Farewell S3 welcome S4

Riko0073

Reaction score
So the time has nearly come for me to say farewell to my S3 saloon that I've ran for the last 1 1/2 years as more space required and my new S4 Avant arrives for delivery on Tuesday.

I have to say I've loved the S3 for a number of reasons and still turns heads from passers by, I'm not sure the S4 Avant will have such impact, well maybe not visually but the sound should at least turn heads with that glorious V6 noise.

The looks of the saloon are hard to beat and as said is a real head turner especially in Sepang when shiny!

Interior is lovely and a notch above the equivalent BMW and Mercedes. The SS seats are a great touch as is the dashboard layout and controls.

Boot space - I've been surprised just how much it will fit in for a small saloon, however my 2 dogs would not be impressed being in there hence the need for the new Avant!

MPG - for a fast saloon the average mpg has been acceptable and also impressive on longer journeys with close to 40 mpg on a good journey driven sensibly.

Performance - for a 2.0l it packs a punch and puts bigger cars to shame.

B&O - great sound and never distorts when I crank it up, bass is amazing. Spec'd on the new S4.

Dislikes:

Ride - definitely on the firm side even in comfort with mag ride but I knew that, however a saloon characteristic is a lumping sound from the suspension which can get annoying. The S4 is a much nicer ride but it's a bigger car and have spec'd the adjustable dampers to get the full breadth of abilities.

Handling - it's good but notice at speed it can get a bit 'floaty' and have been scared a few times by this which knocks confidence when pushing on! There maybe aftermarket solutions for this possibly but I've never gone down that route. Again S4 should be an improvement even from a bigger car, sports diff spec'd which I hear is a must have.

Sound - the farts are nice but the overall experience doesn't stir the soul. Understand the new facelift offers a bit more theatre with crackles but looking forward to the V6 on the S4 which although no AMG does sound lovely with a deep powerful noise.

MMI - annoying that you can't display the radio icons...it's the little things sometimes!

Overall I've loved the S3 and would have been happy to run it for longer, it does offer a great all round package with a few compromises but I believe still a better choice than the competition and let's face it, way too many Golf R's on the road! I was in the market for the new RS3 but with space being important and also the desire for a better ride quality the S4 Avant was the best choice for me personally and with around 13% discount the deal was done.

Glad to still be with an Audi and look forward to sharing some pics of the new Daytona grey beast and with the magma red interior finished with carbon trim it's going to be a lovely daily driver to enjoy : )

S3 will be gone but never forgotten...well maybe a little when I push the go faster peddle with that V6 ; )

Reactions: Reggieboy71, Daveotto, Joe4842 and 2 others
Enjoy your new motor mate, sounds lovely!

Reactions: Riko0073
I quite like the S4 Avant, so I don't think you'll be disappointed and it'll turn a few heads too.
I came from a V6 (albeit Supercharged not turbo) and you're totally correct about the sound. Where you need to push the S3 (even the FL) to get it to make noises, the thing I miss from my S5 is even the noise of the engine on its own sounded fantastic never mind when you push it and get the exhaust farting away.
Would be good to hear how you're getting on with the new one and see some pics.
All the best with it mate!

Reactions: Riko0073
I quite like the S4 Avant, so I don't think you'll be disappointed and it'll turn a few heads too.
I came from a V6 (albeit Supercharged not turbo) and you're totally correct about the sound. Where you need to push the S3 (even the FL) to get it to make noises, the thing I miss from my S5 is even the noise of the engine on its own sounded fantastic never mind when you push it and get the exhaust farting away.
Would be good to hear how you're getting on with the new one and see some pics.
All the best with it mate!
Thanks mate and yes the S4 Avant is still a handsome if a bit more grown up package.

Will definitely put up some pics and a more in depth comparison with the S3 once I get a good feel for the new German whip.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
S3 will be gone but never forgotten...well maybe a little when I push the go faster peddle with that V6 ; )
Enjoy the new car mate and if you have V6 you have to go along these lines for £399 ;)

Rko

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Riko0073
Can't wait to see the new car. We want lots of pics, especially the interior. Enjoy the collection on Tuesday. :)

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Riko0073
Nice!!! I was thinking of a private plate and for £399 that's perfect, cheers buddy
Ohh missed a trick there....I just bought that so it's now mine....I'll sell it for £800 :p

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Riko0073 and Sandra
Ohh missed a trick there....I just bought that so it's now mine....I'll sell it for £800 :p
Haha, I'll give your£399.99!!

Reactions: Audi Bairn, S32B and Sandra