Fault Code: P3073 & P310b

wyliss

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm assuming this is fuel related.
Has anybody got experience of the above?
Cheers

Fuel Pump Circuit: Electrical Malfunction P3073
Low fuel pressure p310b

Reactions: wyliss
Do you have any MIL on?

How is she when she starts?

I have had it come up before I replaced my fuel pressure sensor and fuel pump and resolved the issue.

Might not always be the case of the above.

Might be the fuse. As it is the cheaper option.

I assume you did not let the tank run very low or dry.

Thing with these cars it is strongly recommended that the fuel does not go lower than a 1/8th as it puts alot of strain on the fuel pump, as the fuel is the only form of lubrication for the pump. So essentially starves the pump.

P3073/012403 - Ross-Tech Wiki

P310B/012555 - Ross-Tech Wiki

Some information for you to read if you havent already.

Where is the fuel pump on a FWD B7? I've searched for it briefly and to no avail.
Many thanks

Where is the fuel pump on a FWD B7? I've searched for it briefly and to no avail.
Many thanks

Main one is under the rear seat under a black cover with 3 or 4 screws. Looks like below.

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss305/mad70sx/fuel line repair July 27th 2009/IMG_3367.jpg

And there is another at the back of the engine which is the High pressure fuel pump which has 2 leads connected to it.

Then the fuel filter just out of interest is infront of your rear driver side wheel under a black plastic cover held by 3 or 4 screw/bolts

Puzzled now. I lifted the seats up and one of the black covers had a wire going to it. I unscrewed that but couldn't see the filter, I was in a rush so will look tomorrow.
My main query is the fact of which fuel pump to replace??? I was unaware there was two!
Cheers

Did you open the one behind the drivers side or passenger side? As there should be 2 if I recall. I have attached a link below to see as a reference.

As to which one to replace is a difficult choice. But there is a diagnosis.

Way to diagnose it is if it is the main pump disconnect the drivers side pump and see if the car starts and runs for 10-20sec is your main pump. If in doubt plug back the pump and unplug the passenger side unit the car will not start at all.

When last did you replace the fuel filter? Also when you open the door do you hear the pump engage? And when the car goes to ignition do you hear the whine from the rear that the pump is working?

P310B/012555 - Low Pressure Fuel regulation: Fuel Pressure Outside Specification

States that the wiring for the Fuel Pressure sensor or the Sensor itself is fault which is (G410)

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...g-low-pressure-fuel-pressure-sensor-g410.html

If you have had anything like the above post then you on a easy streak, because it will just be a matter of changing the sensor. Which is the one mounted at the rear of the engine. On the hi flow fuel pump. http://www.theyeoj.com/audi/guides/camfollower.pdf

That last link if you scroll through it. On page 2 you will see items numbered refer to "No 6" That is the sensor.

P3073/012403 - Fuel Pump Circuit Electrical Malfunction

They saying the Transfer Fuel pump (G6) or Fuel Pump Control Module (J538) Faulty

G6 - Now this refers to the "Intank Fuel Pump" DIY: Fuel Pump Control Module

J538 - Is the control module for the fuel pump. http://www.audi-portal.com/pic/all/A20-10085.jpg

Dont quote me on this but by the sounds of things worse case you have 3 parts to replace.

Thou take special attention to the link quoted in the same line as the "G6 Intank fuel pump" that will show you exactly the pump and unit etc.

Hope it helps

Hi Gio
Thanks for the info, it is very much appreciated. The car has 84k on it and the fuel filter has never been changed. I also put some Forte cleaner in the fuel tank about 2 months ago. The filter definitely needs changing and will be but I'm also thinking if The Forte has dislodged some rubbish in the tank then that maybe the problem.
Dilema.

Fuel filter should be done every 18k miles if my memory serves me correctly.

I cant say for sure that the product you used caused the issue.

I can say if you want to avoid this issue rather than using a cleaner or additive just try run Vpower Nitro + as often as possible it is more than sufficient consider it does ask for 98ron in the fuel cap.:rolleyes:

It really is a simple job to do the filter literally just 3 clips on the fuel filter and abit of petrol spilt on your hands and drive and job done.

Some part numbers for you:

4F0201511E - Fuel Filter around £17 for Audi part
06E906051K - Low Pressure Fuel Sensor

And remember

"If you want the power you must feed the horses"

Tried starting the car this morning and it ran for 3 secs then cut out. Would that point to fuel pump in rear of car or the high pressure fuel pump in the engine?
Cheers for your help on this, it's very much appreciated.

UPDATE: Got the car running properly at lunch time first go, puzzled.
I'm going to replace the fuel filter as it hasn't had one since new, 8 years ago, and then see how it goes.
I'm wondering if it is this that is causing the problem?

I'm going to replace the fuel filter as it hasn't had one since new, 8 years ago, and then see how it goes.

Jaysus, get that changed Man.....should have been done yonks ago!

Cheers
A

I cant say for sure that the fuel filter is/was the issue. But its defenitly something that should have been changed as part of the regular maintenance considering it isnt expensive anyway. Even if it is not the issue. At least it will be done. And will be good for another 20k miles.

Could fit the filter and clear the codes and see if anything returns.

I cant say for sure that the fuel filter is/was the issue. But its defenitly something that should have been changed as part of the regular maintenance considering it isnt expensive anyway. Even if it is not the issue. At least it will be done. And will be good for another 20k miles.

Could fit the filter and clear the codes and see if anything returns.

Fuel filter is getting changed tomorrow. Tried to start her before and no go. Thew only code that came up was P3073.

Ok. Fuel filter changed and I've had the fuel pump out for inspection, still no joy. Any help appreciated.

When it doesnt start can you hear the pump under the seat run for a few seconds as it pressurises the sysem?

No we can't hear a thing from it. I'm trying to workout if it's the pump or module. The code that comes up is just P3073.
Cheers bud

Try changing the fuel pump control module bud, the code comes up as "P3073/012403 - Fuel Pump Circuit Electrical Malfunction" failing that check fuses and wiring to pump

Will do bud, thanks for the reply. The 20A fuse is fine and we took the pump out yesterday and all looked fine too.
I will do low cost alternative first, the module, I can get one second hand for £20.
Cheers

The lift pumps can get dead areas on the commutators in the motor so sometimes they work sometimes they dont.

The lift pumps can get dead areas on the commutators in the motor so sometimes they work sometimes they dont.

Only time I have had fuel pump issues on a VAG car in the last 15 years it was the fuel pump relay. It's usually number 167, not looked on the B7 but would imagine it's somewhere under the dash near the CCM.

Only time I have had fuel pump issues on a VAG car in the last 15 years it was the fuel pump relay. It's usually number 167, not looked on the B7 but would imagine it's somewhere under the dash near the CCM.
Cheers guys for all the posts.
Cyrix: When I turn the ignition I hear something engaging in the engine. Would that be because the relay is activating therefore eliminating it?
TIA

IT'S FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was the fuel control module!
Thanks so much to all who helped with diagnosis!
It is very much appreciated.