Faulty Fuel level

1oldaudi

Reaction score
Well it’s been at least 3 weeks since my last fault so I knew I was over due at least one new fault.

Car was telling me to refuel. I put 30 litres in and it’s still showing the pre fuel level of 50miles. Locked unlocked. Started turned off. Locked unlocked. Still says 50 2 days later. So it’s not even subtracted the miles I’ve done since it first alerted me that I had 50 miles left.

Anyway to reset this or a trip to the dealers?

****** stupid thing. Volvo next for me. My xc90 is brilliant and I’m specing a v60. Had an absolute ball ache with this

Last edited:
I've had this once. Just setting off for a long journey on motorway. After about an hour it slowly increased as I was driving

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It is linked to fuel remaining and driving conditions, but mine has always recalculated as soon as I drive off from the petrol station...

Has the level shown on the fuel gauge moved at all?

As an aside I am not particularly fond of the gauge as the graduations are so large that it's impossible to tell how genuinely near to running out you are

Reactions: WesT-gefül
It is a clue, but didn't Jeremy Clarkson drive quite some distance with range at on zero in an A6 a while back?

Thanks all. The fuel gauge hasn’t moved. Still on the red part and I still have the warnings tell me to refuel and the MMI trying to navigate me to the nearest petrol station. I’m tempted to go out later and put another £10 in and see if that resets it some how. Again not the end of the world just frustrating and with my OCD I need to have everything perfect because I start worrying!!! But I’m on tablets for that!!

It's possible that there is a fault with the sensor in the fuel tank rather than being a software issue so I would get looked at...

The first A4 I test drove did exactly this. Put £20 in when it was in the red and it didn't change the actual fuel level on the gauge. Then it started flashing at me, despite there being at least 20 litres of fuel in the tank. Eventually I just filled it all the way and that sorted it...

When 0 miles are remaining might be a clue ;-)
My last A4 could do around 25 miles from "0" and I actually got in the habit of setting the trip meter to zero when the range said "0" and still not bother filling up until I'd done another 20 miles or so! I've not tried it with the new car though, mainly because I can't find the plastic petrol can thing:worried: