment is the B&O stereo. Its good but £750 good? No. I had an A4 for short time and the B&O was superior in the A4. If I had to choose again I would probably just go for the ***. Even if it did mean losing the speaker lights which, with the interior light pack, make the S3 a pretty special place to sit at night.

I also love the upshift theatrics from the exhaust and the noise it makes on throttle - however synthesised. It sounds so much better than my previous S3s. And it is slightly more fuel efficient too when driven in the same manner. Maybe only 3-4 mpg but a bonus nonetheless.

However I find myself raving about the interior more than the dynamics. Which on reflection, one month in, isn't where I suspected to be. As I've mentioned it had to be a daily runner and family transport, as well as for my own pleasure. And in that respect I have to say it touches most bases 85% of the time. And that should be enough. It is a good car and the best compromise for where I'm at. But right now I just don't get that desire to jump in it and drive it hard solely for pleasure. I hope that 'pang' comes.

One comment is I think the S3 B&O is much better than the A4/5 system to be honest

Well I'm 3 months in and I do like the S3, quite a lot actually. That said I agree with the other comments too. As said above some of us need a compromise car. It's fast, well built and 4wd. Now everyone's criteria is different so no one car will ever fit all.
It's not an ultimate drivers car, but being an Audi S car, it never was going to be to be honest. It's haldex, FWD bias so it's no RWD monster. I knew it wasn't going to handle as well as a RWD car round a track, have tail happy fun or match the best set up diff specd FWD before I bought it.
I wanted a quick road car not track car but some will and for me Audi S cars are not going to give you that. Each to their own, the struggle these days is to find any modern car with genuine character. Not character that some decides a car has just because they like it

Reactions: veeeight

This is just perpetuating myth. I have owned two Torsen/mech. Audis (including my current S4 with sport dif) and one S3 sportback (8P). The Haldex and Torsens are set up to function nearly the same on the road with both having slight advantages and disadvantages. The Haldex can and does regularly send more than 50 percent of power rearwards, anyone who says otherwise does not understand how the system responds, particulary with differing axle speeds. It can also theoretically be set up with rear bias, if the engineers design a fixed degree of slip into the front axle. As it stands, the Gen 4 and 5 Haldex are rear biased in nearly every acceleration scenario, and also in many dynamic cornering scenarios with lots of weight transfer. The myths surrounding Haldex are endless, and even most magazine reviewers get things wrong because they don't understand what the system can and can't do.

Also the new torsen systems are 40/60 rear bias, and you do notice compared to the 50/50. Not hugely but difference is there

Reactions: kanecullen89
Also do not forget that the latest torsen T3 diff (used in all modern longitudinal engined audi quattros from about 2008) has a 4:1 ratio. This means that the diff can automatically go from a 20:80 split to an 80:20 split, completely mechanically (instantaneous) without any electronic aid. It's an extremely versatile system and that is a huge advantage over the haldex's maximum 50:50 power split. Plus is a very very reliable system

I liked my new S3, but I didn't love it and for many of the same reasons as these later threads. I changed into the S3 from a 150 TDI S-Line which I felt had a good balance between the power and the chassis, so I ordered (and didn't test drive)...

I just didn't gel with the S3. I felt it was a fantastic overall proposition but to me felt a little dull/wooden. I sold it after 4 months, and now drive an RSQ3 (another can of worms I know:yes:) - nice noise though and it feels fun and for me that's the difference.

It's quite comforting to hear some of the more candid late reviews that have arrived. When I heard the barrage of gushing press about this car from early owners I was surprised how glowing the reviews were. I've just taken delivery of a new car and have a mixture of views on it despite being in the honeymoon period, but I genuinely wondered whether I'd driven a 'bad' S3 on the day I tested it as it just felt 'solid' if unexceptional. It's quick, but it definitely felt it needed some more magic unlocking in the form of modifications (power & handling). I was getting PMs from some forum members telling me to change my order to an S3 because I'd made the wrong choice yada yada.

I'd be really interested to drive one with a remap, exhaust and a spring damper upgrade, but I'm not sure it would rectify the steering. Now more intrigued than ever to see what the RS delivers as I expected this to be my next car.

Last edited:
Reactions: kanecullen89