Feedback from those with S3s now

I'm going Friday afternoon, be nice to meet up if you're about mate.
I didn't fancy my car going on the stand for 4 days as it's my personal car and don't want it getting scratched/scuffed etc as you know what general public are like at these shows they don't give a s**t about the cars.

For what it’s worth, here are my first impressions of my Estoril Blue S3 8V SB. Before I go, it is worth mentioning that it has been 10 years since we bought our last new car (a 2003 Subaru Forester XT which I still have and love – don’t judge me). It seems that 10 years is a long time and much has changed – with that in mind, you might find me being impressed with features that every new car has these days.

Apologies in advance for the length!

First off, my wife and I picked up the car last Tuesday from Brighton Audi (in Melbourne not the UK). The delivery experience was excellent with a full rundown of the features of the car and even a demo of the park assist in the carpark. In the last week we have done a fair bit of driving in all sorts of conditions from 100’s of miles of highway driving to bumper-to-bumper city traffic.

Things that have impressed me the most:-

• The sweet, sweet engine coupled with the s-tronic. Believe it or not, the Subaru is no slouch and can do 0-100km/h nicely under 6 seconds but the S3 is in another league. On numerous occasions over the weekend my wife would pull over on a quiet country road and then hammer the throttle with a grin from ear to ear. It is so much fun! We drove the ‘Black Spur’ on the weekend which is a great long winding road through a mountain ash forest north east of Melbourne and while we weren’t pushing too hard, the handling was amazing. This is our first auto and so far we have no complaints about the s-tronic.
  • The adaptive cruise control. We do a lot of rural driving and use cruise control on the Subaru all the time but it can be a pain in the backside when in traffic that is running at variable speed. ACC fixes that completely. We were a touch hesitant at first but within minutes of turning it on and have it gently slow down to the speed of the car in front we were in love. The hours and hours of driving we did over the week were a pure joy. I’ve seen a few posts about pre-sense not kicking in when the car in front stops suddenly – we obviously didn’t test this feature but we both felt that because we weren’t focused on managing the gap to the car in front we were able to pay more attention to what was going on around us and would be better able to react to an incident. I understand the counter argument, that because the car is doing the work, it is easy to get distracted but this was not the case for us.
  • Audi Side Assist. This one was a bit of a surprise – it came with the ‘safety package’ in Australian S3s and wasn’t really expecting too much. The lane detection technology is cool as it gently warns you that you are leaving your lane but the feature we liked more was the blind spot (side assist) indicators. On the inside of each mirror is a small square of orange LEDs that light up when a car is approaching your blind spots. If you attempt to change lanes, the lights flash to let you know that there is a car there. If you continue to change lanes the steering wheel will vibrate in warning (we didn’t try this feature!). I think that this is an intuitive feature and while I have never had an accident in my 20+ years of driving, I still find it useful in creating situational awareness.
  • The B&O. From the tinny little speakers in the Subaru to this – wow! You can crank this up all the way and it still sounds amazing. I’m no audiophile so can’t really provide any objective assessment of quality but I can say that it is brilliant. We were searching our playlists for some classical music just to hear it at high volume.
  • MMI Nav Plus. This is our first integrated navigation system and it works really well. The MMI in general is great. We had no issues hooking up Apple and Android devices using Bluetooth, the supplied cable and even wireless. Phone integration is great. Loaded all 50Gb of our music collection onto an SD card, wacked it into one of the slots in the glove box, waited a couple of minutes to cache the 1000s of songs and now we have access to our whole music library without leaving the car.
  • S sports seats. To be honest, I was a little disappointed to discover that the S sports seats, apart from the lumbar support, did not have electronic adjustment (the standard Aus spec seats do). In reality, the lack of electronic adjustment isn’t a big deal – my wife and I are different heights and we can adjust the seats on the Subaru as we sit down without event thinking about it. This is already starting to happen in the Audi. The seats themselves are really comfortable and very adjustable. We drove for hours on these things without any discomfort.
  • Advanced Key (or comfort key as it is called in Australia!). Ok, this one is a bit of a gimmick but going from a 10 year old car to this, the Advanced key just makes the whole experience so much cooler. Walking up to the door and opening it without taking your key out of your pocket is cool. Starting the car with the push of a button is even cooler. I still find myself fumbling for the phantom key when I want to stop the car but I’m sure that will pass.

I haven’t really driven at night to date (it is daylight saving here and is light quite late) so no chance to assess the LED headlights as yet.
Things that have least impressed me:-

• Weird MMI Crash. We had an issue the other day where some of the menus in the car were disabled because the MMI insisted that the car was ‘off’ despite the fact that we were doing 100km/h down the freeway. When we next started the car, all of the car settings had been reset to factory default. It was not a big deal to set them again but I wouldn’t want to see it happen again. In many ways, this is my biggest concern with software driven cars – I’m a software engineer and I have seen some pretty dodgy code in my time. I appreciate the testing and redundancy performed but I still can’t help but worry that line of code that inadvertently tells the ACC to drive up the rear of the car in front.
  • Searching for Music. The car has a really neat feature where you can search for an address by just ‘writing’ with your finger on the MMI controller. This works pretty well. Our music collection has 1000s of songs but as far as I can tell, there is no way to search for a particular song, artist or album. This ‘writing’ input would be a perfect way to let you search for a song rather that the somewhat archaic scrolling mechanism. Also, the voice integration does not allow you to say a song or artist so that doesn’t help either. I anticipate that this could (and should) be resolved with a firmware update.
  • More control over the driver display. Being a geek, I want a little more control over what gets displayed on the driver display screen. All the information I need is there, it is just scattered over all the different display options. It would be nice to configure them on a single display.
  • Storage space. Our Subaru has more storage spots than we know what to do with. On the Audi there is almost no storage space. The glove box comes almost completely full. The arm rest storage is tiny and the side storage is not large enough to for our street directory (I know it is redundant with the Nav but I have a cartography background and still have a soft spot for paper maps).
  • Missing Options. There are a number of options that, at least at this stage, are not available on Australian Spec cars. These include Audi connect and folding mirrors. It would be nice if these could be added if we wanted (the spec sheet I have does not mention that fact that they even exist).

As you can see, very small niggles at this stage. For all of those waiting, I suspect that you won’t be disappointed

And here is the spec (SB S-tronic Estoril):-

Standard Australian Spec:-

• TPM
  • Audi Parking System Plus (with PA and rear camera)
  • Audi drive select
  • Interior Lighting Package
  • Xenon plus (replaced with LEDs - see below)
  • MMI Nav Plus
  • AMI
  • Audi Sound System (replaced with B&O see below)
  • Advanced Key
  • Auto dimming mirror

S performance Package

• S sports seats
  • Audi Magnetic Ride
  • B&O
  • 3D black inlays
  • 18" parallel spoke star design wheels
  • S design red brake callipers
  • LED headlights

Assistance Package

• ACC
  • Audi Pre Sense
  • Audi Lane Assist
  • High Beam Assistant
  • Audi Side Assist

Also opted for privacy glass.

Reactions: SlightlyYapper, danilotto, TTLAW and 5 others
Scherz, do you appreciate the impact of a mechanical differential over and above the electronic closed system OEM on the 8V ?

The "impact"? I am not entirely sure what you are asking, since the question is worded vaguely. But I'll attempt to answer anyways. The key advantage that the old mechanical Torsen 50/50 system had over Haldex 2, was that the system was biased for an even power split by default. This meant more predictable handling, as there was no seesaw effect from Haldex power shuffling on slip (as there sometimes was with Haldex 2) on, for example, corner exit if the front wheels lost grip.

With Haldex 4 and 5 (VAG Haldex cars from 2008 onward), this is no longer an issue. The systems are preemptive and can at any time transfer at up to 50% or even more than 50%* before any axle slip whatsoever (*Through, for example, driveline slip over the coupling. On acceleration, for example, torque dist. would be approximately 60-70% to the rear, to match dynamic weight distribution) -- and smoothly, like a mech. system. Should their be additional slip on an axle, they respond as the Torsen system would have -- by transferring additional proportional (to the amount of slip) torque to the axle that needs it -- with an added benefit in that they can transfer up to 100% of torque (I think Torsen maxes at 85%).

The one real advantage I see for the latest mechanical systems Audi now offers is the optional torque vectoring "sports" diff for the rear. Haldex 4 was also equipped with such a differential in Saab cars, but I do not know why Audi has never offered it for their own Haldex cars (licensing?). Regardless, the standard Gen 4 and 5 systems are very good, and as always, the cars still need to be driven with sympathy for their AWD nature. Avoiding traction loss is largely the responsibility of the driver; no diff is going to solve the problem of under or over driving the different phases of a corner.

*Edited for clarity

Last edited:
Reactions: Lmg, Silky-S3 and J6YAK
try a rwd car without winter tyres like a bmw - nail it full left or right lock, wrap car around the nearest tree

My old TTRS would break traction if I tried to nail it on full lock. There's very few cars I can think of that wouldn't. If you pull a stunt like that, what do you expect! Simple physics... a bit like the moron I work with who stacked his s tronic TT by using the launch control as he pulled out of a garage - he ended up sideways and into an oncoming car. Ouch. Whilst on the subject, my new Cayman S is rear wheel drive, runs on summer tyres and on a wet back road, I'll happily take the pepsi challenge with any 4wd hot hatch :racer:

Reactions: Lmg, scherzkeks and Silky-S3
There are a number of options that, at least at this stage, are not available on Australian Spec cars. These include Audi connect and folding mirrors. It would be nice if these could be added if we wanted (the spec sheet I have does not mention that fact that they even exist).

Thanks for the detailed review!

I think you'll find you can now option the folding mirrors but you're right the initial spec sheet had no mention of this, the new (current) one certainly does though.. a little annoying if you ordered early!

Thanks for the review misthills. Our car is scheduled for week 5 and has almost the same spec as yours but in amalfi white and folding mirrors. Was annoyed that sub 30k fiesta ST comes with these folding mirrors standard while Audi charged almost $800!

Have also noticed on the test drives the lack of storage places. Not even sunglass spot which the golfs have. Tsk tsk..

We will also be doing a lot of highway driving so am looking forward to using the assistance package features. What did you think about the lane assist?

Thanks for the detailed review!

I think you'll find you can now option the folding mirrors but you're right the initial spec sheet had no mention of this, the new (current) one certainly does though.. a little annoying if you ordered early!

I noticed that they now have the configuration tool for the s3 on line on the Audi Aus website but it has even less options than the original spec sheet! I probably would have spec'd the mirrors if they had been available but I won't lose any sleep over it :)

Thanks for the review misthills. Our car is scheduled for week 5 and has almost the same spec as yours but in amalfi white and folding mirrors. Was annoyed that sub 30k fiesta ST comes with these folding mirrors standard while Audi charged almost $800!

Have also noticed on the test drives the lack of storage places. Not even sunglass spot which the golfs have. Tsk tsk..

We will also be doing a lot of highway driving so am looking forward to using the assistance package features. What did you think about the lane assist?

The lane assist certainly seems to work. The thing is, I generally don't have trouble keeping the car in the lane in the first place so I'm not sure how often I will 'need' it. I was driving down a busy freeway the other day going round a gentle bend in the road and noticed it weighting the steering wheel to guide the car round the bend. I also attempted an overtake (safely) without the indicator and it definitely let me know I was leaving the lane. I probably need a little more time with it to know if it is useful.

I think many of us are getting fed up waiting for our cars Mr Rock!

Well after 400 miles or so here are my initial thoughts;

Engine; Although I haven't thrashed it the engine feels very strong. I've not gone over 4500rpm but have had no real need as the scenery goes by pretty quickly at that! There is a very slight lag at about 1200RPM but it lasts very little time asnd isn't that bad compared to other 2L Turbo cars I have driven (my previous car being a mk3 focus ST which had really bad lag). Over a pretty mixed journey with a fair amount of city driving I am getting between 31 and 33mpg too which is pretty damned good.

Brakes; Now that they have bedded in the brakes are really strong. The pedal has a nice feel to it and is well balanced meaning that you can left foot brake easily enough.

Handling; The grip out of corners is nothing short of impressive. Even in very greasy roads it just goes with no drama. It does understeer a little but being honest I think that is a lot down to the Conti tyres which IMO are rubbish. The understeer can be dialed out it seems by applying the throttle lightly and allowing the Haldex to do its job but its something I need more time to play with. Overall it drives pretty close to a front wheel drive car does (which I think is to be expected bearing in mind that it is pretty much front wheel drive most of the time) with the added bonus of brilliant drive out of the corner.

Interior; Is just a great place to be. Everything is well put together and laid out really nicely. When cruising it is very quiet too....until I turn up the B&O which is a very impressive system.

MMI; Takes a bit of getting used to but is actually very clever. Even little touches like setting interior light brightness can be made with it. Also the fact that you can set it up so that you can control everything through the screen between the speedo and rev counter makes it very easy to use on the move. Only downside I have found is that it doesn't recognise my ipod classic (which has 60gb or more on it) but with a decent sized SD card it won't be too big of a problem.

Overall it's a very good car. I wouldn't say its a 10 tenths car but with the correct tyres it will be a good 9 tenths car. There isn't anything that it doesn't do VERY well at the same time as being a good looking car which is a pleasure to be behind the wheel of. Safe to say i have a massive grin on my face and I think it will only get bigger as I get to know the car better :)

Reactions: Lmg, bleedsoff, rams_s3 and 2 others
Can we get some more owner feedback ?
Any niggles, any warranty issues yet in the S3 8V ?

Mine's going back to Audi in a couple of weeks for a couple of things;
1. Start/stop not worked since day 1 so I think there's a fault.
2. Both doors rattling, not sure if something in the door is loose or the window but it's really ****** annoying!

Mmmmmmmm, that's not god at al. Hopefully.y an isolated incident.

Ours must be reliable being so far from home most of the time (alps)....

Will be pig sick if ours develops any faults as it's a pain in the hoop getting warranty resolved outside the UK..

I can only assume it's a fault on the start/stop as it just comes up on the dash with an A with an arrow through it like it won't cut in. I've tried turning everything off so best to let them look at it.
The rattle is definitely something loose and happens when I hit a bump. I thought it was just because the roads are especially bumpy where I live but going to the autosport show on Friday it was doing the same when I hit a bump on the motorway. Guess it's just one of those things.
On the plus side it's going to Miltek in a couple of weeks and getting a full turbo back exhaust. They've done a new golf gti and it gave it +22 bhp just for the exhaust and no tuning. Pretty good results.

Reactions: d8ean, J6YAK, Johnnyb and 2 others
Start stop is a pita. In our experience it works a treat on lower performance engines on A1and A3 but on quicker versions is reluctant to kick in. Not sure I buy the dealers excuses!

Right I collected ours yesterday from Kings Lynn Audi so here are my thoughts.

The car is absolutely brilliant. I'll expand on this....

Exterior:

The car looks fantastic from every angle. Really pleased with the spec I went for (S3 wheels, brilliant black and black styling pack) and my initial thoughts that I'd be snapping mad at myself for forgetting to spec tints has disappeared, it actually looks better without in my opinion. I arrived at the dealer and they had done as I asked and not made a massive fanfare of the handover. It was sat inside the showroom with a rope around it but there were no silly 'This is your new car Mr Johnston' signs or any sheets over the thing!

My only criticism, which I suppose isn't a criticism as such as I know they have to have them a certain way for the mass market, but the stance is typical Audi. The wheels sit way too far inside the arches and the arch gap is too big. A nice 20mm drop on H&R springs along with our RaceMax track widening kit will sort this out later this week.

Interior:

Absolutely awesome, I cannot fault it in any single way. The steering wheel is brilliant, seat comfortable and supportive (standard black leathers) and the Bang & Olufsen stereo is light years ahead of anything I have heard in any car ever. I have yet to hear a single rattle. I don't need to say anymore on this as its just superb.

Performance:

Initially I was a little uninspired by the pull of it. yes it is quick but its all too easy. That is a good thing for me as we are obviously going to tune the car quite extensively so its good to see at 300bhp it isn't anywhere close to being phased. Now the car has 350 miles on the clock it seems to have loosened up a touch and I'm more impressed. The in gear acceleration is great, the best way I can describe the straight line speed is it feels very, very similar to when we do a stage 1 Shark Performance map on an S3 8P so that isn't a bad starting point at all :)

Before anyone asks about running the car in, I am a great believer that you can be too easy on a brand new cars motor. They are bench run in and I think once you get to 100 miles to make sure all is running as it should you are good to push on. Don't get me wrong it hasn't been absolutely hammered but it has been driven as was intended for a 300bhp hatch. Looking after the clutch by avoiding launches and avoiding hammering the brakes is in my opinion far more important.

Handling:

I'm surprised at how different it feels to the 8P here. The 8P feels heavy and cumbersome at times but this feels really light and nimble. The steering is a little vague yes but is this such a bad thing. We have a Clio 197 which is absolutely brilliant to drive when you're in the mood to go a bit mad but driving it to the shops can be a little frustrating as it seems to just want to be chucked everywhere at pace. I have found myself actually wanting to just drive the S3 at a slower pace and enjoy the creature comforts it has, then when the road opens up away you go. It was never designed as an all out performance car.

Basically I think as a daily driver it is absolutely perfectly setup with a nice ride and light steering. I have yet to have it understeer and its been wet here and I have pushed it a little to the point where I think if it was an issue I'd have had it sliding by now.

Hopefully that helps some you guys waiting for yours. Any questions you may have just fire away. I'll be posting pics tomorrow when it has been cleaned!

Reactions: Ecosphere, Lmg, bleedsoff and 4 others
Thanks for these reports guys. Reading everyone with interrest. Mine will be at Port on 17 january (that is coming Friday). If all goes well I will have my car before month end. Reading these reports does not make the wait easieer ........

Mine's going back to Audi in a couple of weeks for a couple of things;

2. Both doors rattling, not sure if something in the door is loose or the window but it's really ****** annoying!

My drivers door is doing the same. Only on bigger bumps and I can sometimes hear it when changing direction quickly. Sounds like the wiring inside the door is loose :(

My drivers door is doing the same. Only on bigger bumps and I can sometimes hear it when changing direction quickly. Sounds like the wiring inside the door is loose :(

That was a problem with early A5s with B&O easy cure I believe.

Reactions: thedooker
It's like a thud sound but rattles through the door, I thought it was the seatbelt at first but it's definitely something in the door. Funnily enough I've got B&O.

Reactions: thedooker
So that's me 1000 miles in now so thought I'd give a little feedback so here goes..........

INTERIOR.........
I'm very pleased with the interior with regards to quality and feel, very well made and nice materials used, heater controls have a very nice feel to them and look real good. Supersport Seats are amazing!! They look fantastic and are very comfy.
The optional Audi Sound system is very good and sounds better than my previous cars Bose systems, well worth the small price of £250
MMI is easy to use and there are so much settings to fiddle with to make the set up to your liking, great system.
Interior Light pack is another must have as the LED's are far superior than normal bulbs.

EXTERIOR.......
Estoril paint is amazing especially in the sun, so glad I stuck with it. Loving the silver rails as a contrast to Estoril.
S3 alloys are nice although a little small!!.
Overall I like the look of the SB especially the back end with the quad pipes. Also the rear lights are a nice shape (better than the 3dr) and very bright.
LED headlights are very good, awesome white light and very bright, corner lights are very good at their job and light up the corners very well, another worthwhile option.

ENGINE.....

This new engine is so far very nice, very smooth power delivery and quiet. Seems to heat up to working temp really quickly which is a good thing for economy and also means you can get your foot down safely in no time at all.
At first it seemed somewhat underwhelming but as the miles clocked up so did my smile, it just keeps getting better and better, mid range torque is awesome!! Just keeps pulling and pulling, I'm loving 3rd gear just now and the exhaust note is very nice on full coal yet quiet when just cruising.

HANDLING........

So far I've not really pushed it into any corners so can't comment on the whole under steer thing everyone is moaning about but what I will say is that it is a very good ride, firm enough to be sporty with not much body roll, yet soaks up the bumps with ease and feels very planted on the road. I generally have it on Dynamic setting most of the time and like the weight of the steering on this setting, I feel it is too light on other settings.

The only bad points so far is the drivers door is rattling which is annoying, it's a known problem so should get fixed no problem.
Not sure if its just me or not but seems to be a bit crunchy going from 1st to 2nd (Manual Box) maybe needs adjusting. I plan to get it booked in soon to get things looked at.
And the stupid warning sign on the passengers sun visor.....Really!! Audi is there any need for it to be on both sides!!

Basically I'm loving the damn thing and its everything I was expecting and more!! so anyone still waiting for theirs ....your gona love it!!

Reactions: ChrisCY, Scotty2011, 0B1001001 and 4 others
Thanks for the feedback. Re the sunvisor, I'm wondering if we could order a LHD drivers side sunvisor to replace it??

Great feedback, similar spec to mine too (build, damn you!!).

What MPG are you seeing now? Just wondering how it compares to the claimed MPG.

Itguy,
There are some posts on here somewhere about the LHD visor but I've not seen any progress on it. Have to search that one out

OB1,
I'm currently sitting at avg 26mpg over 1000mls but as it's loosening off I'm roasting it a bit more so this will soon take a dive. Normal driving to work and back is about 28-32

Lecht,
The seats look amazing and finish off the interior for me, I found the standard seats in the demo car quite firm but these are soooo comfy, long distance I normally get a sore back but not now due to the electric lumbar I could drive all day now.
As for the LED lights I can't say much more really. Without a doubt the best headlights I've had and an improvement over Xenons. I think they do much more but as I haven't got tech pack or nav I can't comment on their other features, you should see them doing much more with your spec

Reactions: the_lecht_rocks and 0B1001001
I'm not going to bother with the best features, everyone else seems to have covered those very well...

I don't like start/stop... If you are in the habit of sitting at a junction with your foot on the break waiting for a gap in the traffic, it turns the ****** engine off!
Also when going to reverse into a parking space, it sometimes kill the engine just before you get it into reverse. Seems a bit too keen for my liking.
I would like to be able to switch it off by default.

In "economy" mode, my car does less mpg than in auto or even dynamic. Over the 500 miles the car has done now it is averaging 27mpg.

I'm still not used to the s-tronic...
Tip of the day, when you use the paddles and your brain is in gear-change mode, don't let your right foot automatically lift off the throttle, it makes for a *really* uncomfortable ride!

I've had a few niggles where the car refused to let off the handbrake when reversing and I had to do it manually.

Reversing view on the MMI should be activated by default.

Although it will control the music on my HTC Wildfire, I can't get any sound to play through the car.

If you leave the windscreen wipers in the on position when you turn the car off they don't work when you turn it back on again, you have to move the lever to off and then on again.

Why isn't there an option to leave the MMI closed? I really don't need to see the range of radio stations all the time, I never change it!

You can close the mmi there's a button on the dash next to the drive select button.

You can close the mmi there's a button on the dash next to the drive select button.

Thanks, I realise you can close it but it would be nice for it to remember if you closed it and not open it again the next time you started the car instead of making you close it every time.

re the auto wipers, they all seem to do that (you have to re-set when you start the car). Re DSG change in manual mode - my S4 is the same, keeping the gas on for up change is smoother. A lot of the tech seems to go back to default when you switch off (drive select in the S4 back to Auto) so you get into the habit of starting the car, pressing a few buttons (drive select, wipers etc) before setting off. Would be nice to have a save all setting option on the MMI.

I notice with deg that in auto mode if you lift slightly after flooring it,it will change up a gear. Not sure if the 6 speed does the same (e.g.sprint from the lights and then settle down for the cruise).

I think you should be able to set the reverse view via MMI (again on the S4 you can switch on-off). I assume the behaviour will be the same in the S3.

So that's me 1000 miles in now so thought I'd give a little feedback so here goes..........

The only bad points so far is the drivers door is rattling which is annoying, it's a known problem so should get fixed no problem.
Not sure if its just me or not but seems to be a bit crunchy going from 1st to 2nd (Manual Box) maybe needs adjusting. I plan to get it booked in soon to get things looked at.
And the stupid warning sign on the passengers sun visor.....Really!! Audi is there any need for it to be on both sides!!

Basically I'm loving the damn thing and its everything I was expecting and more!! so anyone still waiting for theirs ....your gona love it!!

Good luck getting the door fixed at Aberdeen Audi. They have been useless with me so far. Didn't even bother with my passenger side despite it veing on the job card :(

My gearbox was the same at first but after 1500 miles (a fair bit of town driving) it is getting better. Might just be made a bit too tight!!

Those stickers or whatever they are cheapen the feel of the car. My drivers side doesn't have one on the outside so i might order a lhd visor from germany and see if i can put it in place of my crappy one.

My old TTRS would break traction if I tried to nail it on full lock. There's very few cars I can think of that wouldn't. If you pull a stunt like that, what do you expect! Simple physics... a bit like the moron I work with who stacked his s tronic TT by using the launch control as he pulled out of a garage - he ended up sideways and into an oncoming car. Ouch. Whilst on the subject, my new Cayman S is rear wheel drive, runs on summer tyres and on a wet back road, I'll happily take the pepsi challenge with any 4wd hot hatch :racer:

launch control out of a garage...hahahahahahaha

Reactions: RYuill
I'm not going to bother with the best features, everyone else seems to have covered those very well...

I don't like start/stop... If you are in the habit of sitting at a junction with your foot on the break waiting for a gap in the traffic, it turns the ****** engine off!
Also when going to reverse into a parking space, it sometimes kill the engine just before you get it into reverse. Seems a bit too keen for my liking.
I would like to be able to switch it off by default.

In "economy" mode, my car does less mpg than in auto or even dynamic. Over the 500 miles the car has done now it is averaging 27mpg.

I'm still not used to the s-tronic...
Tip of the day, when you use the paddles and your brain is in gear-change mode, don't let your right foot automatically lift off the throttle, it makes for a *really* uncomfortable ride!

I've had a few niggles where the car refused to let off the handbrake when reversing and I had to do it manually.

Reversing view on the MMI should be activated by default.

Although it will control the music on my HTC Wildfire, I can't get any sound to play through the car.

If you leave the windscreen wipers in the on position when you turn the car off they don't work when you turn it back on again, you have to move the lever to off and then on again.
Why isn't there an option to leave the MMI closed? I really don't need to see the range of radio stations all the time, I never change it!

lol, even my 11 year old Peugeot is better than that - I leave the stalk in the on poisttion but just pull the lever towards me to activate them...turning it off then on is a bit archaic

...Reversing view on the MMI should be activated by default.
...I think you should be able to set the reverse view via MMI (again on the S4 you can switch on-off). I assume the behaviour will be the same in the S3.

Quick question.

Are you saying that the image from the reversing camera doesn't show up on the MMI screen automatically, when you select reverse gear. I'd have to push a button each time? Or that you need to adjust the settings via the MMI, then the car remembers your preference.

Or have I misunderstood completely?

Thanks.

Whippet. The camera picture should show automatically when you select reverse. If not I assume there is a setting in the mmi to make it happen.

Good luck getting the door fixed at Aberdeen Audi. They have been useless with me so far. Didn't even bother with my passenger side despite it veing on the job card :(

My gearbox was the same at first but after 1500 miles (a fair bit of town driving) it is getting better. Might just be made a bit too tight!!

Those stickers or whatever they are cheapen the feel of the car. My drivers side doesn't have one on the outside so i might order a lhd visor from germany and see if i can put it in place of my crappy one.

Did you get the door rattle fixed in the end Dooker?

I'm hoping the gearbox gets better but my TT was the same and I didn't bother getting it looked at but I'm not putting up with it in this car! Not sure if its the same box or a different one?

As for the stickers I agree it cheapens the look of the car and as I drive with the visors down all the time it looks s**t from outside, I must look into who was talking about getting one on here and follow it up. I seem to remember it was about £70