Farewell

Monsoon

Reaction score
Hello all

After 9 years of ownership, I sold the Audi (2.0 FSi auto). I've benefited a lot from this forum, having posted a number of questions over the years and received some really helpful suggestions - thank you all.

I really tried to look after the car well, but in hindsight I wonder whether I've been a bit unlucky with it as it's had quite a few faults. However, I've tried to provide a fair summary below with its good points too:

- 80,500 miles covered
- Nearly £2000 spent on rectifying faults (see below) [av £215 per year]
- £1800 spent on maintenance (servicing, mots) [av £200 per year]
- £2250 spent on wear and tear items (tyres, brake pads, etc) [av £250 per year]

Faults:
1. Both headlamp motors malfunctioned (on seperate occasions) and needed replacing.
2. Both rear topmounts on shock absorbers rattled and needed replacing.
3. Squealing noise from water pump which needed full replacement.
4. Emissions warning light on and exhuast gas regulalator needed replacing.
5. Car broke down on one occasion and all ignition coils needed replacing.
6. Coolant hose burst and needed replacing.
7. Car kept going into safe mode and temperature sensor needed replacing.
8. Rear wiper stopped working and wiper motor needed replacing.
9. Car kept going into safe mode and N80 valve needed replacing.
10. Car kept going into safe mode and fuel pump needed replacing.
11. Cooling fans stayed on permanently even with car locked and left overnight - cooling fan unit needed replacing.

Postives:
- Good looking motor in my view.
- Nice bit of power when needed.
- Handled pretty well.
- Overall a solid feel.

Negatives:
- Too many component faults over the course of its life as listed above.
- Some rattling/noises over course of life.
- Poorer mpg than expected.
- Expensive servicing / parts.

The car was running well when I sold it and I was sad to see it go, but it was time to move on...

Reactions: cboy
i was like that when i sold my cherished vw 1.9tdi bora

What you replacing the audi with? Hope you going to stick around. :) x

Yep, I'll return to the boards every and now and then to see what's going on.

I've replaced the Audi with a Seat Leon - please don't judge me! :)

Good luck with the new car. Any pics? :) x

Reactions: Monsoon
I think I'd cry if I added up the amount of stuff I've done on my A3. From selling half the bits I've retrofitted, I've got back over just over £1000!

What engine's in the Leon out of interest?

To be fair (for an Audi) I don't think that's too bad in 9 years of ownership.....£2000 in rectifying faults.

In 3 years I've had......
£1200 dual mass flywheel & clutch
£800 recon turbo (a brand new part is around £1200 plus fitting)
£250 cracked alloy wheel (I got a brand new surplus part off ebay but I'm told these retail at dealers at nearly £500)
£70 battery
Recall on injectors for free but around a £2500 job if id had to pay
£1200 failed diesel particulate filter & sensor
£520 New plastic inlet manifold
Scratched & ruined windscreen at the end of the wiper arc from those crap new type windscreen wipers

Unlike you I wont be buying anything VAG when I decide to change. Probably Japanese again when I decide what I'm going for.

Last edited:
The old and the new side by side...

OldNew3

To be honest, I did have to think twice about another VAG car, but the reviews and test drive for the Leon won me over. I've gone for 1.8TSI FR. The only disappointment so far is both front door card coverings have started to rattle like mad so the car's booked in at the dealer for them to look at it. Apparently Seat have issued a service campaign bulletin about this as it's a known problem. Reminds me of the creaking door windows I had on the Audi when I first got that...

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandra
I happen to work for SEAT.

Door rattle is 100% a known problem.

Door cards off, all clips changed.

Large plastic dish on each door changed (the source of the rattle on most) they made them just a wee bit out of spec so rattle. (***3 door only***)

+ Some adhesive felt pads placed in certain areas to stop rubbing/rattling. (3+5 door models).

Reassemble. Job done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sandra and Monsoon
The old and the new side by side...

View attachment 41995
To be honest, I did have to think twice about another VAG car, but the reviews and test drive for the Leon won me over. I've gone for 1.8TSI FR. The only disappointment so far is both front door card coverings have started to rattle like mad so the car's booked in at the dealer for them to look at it. Apparently Seat have issued a service campaign bulletin about this as it's a known problem. Reminds me of the creaking door windows I had on the Audi when I first got that...

Thanks for pics. Look good together. I like, hope you enjoy the car. :) x

Reactions: Monsoon