Faraday Signal Blocker Pouch ..

NigelG

Reaction score
My new S-Line (22 - 8Y) does not come with Keyless Entry, but does have Keyless Start. Read a couple of conflicting comments, but is it still necessary/recommended to use a Faraday Signal Blocker Pouch to store the keys for this kind of Keyless Start ONLY ??

My head is telling me no, as they are two different things and Keyless Start is not prone to the 'relay' harvesting that Keyless Entry is.

I believe it is the keyless entry that poses the risk.

This is combatted by the bonnet having to be open to use the obd2 port and the keys going dormant.

if you’re still worried you could get a pouch or put the key in a metal tin.

Reactions: NigelG
We have a faraday box, much easier than faffing with a pouch as you can fit your whole set of keys in them easily.

Todoxi Faraday Box, Car Key Signal Blocker Box, Keyless Car Key Fob Safe Protector Box, Large RFID Signal blocking Box https://amzn.eu/d/ewzLusc

Reactions: NigelG
I believe it is the keyless entry that poses the risk.
This is combatted by the bonnet having to be open to use the obd2 port and the keys going dormant.

I did read somewhere (i forget where) that the new 8Y's have added technology that 'kill' the key signal if it's not moved for a while - but whether that is on Keyless Entry models, not the standard Keyless Start ONLY models. Like you say, I was under the impression that it's cars with Keyless Entry are the ones more at risk of the Relay issue, not keyless start - and with cars that need the key to unlock to the car by pressing the button on the fob, and being keyless start only, don't need a pouch/signal blocker.

We have a faraday box, much easier than faffing with a pouch as you can fit your whole set of keys in them easily.

Todoxi Faraday Box, Car Key Signal Blocker Box, Keyless Car Key Fob Safe Protector Box, Large RFID Signal blocking Box https://amzn.eu/d/ewzLusc
Funnily enough, that was the one I was looking at! At home, it's no problem to throw the keys in that (or a tin box) whilst in the house. But do we actually need one? Especially when the cars not parked at home and you've gone out in it.