Fastest Stock Turbo 8P S3 Quarter (1/4) Mile?

114mph

Reaction score
What's the quarter mile record for a stock turbo 8P S3 at the moment?

Is high 11s possible at all with the K04?

In a word...No.

The base S3 weighs 1500kg and has around 260bhp,which is around 180bhp/tonne.

A Stg2+ S3 will have around 360-380bhp,or 260bhp/tonne.

To get into the high 11s range you need to be in the 300-320bhp/tonne range.

What 114mph says below also agrees with this sort of figure,as a maxed out K04 will not get beyond 400bhp,or 270bhp/tonne even with a following wind.

Yes agreed (from what I've seen) that 380bhp is probably the limit for a K04, but with the AWD traction + DSG launch control, S3 does have an advantage for quarter mile racing.

IIRC, a stock turbo Golf R has done 11.7 in Australia (I will try and find a link), S3 shouldn't be much slower considering it is basically the same car, even though it is slightly heavier.

Yes agreed (from what I've seen) that 380bhp is probably the limit for a K04, but with the AWD traction + DSG launch control, the S3 does have an advantage for

Trust me...it's not THAT much of an advantage,and if you look at times available on the net,plus 1/4mile calculators and all of that,then you come to the same conclusion.

The best I could find for a K04 S3 was 12.4s,and that was running a pre-turbo methanol system.

That eqauted to around 390bhp.

Trust me...it's not THAT much of an advantage,and if you look at times available on the net,plus 1/4mile calculators and all of that,then you come to the same conclusion.

I understand, on paper it doesn't quite make it, heavy car, small turbo and such. But looking that S3 from Greece, you'd wonder what if it had a bit of weight reduction? Light weight wheels, bucket seats and etc. It's only 1/10th of a second between 12.1 and 11.99...

I understand, on paper it doesn't quite make it, heavy car, small turbo and such. But looking that S3 from Greece, you'd wonder what if it had a bit of weight reduction? Light weight wheels, bucket seats and etc. It's only 1/10th of a second between 12.1 and 11.99...

I honestly don't get too tied up with drag times.

I'm much more interested in a car that can eat up the miles,and not in a turbo that's on the ragged edge.

Reactions: Dean_T and Brodster
I honestly don't get too tied up with drag times.

I'm much more interested in a car that can eat up the miles,and not in a turbo that's on the ragged edge.

Yes, of course. I can understand everyone has different priorities when it comes to what they want in a car. Your GTX30 build has been an inspiration. As for my S3, the goal is to be a reliable daily driver as well as an occasional drag racer.

Reactions: S3Alex
Yes, of course. I can understand everyone has different priorities when it comes to what they want in a car. Your GTX30 build has been an inspiration. As for my S3, the goal is to be a reliable daily driver as well as an occasional drag racer.

I think that if you have that in mind,there are a few things that will help,firstly choosing the right clutch.

The Sachs is a very good all rounder,but is not a good one for drag starts.

I'd say the Loba is a tougher,better one for taking some abuse,but the best of all is going to be something like the Spec Stg3+ that I've got.....I chose it not for the drag runs,but for it being capable of far more torque than the gearbox can take,and derived from US Grand-Am racing.

It's certainly worth a look.

On the engine side,the K04 is god for an absolute ragged edge maximum of around 380-390bhp.....it will not do much more without throwing in the towel somewhere,and the APR GTX2867 kit is probably the best bigger turbo kit for a one stop solution as opposed to something like mine that requires a lot of tinkering with.

The Loba turbo is also well worth a look,for good power without going mad,and both would get you an easy 440bhp,which means not having to rebuild the engine.

Losing some weight from the car is also a good option,if you can do this,and the back seat alone is worth nearly 60kgs.

Overall,the engine is tough and reliable,but the weakspots for what you have in mind are the clutch and gearbox,plus propshaft rubbers(!)

Yes agreed (from what I've seen) that 380bhp is probably the limit for a K04, but with the AWD traction + DSG launch control, S3 does have an advantage for quarter mile racing.

IIRC, a stock turbo Golf R has done 11.7 in Australia (I will try and find a link), S3 shouldn't be much slower considering it is basically the same car, even though it is slightly heavier.

lol thats my indies car hehe.. you dont want to know what he did to achieve that, i think no one would do that on this forum BTW check recode.net.au i think its advertised there

owner is Sebastian @ Euro Automotive :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that if you have that in mind,there are a few things that will help,firstly choosing the right clutch.

The Sachs is a very good all rounder,but is not a good one for drag starts.

I'd say the Loba is a tougher,better one for taking some abuse,but the best of all is going to be something like the Spec Stg3+ that I've got.....I chose it not for the drag runs,but for it being capable of far more torque than the gearbox can take,and derived from US Grand-Am racing.

It's certainly worth a look.

On the engine side,the K04 is god for an absolute ragged edge maximum of around 380-390bhp.....it will not do much more without throwing in the towel somewhere,and the APR GTX2867 kit is probably the best bigger turbo kit for a one stop solution as opposed to something like mine that requires a lot of tinkering with.

The Loba turbo is also well worth a look,for good power without going mad,and both would get you an easy 440bhp,which means not having to rebuild the engine.

Losing some weight from the car is also a good option,if you can do this,and the back seat alone is worth nearly 60kgs.

Overall,the engine is tough and reliable,but the weakspots for what you have in mind are the clutch and gearbox,plus propshaft rubbers(!)

Appreciate all the advice Alex, especially the heads-up on propshaft rubbers. Now that i know of it, I'm sure they will be the first to go! I have been looking at a big turbo option, will most likely go with an internally gated GTX28 just for the simplicity of it. We will see how far I can take the stock turbo first.

lol thats my indies car hehe.. you dont want to know what he did to achieve that, i think no one would do that on this forum BTW check recode.com.au i think its advertised there

owner is Sebastian @ Euro Automotive :D

Let me guess, no exhaust, no rear interior and a bit of race fuel? ;)

Let me guess, no exhaust, no rear interior and a bit of race fuel? ;)

well the cat back was gone, the rear interior was also gone , no race fuel , and a few mods he has done to lighten the car and make it dangerous too.
by the way he pulled it off with a track temp of 32 celsius

944301_599258640092467_1111695089_n.jpg
580258_599255163426148_2111482010_n.jpg

Reactions: voorhees
Appreciate all the advice Alex, especially the heads-up on propshaft rubbers. Now that i know of it, I'm sure they will be the first to go! I have been looking at a big turbo option, will most likely go with an internally gated GTX28 just for the simplicity of it. We will see how far I can take the stock turbo first.

The stock turbo will get you to around 360-380bhp.

That's it just about.

APRs internally gated GTX 2867 is a very good all in one option,as Decked will agree(as he has one),and doesn't involve the sort of lengths I went to,but it won't hit the 500s.

1.6s 60ft:anbet:, didn't think it's possible with a stock turbo. Most I've seen was mid 1.7s. What did he launch it at, 7000rpm?;) What was missing behind the grille?

well the cat back was gone, the rear interior was also gone , no race fuel , and a few mods he has done to lighten the car and make it dangerous too.
by the way he pulled it off with a track temp of 32 celsius

944301_599258640092467_1111695089_n.jpg
580258_599255163426148_2111482010_n.jpg

The stock turbo will get you to around 360-380bhp.

That's it just about.

APRs internally gated GTX 2867 is a very good all in one option,as Decked will agree(as he has one),and doesn't involve the sort of lengths I went to,but it won't hit the 500s.

In Greece they have GTX28 S3/Golf Rs running in the mid 11s, that's tuned TTRS/RS3 territory, I'd be quite happy with that.

hey 114mph well its DSG so he launched it 200rpm below the rev limiter of the launch control , i think next year he is trying to hit the low 11 seconds with it.. its unfortunate that it was hot so the run wasnt as great as it would be .. as for whats missing well a few items of the front and rear but thats as far as ill go

mainly it is a CTS turbo car to be honest all parts sourced from them, he didnt even have an uprated cat back but that wasnt necessary

hey 114mph well its DSG so he launched it 200rpm below the rev limiter of the launch control , i think next year he is trying to hit the low 11 seconds with it.. its unfortunate that it was hot so the run wasnt as great as it would be .. as for whats missing well a few items of the front and rear but thats as far as ill go

mainly it is a CTS turbo car to be honest all parts sourced from them, he didnt even have an uprated cat back but that wasnt necessary

Your indie is a brave man to launch it at that rpm! A very impressive time with that track temp, there should be another 2/10th in a cooler weather. Is he planing to hit low 11s with stock turbo or an upgrade?

Last edited:
Looks like I've found the fastest STOCK TURBO S3 (known so far), from Greece (not surprisingly),

Last edited by a moderator:
Mods list:
-Intake
-Forge BOV
-Forge waste gate
-Autoteh fuel pump
-RS4 injectors
-Custom map
-Custom full exhaust
-AMS intercooler
-WMI
-DSG remap

What standout to me are the RS4 injectors and Forge waste gate. I have not seen anyone using RS4 injectors on a stock turbo S3 before, apparently they do flow a lot more but are very difficult to correctly map. Maybe that's the secret.

Mods list:
-Intake
-Forge BOV
-Forge waste gate
-Autoteh fuel pump
-RS4 injectors
-Custom map
-Custom full exhaust
-AMS intercooler
-WMI
-DSG remap

What standout to me are the RS4 injectors and Forge waste gate. I have not seen anyone using RS4 injectors on a stock turbo S3 before, apparently they do flow a lot more but are very difficult to correctly map. Maybe that's the secret.

I'm not sure I see the point of using RS4 injectors on a car with a K04.

The S3 inejctors are good for a bit over 400bhp,whereas the turbo is pretty much done by that point,and yes,I do know of one person who's wrung 409bhp from a K04,using WMI,big intercooler etc etc,but you really are up against the law of diminishing returns at that point,and the only thing that might stop you from using a bigger turbo,run within it's limts,is cost.

Mapping RS4 injectors to run at lower power levels than on a big turbo car isn't a problem for a good mapper....they have to know flow rates,and air/fuel ratios etc etc,but let's not forget that on a Stg4 car,using RS4 injectors,the car will trundle around town at very low power and thus tiny flow rates and injector opening times,without problems.

Well, that's the thing, why would they use RS4 injectors when S3s are proven to be good for 400bhp? Maybe they know something that we don't? Most items in his mod list are not uncommon for stage 2+ S3 and Golf R, with exception of RS4 injectors and forge waste gate. My guess is that, RS4 injectors somehow allow them to gain power in areas S3 injectors couldn't (in the video they claim the car makes 420bhp!) whilst forge waste gate helps it holding required boost at higher rpm (especially important for drag racing).

I'm not sure I see the point of using RS4 injectors on a car with a K04.

The S3 inejctors are good for a bit over 400bhp,whereas the turbo is pretty much done by that point,and yes,I do know of one person who's wrung 409bhp from a K04,using WMI,big intercooler etc etc,but you really are up against the law of diminishing returns at that point,and the only thing that might stop you from using a bigger turbo,run within it's limts,is cost.

Mapping RS4 injectors to run at lower power levels than on a big turbo car isn't a problem for a good mapper....they have to know flow rates,and air/fuel ratios etc etc,but let's not forget that on a Stg4 car,using RS4 injectors,the car will trundle around town at very low power and thus tiny flow rates and injector opening times,without problems.

Well, that's the thing, why would they use RS4 injectors when S3s are proven to be good for 400bhp? Maybe they know something that we don't? Most items in his mod list are not uncommon for stage 2+ S3 and Golf R, with exception of RS4 injectors and forge waste gate. My guess is that, RS4 injectors somehow allow them to gain power in areas S3 injectors couldn't (in the video they claim the car makes 420bhp!) whilst forge waste gate helps it holding required boost at higher rpm (especially important for drag racing).

That's what I can't quite get.

I don't see the point of trying to do drag runs etc with a K04 run to the ragged bleeding edge of it's map,when a GTX2867 for instance,would do the job much better.

That's what I can't quite get.

I don't see the point of trying to do drag runs etc with a K04 run to the ragged bleeding edge of it's map,when a GTX2867 for instance,would do the job much better.

You could say, whats the point of a 500bhp S3 when a TTRS does it better :ohmy:

You could say, whats the point of a 500bhp S3 when a TTRS does it better :ohmy:

You could.....but it doesn't unless it has the same power....LOL.

I'm just trying to say that ragging a K04 to the edge is maybe OK for a few kudos runs,for the most powerful K04 car etc,but at that sort of level,it won't last,and it's way down on torque etc.

Just sayin'.....

You could.....but it doesn't unless it has the same power....LOL.

I'm just trying to say that ragging a K04 to the edge is maybe OK for a few kudos runs,for the most powerful K04 car etc,but at that sort of level,it won't last,and it's way down on torque etc.

Just sayin'.....

I'm not really disagreeing with you. But a lot of folk do things, just cause

I'm not really disagreeing with you. But a lot of folk do things, just cause

True.....kind of like climbing mountains or whatever the challenge is.

In my case it's always that little bit more,but since the 2.0TFSi benchmark is now at 740bhp I may have to leave that one alone!

True.....kind of like climbing mountains or whatever the challenge is.

In my case it's always that little bit more,but since the 2.0TFSi benchmark is now at 740bhp I may have to leave that one alone!

I think you should go for it. 800bhp, go on

I think you should go for it. 800bhp, go on

I like your style!

Seriously though,I think I'll leave it to the Romanians......those guys are turning out some amazing cars.

An update to this thread.

We now have two 8P S3s in Sydney Australia running mid 11 second 1/4 mile times. Both are DSG with stock turbo using Recode Tuning/Revlimit stage II 105 tunes.

Black S3 - stock turbo and stock intercooler!

White S3 - stock turbo.

Last edited:
This was my car at the weekend, done a 12.092, Stock Turbo, Stock Cooler.. DSG Gearbox, doing some weight reduction for 2 weeks time and hopefully get decent tyres as I have cheap chinese one's at the moment haha! Should see 11's :)

10584093 1511360555766085 5129797897893806677 n

P.S The Dragstrip I go on (Crail Raceway) is a terrible strip, It's basically an old runway with bumps etc haha.. not at all prepared

Reactions: armstrong_21490
Enjoyed your Vids Liam!

I know your get in 11's....... Still amazes me your times for a stage 2+ car Awesome work my friend

Stage 2+ here I come just downpipe and pump needed!

Enjoyed your Vids Liam!

I know your get in 11's....... Still amazes me your times for a stage 2+ car Awesome work my friend

Stage 2+ here I come just downpipe and pump needed!

Stage 2+ will put a big grin on your face buddy! Enjoy :)

We now have what I believe, a new world record 1/4 mile time for Stock Turbo 8P S3, from Sydney Australia.

AUDI S3 (8P) S-Tronic
Recode Tuning/Revlimit Stage II 105WMI Tune
Stock K04 Turbo
Stock S3 Intercooler!
Upgraded Fuel System
Water Meth Injection
3 Inch Exhaust
AS Performance Intake
Enkei PF01 18x8
Yokohama Advan Sport V105

Last edited:
A video of the above run,
[video=youtube;_X5QqoiCwP0]

Oh well.....I eat my words,but not my hat.

Yes,it IS possible to get into the 11's on a stock turbo,but you need an uprated fuel system,WMI,and software set up for both WMI and 105RON fuel,which means timing pushed to the limits,and I would imagine pretty high EGTs into the bargain,which is manageable for drag runs,but not long runs.

Impressive,but the poor old thing is being ragged to death to be fair.

Impressive. Imagine the times with hybrid turbo and stage 3 map.

Impressive. Imagine the times with hybrid turbo and stage 3 map.
Or.....a GTX30 and Stg4. LOL

Point is,I think it's great that people do this sort of thing,but everyone outside of the drag strip has to understand that the setup being used there is purely aimed at short runs.

Reactions: Compkiler
Oh well.....I eat my words,but not my hat.

Yes,it IS possible to get into the 11's on a stock turbo,but you need an uprated fuel system,WMI,and software set up for both WMI and 105RON fuel,which means timing pushed to the limits,and I would imagine pretty high EGTs into the bargain,which is manageable for drag runs,but not long runs.

Impressive,but the poor old thing is being ragged to death to be fair.

Thanks Alex. We ran this exact setup (105 fuel) on the dyno, everything is actually still within safe limits, ignition timing, afr, egt, etc. No knock throughout the rev range. The key here is water methanol injection. It really does magic in keeping the heat down.

On the point of this setup being used only for short runs. Well, it's a yes and no. Yes, we wouldn't run this 105wmi file for circuit racing or street driving but only because the high cost of 105 fuel making it unrealistic for such purposes. But we have tested a regular stage 2 WMI 98RON file, the car was able to pull back to back 11.7 second 1/4 mile times, on the same street tyres (yokohama advan sport). So it proves that, with the right tune and hardware you can have a daily driving sub-12 second stock turbo S3 (or Golf R for that matter).