Fan stays on. . . .

Starflex

Reaction score
Hi there,

Gosh, I have had my car for only 200 km (ex-demo) and I am here already to post potential problems... :(

Car: Audi A3 8V 2.0TDi S-Tronic, April 2014, Ex-Demo car, 13.000km.

I noticed yesterday abd today again that, once I switched off the engine, the radiator fan stays on. Didn't really care about yesterday, as I know that sometimes it can happen. Today I paid a bit more attention and, after five minutes of car parked and engine off, the fan was still on (no need to say..uselessly, as the water in the radiator was obviously cooled enough and the air blowing was not doing too much with the engine off).
As soon as I swithched on the engine again, the fan turned off.

On top of that, today the car wouldn't switch off automatically at the traffic light, even with the engine at the normal operating temperature. I did not manually deactivate the Start&stop, and I was driving with the "Efficiency" program.

Last hint: a bit of smell of burnt when I parked the car today.

Now, I read something about the DPF regen and the faulty fans. My car has one fan only (is that possible ? Could not really see the smaller one and, anyway, it was indeed the big one that was spinning today), I am mainly driving in the city at the moment so did not have any chance to drive in a motorway situation (that would have been "regenerated" the DPF, I suppose).

Your view, before contacting the dealer?

Give it a longer run to get the DPF regen finished. Mine does this occasionally and the front of the car has a lot of heat coming from it and the gears are held a bit longer. This is also why the start stop won't function.
If it keeps doing it, go to the dealer and they can force a regen.

Reactions: Starflex
Thanks Scottk.

I tried to put into the post as many infos as I had available, so that a clear picture was given and it was possible to (hopefully) target the issue better.

Yup, will try to do a bit of motorway this evening to complete the DPF Regen.

Sounds like the DPF Regen - try and keep around 2k and above revs in each gear that you use.
This should reduce the amount of regens you are having and may save you from having to blast up / down a motorway near you.

Reactions: Starflex
Yeah, I was reading a bit about this. I guess that my "grandpa-with-the-hat" driving attitude is greatly responsible of that, and Sydney traffic doesn't help indeed (one traffic light every 200 meters....).

Will try to do so, thanks! :)

Thanks veeight,

I did a bit of research in the forum (not enough, indeed) and at the beginning I could only find post on the previous model. Mostly, all of them were pointing to the fan temperature diode fault. Some other where pointing to the DPF tho, but being (the ones that I initially found) only for the 8P model, I was wondering if the behaviour was still present or if it has changed with the years.

You will forgive me, I have only had this car for one week, I am still a super-newbie :innocent:

Reactions: veeeight
The forum search function is broken right now, so it's a bit tricky to find stuff!

I found the threads thanks to Google :)