FBMFSW

Reaction score
Hi all Im thinking of getting a flat bottom steering wheel for my a3, Ive seen an rs6 one and it has the dsg paddles, can these be removed without any other wiring mods required and will the wheel fit my 2006 a3 manual without mods to the car?

It depends on which steering ecu and slipring is fitted to your car. If your car currently has a multifunction steering wheel then i think you are good to go, otherwise you may be looking at new steering ecu, slipring and some coding aswell to get it working properly.

I'm not sure about removing the DSG paddles though sorry mate

Yes have wheel and airbag mate, so presumably u can swap it over and it will be fine just with paddles that do nothing
P.s.already have mfsw

Got my steering wheel today and I love the look of it, however the blanking caps for the airbag screws on the back of the wheel are missing, how can I get a replacement set? Its a 2009 RS6 FBMFSW.

The blanking caps are not available from Audi. They only come with the wheel. It is the same with all wheels.

The only thing you can do is ask the seller for them or see if you can find a scrappy.

Or buy another !!!lol

I have looked at my current wheel and the blanks have a part number on them, can anyone with an rs6 wheel see what numbers are on theirs please.

Sorry Foxy - just to make myself clear - the blanks have part numbers on them but if you consult ETKA (the VAG electronic parts program ) I think you will find that it says something like ' not replaceable part '.

Basically they are not sold separately. If they were then I would have bought some for mine !

Mine wasn't a fb wheel just a mfsw.

I waited until I found another and then checked it had the 'bits'.

I still have the wheel without the 'bits' !!

Wished I'd checked now, I'll put it down to experience can't afford to buy another. Will have to sell unless the seller finds them. Thanks for info mike.

You're welcome - I just hope the guy finds them. I can't really understand how you can lose them because the obvious thing to do (to me anyway) is clip them back in after removal !

Tell me about it I would clip them in too, ain't holding my breath on getting them.

Ok Ive decided anyone who wants a mint condition 2009 RS6 FBMFSW (dsg) and airbag but no screw blanks pm me an offer. No silly offers please.

How about selling just the airbag?

will it fit an S3 FBMSW

Just use the caps of your other steering wheel, that is what i did

I think he might have tried that don't you ?

They are all different - ordinary wheel, mfsw, fbmfsw, A3, A4 etc. etc.

A3 mfsw caps are not the same as A4 mfsw caps or fbmfsw !

I thought about that and I think with some alteration they may fit as they are the same width just a little longer, also solved the dsg removal I took the paddles off the wheel and dismantled them and what is left is a cup forming the base of the paddle so I filled with body filler and primed, then painted satin black and I now have two perfect blanking plates.

I cant see the problem with blanking caps...you cant see them on mine anyway ! as for the paddles i would just wire them up to do something useful....ie would make a much better dip switch than the stalk one :)

Hi just a quick update on my wheel, done the blanking of the paddle mod so I now have an RS6 wheel for a manual, the seller has sourced some blanks for the airbag screws so will get them shortly anyway here is a few pics will update when fitted.
DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

Hi all, tried to fit my wheel tonight and to my dissapointment the plug which goes into the slip ring does not fit, the original one has an orange release catch and the new one is purple and a slightly different shape, from a distance they appear to be the same. Is there a way I can get this to fit, thought about trying loom off other airbag but have been put off with the horn problem others have had and the fact that the spade connectors are a different size on each airbag assembly. Please can anyone help.

Sorry about that Foxy - but I did advise you of the possible problem. See my post #6

I'm afraid the wheel and airbag you have seem to require a different steering module and slip ring. Or a different airbag.
I am not able to advise what you could do but it sounds like you will need to get an airbag from an A3 fbmfsw together with wiring loom and hope that it fits the wheel you have.

Unfortunately Audi have a happy knack of making each car just that bit different so that, although bits may physically fit, the electronic connections do not allow standard operation across models.

Sorry !

can i just change the airbag loom to an A3 FBMFSW one which will fit the airbag and my slip ring, as the TT one ive seen one ebay looks identical to what I need

I thought the airbags were the same as each other but in different carcasses to suit the range of steering wheels.

Would changing the loom to an A3 FBMFSW one work, I can only think the one with the wheel doesnt because it was for a dsg RS6 and mine is a manual. Any help would be great, thanks for taking time to reply.

I think this project has become somewhat complicated and any sort of compromise or adaptation from original design parameters for airbags can be dangerous. If you try and fit something not designed for your car there is always the danger of the airbag not going off when needed ! Also the airbag control module on your car may not be the same as the RS6.

Can I suggest that you contact Dave at Stoke Audi (sponsors of this forum) and give him details of the wheel and airbag and let him advise you as to whether a TT wiring loom will work properly. He will also be able to advise whether the airbag will work ok with your car.

The wiring loom is only £20 - £25 from Audi so it is better to get it from them.

I'm sorry I can't help any further but it would not be right to speculate about such an important safety element.

Good luck !

I appreciate the advise mike will contact them and see if they can help. Im curious to how others have got RS6 wheels to work on A3's, anyway many thanks for the help mate

I bought my car brand new with MFSW, the minute I drove home from the garage (about 15 miles on the clock) I swapped it Matt Andrew as I bought a brand new FBMFSW from German ebay! Dec 2007 it cost me £340 delivered!

He bought a loom for me, not quite sure what it was, then I've had 2 more wheels since then and they've both been fine!

Hi all just an update and picture, had to go to Audi to get a TT/A3 airbag loom 8J0 971 589 B and swap it with the RS6 one, turns out the airbag part number matches the FBSW airbag others had fitted so all works perfectly no errors, got esp light after wheel change which dissappeared after driving 100 yards. Well happy with wheel so here is a picture. P.S. will run a VCDS scan when laptop is charged to make sure all is well.

DSC_0054.jpg

Last edited:
I would like to thank all who posted advise and help on this thread, much appreciated.