Faulty Bonnet/Hood Sensor

chris424uk

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've got a constant oil warning on my dash "Top up oil - 1L" and apparently this is a common fault with the Audi A5 (2009 coupe TFSI 2.0 quattro), that the oil is only re-checked when the hood/bonnet is closed. However, even though I have plenty of oil in my car the warning won't go away. On my dash, when I open the bonnet, it doesn't register on my dash as being open.

I've tried a few things and running out of ideas;
- Tried using a paperclip to short the sensor connection into thinking the bonnet was open.
- Tried taking the micro-switch out and cleaning with WD40 around the mechanism/lock and switch.

I don't think it needs a whole new lock/mechanism, perhaps just a new micro-switch. But I'm worried that won't work since the paperclip isn't making the system register that the bonnet is open. I've heard the dealers charge £300+ for labour and parts, when in reality I've got a dipstick and know there's oil in the car but ideally I want to sell the car and can't afford another £300+ (already spent £2,000 with a new airbag control module, window regulator, tyres, suspension, etc.)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated? I'm not great with mechanics but can do basic stuff!

Thanks,
Chris