Fault code 778 - Steering Angle Sensor?

stiscooby

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an 2006 A3 2.0 TFSI which occasionally has the ESP and steering wheel light display on the dash when cornering. When this happens power steering still works but when you let go of the wheel, rather than it slowly rotating back to centre it just stays where it is.

If the car is then turned off/back on again the lights go out.

I have today had the car MOT'd so while at a local garage (not an Audi stealer) they checked the fault code and it is reporting code 778 - steering angle sensor. I was told they checked this with the Audi stealer who confirmed the fault code is correct and will mean a new steering rack is needed as the sensor is built in - at a cost of £800 just for parts! :(

I have been searching on line but can't really find too much about it. Does anyone know if a new rack is required or could it be something else? Some things I have found seem to report the sensor is behind the steering wheel itself??

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

IF you have vcds you can recalibrate the steering angle sensor,also make sure wheel alignment is ok first,if not then YES the sensor is built in,the light will be yellow,if it go's red then you wont have any power steering at all......id live with it then find a rack or ask someone who will refurb your one,maybe cheaper get them replace sensor?

Reactions: JDP