Farewell A4 and Audi

holly35

Reaction score
After 27k miles and 34 months ive made the decision to part with my A4 and Audi.Over all its been a great car.Reliable and well built,however not as rattle free as my previous A3 and vault like quality of my B6 A4.
Some of the tech ive never used ,some i have used has had a mind of its own occasionally. Ive found it to ride much better when on my winter 17 inch wheels,and i recently had 2 passengers in the back who found the 18 inch wheel ride comfort down right uncomfortable.
Its had a rattle in the drivers door since new which has never been cured despite numerous efforts its always returned.I think the styling has dated rather faster than i thought it would and overall dont think it has enough quality of materials over its VW cousins.
Ive enjoyed all my Audis but its time for change.
Good luck to all on the forum with their cars and enjoy the Audi experience.

I hear you. Most of us seem to be jumping ship.

What have you got in mind for the next one?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Simonwhite2000
Well id rather not say as im bound to have replies from some who will have "had experience" with my new choice and on forums its usually something negative.I will be staying off forums as during my time here ive worried over reports on things that have never affected my car ,which can spoil your ownership.Anyway heres why i finally cut ties with Audi....
Ive had an A4 for 3 years and considered the previous Q3 prior to deciding on the newer model A4 at the time.It was in my mind to move to an suv and possibly the Q3 when i changed.
I had just speced a Sport 1.5 stronic on the configur and contacted my dealer .Heres what happened.....
I had speced heated seats privacy glass and the contrast lower body in manhattan grey.
I have been advised that they no longer offer privacy glass on the sport for the 2020 model year.No longer offer the contrasting body colour .Yes i can get heated front seats but they would cost £1300 because they only come as part of a package (with things i dont want) and there is another price increase of £500 on all new orders.
I was offered the dealer would fit the privacy glass as a dealer fitted option with basically a third part calling at the garage to remove all the door panels and trim to do it....no thanks a recipe for damage and rattles.
Cant believe the above and the final nail in the coffin was the seats.....Rock hard side bolsters that my wife and me found incredibly uncomfortable when entering and leaving the car as they dug right into the back of your legs.Worse because the seats in the Q3 are naturally higher.
Which defeated the purpose of easy and comfortable stepping in and out.
I feel Audi are forcing customers to "upscale" to models above by restricting options and deleting options,can you believe a 35K Sport cant get privacy glass factory fitted?I also didnt want to upscale to the sline with sports springs.....but i can get privacy glass says the dealer.
The dash was a thing of beauty ....in the showroom ,however the touch screens were difficult to see in certain bright sun light ,just like your laptop when it catches the light sometimes,making selection on the move impossible having to constantly squint at the screen.
i found the rear seats devoid of any shape. Overall what i thought would be a probable purchase has now finished me with the brand.
Such a shame really as ive had a few Audis over the years. However its time now for change .....this is the second " price increase" over the last short period of time which also make me believe Europe is gearing up for post Brexit .

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Sandra, -Ju- and 1 other person
I have placed an order for a Mercedes CLA, it was a tough decision but, as my current finance deal on the A4 comes to an end in november and at the moment I see not a lot in a Audi dealership that takes my fancy. Plus Audi have taken the decision to reduce the number of 'pick and mix' options available to a buyer unless you buy whole packs or their most expensive models, as stated by @holly35.
If the CLA, is delayed I still have the option to buy out the A4 and sit on it for a while...

I hate the system that dictates that to have something you want, you need to order other stuff you may not need. In this day of computer controlled just in time delivery to production lines there should be no reason at all why you could not have your car built to exactly the spec you want at no inconvenience at all to the manufacturer.

Reactions: Jcbmally, RS3 S. and cuke2u
Enjoy your new car, whatever it may be and be sure to stick around

Others who have moved on from Audi are still here :)

Reactions: Jcbmally
I wouldn't say your reason for leaving Audi is exclusive to Audi. I found BMW to be even more money-grabbing with extras. Also, its not too uncommon for this to be the time where people move on to new cars, as we're nearing the end of the B9 cycle, and even though the face-lifts exist, other newer cars, like the new CLA cuke2u has ordered, have more to offer now than the B9 does.
Good luck with your next car!

Reactions: cuke2u
I would say, judging by the lifespan of the B8, we've until 2023 with the current model..

Audi are alienating some customers for sure. I couldn't refuse the 12 month extension on my S5 lease but once it's up I'll be leaving Audi. The A6 is up 4 months after that and it wont be replaced with an Audi either.

I knew I wasnt going to be sticking around the moment I heard they got rid of the rotary knob.

Reactions: Simonwhite2000
I knew I wasnt going to be sticking around the moment I heard they got rid of the rotary knob.

........acording to the latest Auto Express ''yes''. Main screen is still on top of the dash but is now touch screen & the rotary dial is now a bit of extra storage

Well id rather not say as im bound to have replies from some who will have "had experience" with my new choice and on forums its usually something negative.I will be staying off forums as during my time here ive worried over reports on things that have never affected my car ,which can spoil your ownership.Anyway heres why i finally cut ties with Audi....
... However its time now for change .....this is the second " price increase" over the last short period of time which also make me believe Europe is gearing up for post Brexit .

Holly35 has said on other posts to this board
"Ill never buy an EU car again after seeing the way things are unfolding .......unless were free of their laws and hold....and there is a good trade agreement world wide not within Europe."
"im happy to stick with my decision not to purchase a European car "

So I expect Holly35 will not be buying a car that is manufactured in a EU country. What Holly35 did not understand, and which was explained to her by other posters is that there is no such things as an "EU car".

Those in the car industry know that car manufacturing relies on global (Just In Time) supply chains, and that a car that is perceived as "German" may well be built using engine parts manufactured in the West Midlands in the UK, so by choosing not to buy an what she perceives as an "EU Car" may be hurting UK manufacturing.

Even cars built in the UK such as those by JLR rely on "Just In Time" (JIT) supply chains from Europe, which a No Deal Brexit will have a disruptive effect, and any form of Brexit will likely hurt, which is why the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) have been warning of the impact of Brexit on UK manufacturing since the before the advisory EU referendum.

I won't miss Holly35's posts in this forum relating to Europe and the EU, as I feel these have largely been inaccurate. I genuinely hope Holly35 enjoys her new car and wish her all the best with it, and hope she has a better experience than she has had with Audi :)

Holly35 has said on other posts to this board
"Ill never buy an EU car again after seeing the way things are unfolding .......unless were free of their laws and hold....and there is a good trade agreement world wide not within Europe."
"im happy to stick with my decision not to purchase a European car "

So I expect Holly35 will not be buying a car that is manufactured in a EU country. What Holly35 did not understand, and which was explained to her by other posters is that there is no such things as an "EU car".

Those in the car industry know that car manufacturing relies on global (Just In Time) supply chains, and that a car that is perceived as "German" may well be built using engine parts manufactured in the West Midlands in the UK, so by choosing not to buy an what she perceives as an "EU Car" may be hurting UK manufacturing.

Even cars built in the UK such as those by JLR rely on "Just In Time" (JIT) supply chains from Europe, which a No Deal Brexit will have a disruptive effect, and any form of Brexit will likely hurt, which is why the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) have been warning of the impact of Brexit on UK manufacturing since the before the advisory EU referendum.

I won't miss Holly35's posts in this forum relating to Europe and the EU, as I feel these have largely been inaccurate. I genuinely hope Holly35 enjoys her new car and wish her all the best with it, and hope she has a better experience than she has had with Audi :)

Thanks for your opinion on something nobody asked for, it comes across very condescending which you were probably intending.

I purposely avoid all politics on this forum as it’s a place I like to come and enjoy, we have it rammed down our throats enough with the news, tv and radio, so please, take your political views elsewhere, like the thread you dug out holly35’s post.

Reactions: mjcairney, oldoiler, tickedon and 2 others
Thanks for your opinion on something nobody asked for, it comes across very condescending which you were probably intending.

I purposely avoid all politics on this forum as it’s a place I like to come and enjoy, we have it rammed down our throats enough with the news, tv and radio, so please, take your political views elsewhere, like the thread you dug out holly35’s post.

Exactly this. Sick to death of politics and this place is a nice escape.

Reactions: mjcairney, oldoiler and tickedon
I'm sorry if I have caused offence. I did not intend to. Please don't have a go at me for bringing up politics. It was Holly35 who did this with the quoted posts, and I was merely responding to some points she had raised.

This is a car forum about Audi's and unfortunately you can't disassociate politics from this, as car buying has been affected by recent events, and specifically Brexit. When new Audi contracts have the following text in them, I do this this is relevant "We reserve the right to pass onto you any price increases which may occur prior to the delivery of your vehicle that arise as a direct result of the UK departure from the European Union on 31st October 2019"

I will continue to steer clear of politics except when it relates directly to Audi/car buying, which in this case it does.

Reactions: mjcairney, akk_0091, jds_sg and 1 other person