FAO: 140 Re-mapped Owners

N8

Kowalski Details
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi Guys,

Car isn't ready for a while yet, but one thing I just keep thinking over and over in my head. Most people on here have gone for the superchips remap which is £599. I can get a remap done for the A3 for £250 (forum discount) from a very reputable company (don't want to mention), is there any reason why I should pay and extra £349 for the superchip? When ultimatley they do they same thing?

Help appreciated.

Thanks

Nathan:hi:

I had the same dilema when deciding between revo and a local tuner - i gathered up enough information and examples from the local tuner to be happy enough to hand him over £235 (down from £270) to map my car

i got to use their new rolling road today and both power curves were unbelievabley smooth!

i do belive though that their dyno is slightly out as i was very surprised at the power output!

my car, being remapped, miltek cat back exhaust and green panel filter churned out:

191.4bhp @ 3563 (82mph)
315.7lbft @ 2681

Go for the £250 option. There aint much difference to the quality of software and the gains that you'll get.

And those who already have got the Superchips option are bound to disagree as they obviously don't like to admit to themselves that they've paid over the odds!

As one who has the Superchips remap I can honestly say it was the best money i've spent on tuning, but the reason I went for the Superchip was mainly that I wanted something that I could load or unload at will when I take my car for a service. I am still within the warranty and prefer to not make it too easy for the dealer to spot it. Also they offer a gaurantee which makes me feel a little more confortable as I drive 25-30k per year. They give 10% diecount for forum members. I am sure your remap will be similarly effective of course.

On that note, the guys that did mine, they offer a garuntee also and if i am not happy with the map they can take it on and off as i please (i think) - it might cost very little to do but the option is still there!

I'm another superchips fan, there customer service is very good, I have bluefin but i've never loaded/removed the map since having it fitted. Again the warranty was a worthwhile addition covering any failure that is caused by the map ( if it could be proved no doubt but it would be similar to the audi warranty in that they may not necessarily pay out )

I just had another Dyno test this morning at a different location - as said, I thought the results above for my car were a bit generous so i was expecting a more realistic result from this other company i used

results were:

175.5bhp @3784rpm
304 lbft @ 2211rpm

BrianM said:
As one who has the Superchips remap I can honestly say it was the best money i've spent on tuning, but the reason I went for the Superchip was mainly that I wanted something that I could load or unload at will when I take my car for a service. I am still within the warranty and prefer to not make it too easy for the dealer to spot it. Also they offer a gaurantee which makes me feel a little more confortable as I drive 25-30k per year. They give 10% diecount for forum members. I am sure your remap will be similarly effective of course.[/QUOTE

Thinking of getting the bluefin..a big novice on remapping....how easy is it to

upload and remove the data? How do superchips go about loading it onto the
device etc....abit confused??? but like the idea of removing at will

Just had my A4 blue-finned by Superchips and to be honest I was expecting more from it, judging by how many people had raved about re-mapping. Yes it has a bit more 'go' in it, but I wouldnt say it was a radical improvemnt.

Certainly doesnt turn it into tarmac shredder, I'll reserve judgement fully until I've ran it for a little longer.

Issac - i know what you mean. its because its a derv and being an audi as well.its such a smooth power delivery and still feels kind of "dead" but compare it to cars that havent been mapped and you will certainly see the difference

Issac Hunt said:
Just had my A4 blue-finned by Superchips and to be honest I was expecting more from it, judging by how many people had raved about re-mapping. Yes it has a bit more 'go' in it, but I wouldnt say it was a radical improvemnt.

Certainly doesnt turn it into tarmac shredder, I'll reserve judgement fully until I've ran it for a little longer.

If you are not happy with the results get back in touch with Superchips who will either refund or offer an alternate map, my A4 2.0tdi was totally transformed especially with low down grunt, in fact it developed a tendancy for torque steer under heavy throttle, this was definetly down to the power produced as when switched off all became sedate once again.

It was superb, I find the remaps on petrol cars far more subtle but on a diesel it should be fairly apparent from the off.

Spin

Contemplating this upgrade.

will 71k prove to late in the day for my car to be mapped?

also how does the car feel now.... is the launch a lot better?

does it improve the performance right through the rev range?

It shouldn't be any problem with 70k on the clock, most diesels are just about run in by then :)

The car should feel 'livelier' in all aspects, I've had 4 x 2.0tdi's remapped to date and they averaged bhp from 179 up to 197 for the previous A4, all very dependant on what you car puts out in standard form and the readings are subject to things like temp etc on the day. The latest 2.0tdi was my wifes Jetta DSG this only achieved 145bhp standard and produced 177 after the bluefin. The car is notably quicker but due to the DSG and the way the map is configured there is not as much low down urgency as in the manuals I have had done.

If you go to the Bucks HQ, quote this forum you will get a 10% discount plus before and after dyno plots which include a health check on your car.

N8KOW said:
Thanks for the info guys. Isn't a 177bhp Jetta with DSG fun to drive?

Yeah great fun, you have to be very careful as the DSG gathers speed very quickly once on the move with little fuss so its worth setting the speed warning to safeguard your licence. The power is seamless and midrange accelaration superb. The wife loves the extra power and she covers mega miles so gets to utilise the power surprising many 'tailgaters' with her accelaration.

Boydie said:
Issac - i know what you mean. its because its a derv and being an audi as well.its such a smooth power delivery and still feels kind of "dead" but compare it to cars that havent been mapped and you will certainly see the difference

I've done about 700 miles since the remap and it does improve acceleration across the range, more noticeable for me on the motorway, pulling in sixth from say 75-80 mph it does feel a lot more 'eager'

I dont really cane it in 1st and 2nd much so cant fully comment on that side of it but that not really why I had it re-mapped - I just wanted more shove on the motorway and for overtaking on A and B roads.

As to wether its worth the money well thats hard to say but I am becoming happier as the miles increase, certainly makes back road overtakes easier.

Not had it dyno-ed but tried a side by side comparison with a friends Golf TDI (140 std) and my A4 quite easily pulled several car lengths over the Golf while rolling onto the power from about 40 mph, by the time were upto 100 I mustve been at least 90-100 metres in front. Not an exact test/compariosn by any means but given they are both powered by the same engine (I know vehicle weight is different etc) I was happy enough to be honest. And my mate is thinking of having his done now!

I guess to start with I was little disappointed but having come from a more powerful car to my current A4 maybe this was inevitable, Overall I would recommend it, Just seems to make making swift progress when driving that litle bit easier and less stressful.

My 2p worth anyway!