Fan whirring under acceleration?

redkite

Reaction score
Hi, I have recently bought A6 Avant 2.0 tdi SE Multitronic, 2013, 68,000 miles. It's a very nice car - quiet and smooth in comparison to my previous manual 2007 model - the auto transmission taking a bit of getting used to.

I have noticed that under moderate / hard acceleration there is an audible whirring sound (but not loud at all) coming (it sounds like) from driver side air vent. Sounds like a fan with something lightly catching in it. I can't replicate it when car is at standstill and rev the engine - it only occurs under acceleration. AC is off. Is this sound normal - I was not aware of it in my previous A6? Is it something I should worry about?

I have also noticed that when I turn my engine off I can hear the fan winding down and stopping afterwards - again I was not aware of this in previous A6 ...

Anyone any ideas - should I be concerned about either of these things?

Thanks.

Fan running after switching off is usually due to the car being mid-DPF Regeneration Cycle at the time you switched off. You can also often sense a burning smell outside the vehicle.

Thanks for that reply - the fan sound I hear is not as loud or long as DPF regeneration cycle - it is literally just the sound of fan slowing and coming to a stop naturally - just wonder why this sound is audible in the cabin? Is this the same on all A6's? It was not the case in my previous 2007 manual.

Is the lack of replies on the whirring sound issue because no one else has ever heard this and have no clue what I am talking about? Or because it's normal and should just be ignored ??? Would be good to get some feedback from any other A6 2.0 tdi Multitronic owners to see if this is common, or not recognised at all?

Redkite - sorry it is not something I have heard or noticed,the car has done a re - gen as described in your post. So not able to help in any way at all, which probably accounts for the small number of replies? I am still under 3k miles on mine as yet.

Martin

Thanks for that reply - the fan sound I hear is not as loud or long as DPF regeneration cycle - it is literally just the sound of fan slowing and coming to a stop naturally - just wonder why this sound is audible in the cabin? Is this the same on all A6's? It was not the case in my previous 2007 manual.

Is the lack of replies on the whirring sound issue because no one else has ever heard this and have no clue what I am talking about? Or because it's normal and should just be ignored ??? Would be good to get some feedback from any other A6 2.0 tdi Multitronic owners to see if this is common, or not recognised at all?

Not heard this on mine either
And have to agree with Martin, you won't get too many replies due to the owners not having them very long on here (I believe)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for your replies - I think I will wait until next service and if the noise is still there get the dealer to take a look. Meanwhile it is just an irritation on a new (to me) car I suppose and probably nothing serious.

Cheers