Fault Code - 18354

jb0o

Reaction score
Website
jonathan-butler.co.uk
Hi,

I met up with Andy_S3 today to hook up my 2004 Audi A3 1.6 FSI to VCDS and get it scanned as I was experiencing limp-mode sometimes when I went over 4k revs in 1st gear.

The initial scan showed no faults at all.. I then ragged it to try and force the limp to happen, which it didn't, we then scanned again and fault code 18354 kicked up, which is the Coolant Fan - Deffective. However I cant find that code on the Ross Tech Wiki page.. can anyone shed any more light on this?

I also found this page whilst searching for the code.. http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=62738&highlight=18354

He has exactly the same car as mine and the same fault is coming up...

Note: My car is having no problems with the temperature of the engine and is constantly around the 90degrees mark with no change.

Thanks for any input, and again thanks to Andy for helping me out. :icon_thumright:

Different type of fault to yours but.... my car was also producing a fault code which I couldn't find in ross-tech's wiki. I cleared the fault, gave it a couple of days, rescanned, and it threw up a different code relating to the same kind of problem, and this new code was on their site.

Thanks mate, might be worth while trying that.

Have been thinking about it and because I thrashed it to try and force the limp-mode, maybe it just flipped out? I never take the car above 4k revs so the car wouldn't be used to such a punishment and maybe got confused?

Possible fault with the fan unit tbh as its related to this, maybe water in the module, is it on a wet day only given location of the fan unit, the control module is built into the unit, you could try swapping the unit out for an ebay or scrappy one to see if fault is still happening.

What version vagcom was he using out of interest, limp mode usually throws a code to give some possible reason for the problem.

That was the strange thing, limp mode happened twice yet when the car was scanned no faults at all appeared - even on the first scan as the car had recently been serviced.

Speaking of wetness, it was on Sunday morning which was absoloutly chucking it down.

Not sure what version.. though I'm getting it checked again soon and I'll post to see if the faults still there.

Thanks for the help chaps

Hi all the software used was fully registered up to date with an official cable. Did seem strange to me that no fault appeared on the first scan, and yet one appeared straight after the first scan - especially as I was expecting to see 'obsolete' faults that had occured over the years that hadnt been cleared.

Hi all the software used was fully registered up to date with an official cable. Did seem strange to me that no fault appeared on the first scan, and yet one appeared straight after the first scan - especially as I was expecting to see 'obsolete' faults that had occured over the years that hadnt been cleared.

Yeah, you mentioned that before you scanned it and the only thing I can think of is that the car was recently serviced at Audi and that all the faults were cleared.

I've been hammering it a bit more now and still no limp-mode.... guess its jus decided to stop... fingers crossed!

My fans don't run at all even with the air con on and this same fault code comes up......Did you manage to solve your problem? jb0o ?

Hi NHN i am a bit confused about your diagnoses of a 2.0 a3 cobe bkd saying that the vanes on the turbo where sticking if that was the case wuold the boost not be negative??

I havent man, I just let the fans go crazy haha. Should get it done as it sounds like an aeroplane...

sorted it out.....had to replace both fans.....£240

Hi NHN i am a bit confused about your diagnoses of a 2.0 a3 cobe bkd saying that the vanes on the turbo where sticking if that was the case wuold the boost not be negative??

Havnt got a clue wtf you're on about!!