Feedback from ABS in S4 ?!

gorlor

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm still in my first 2 weeks of being an S4 owner. It's a 2000 (W) model. No performance enhancements. I'm very pleased with it - better than expected. Great to drive. :)

Anyway...

Yesterday I had to do an emergency stop from about 60 mph. A van pulled out in front of me with no indicator or other warning. I applied the brake as hard as I could.

The car stopped in time... phew! :) And I was happy with the stopping distance and control, given the initial speed.

However, I didn't get much "kick back" feedback from the brake pedal due to the ABS kicking in?! I did skid slightly while stopping though. Maybe this is all fine. I'm just curious as my last car (an A3) produced a very noticable feedback from the ABS, through the brake pedal.

Anyone else comment of their own experience of ABS?

thanks

Gordon

Mine hammers like a road-drill in the dry just pulling up for stops which in other cars I've driven cause no fuss at all.
So far replacing the disks and pads haven't improved matters any - Wayside (my Audi dealer) say they don't see/can't find any problems.
I nearly concussed myself on the windscreen when I took it in for a service recently. They gave me a new A4 as a courtesy car and the first application of the brakes stopped the thing dead in about a 1/3rd of the distance the S4 takes and without the ABS cutting in. (Go figure!)

[ QUOTE ]
Kraken said:
Mine hammers like a road-drill in the dry just pulling up for stops which in other cars I've driven cause no fuss at all.
So far replacing the disks and pads haven't improved matters any - Wayside (my Audi dealer) say they don't see/can't find any problems.
I nearly concussed myself on the windscreen when I took it in for a service recently. They gave me a new A4 as a courtesy car and the first application of the brakes stopped the thing dead in about a 1/3rd of the distance the S4 takes and without the ABS cutting in. (Go figure!)

[/ QUOTE ]

The new A4 brakes are intelligent... It senses how fast you press the brakes ie.. if you hit them wuite quickly (not necessarily hard) it thinks there is an emergency.. so assists in nearly throwing you through the windscreen.

Not that i've helped this post in any wasy by adding this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rich