fan constantly on

jibbz

Reaction score
hi there. I have an audi a3 1.6 SE petrol 55 plate. The fan comes on (at full speed,very loud) as soon as i start the car and only turns off when i turn off the ignition and start the car again immediately. The fan only turns off when the i ive driven the car for a minimum of 45mins. When the fan is on, the engine management light shows. The temp gage is always on zero and only starts working when the car has been turned off and then re started as i mentioned above. The car does not over heat. The fan basically comes on when the engine is cool and turns off when the engine has warmed up. So far i have had the thermostat checked and its fine and also the water pump and the air pressure switch. There is no gas in the ac rad, can this be the problem? I was told that i need to change the whole radiator fan but when i connected a similar one to the car the same problem occured. the fan came on immediately. please help

yeh thanx 4 the quick response guys, much appreciated. I know its one of many switches or sensors connected to the radiator and ac fan. im going 2 have 2 run thru all of them. i have already tried finding out the exact fault with an obd but not much luck there. would vag com be a better way of finding the problem

hi guys. i finally managed to resolve the problem with fan by the painstaking process of elimination. over the last few weeks, ive had the water pump checked, thermostat changed, air con pressure switch changed and both temperature sensors checked out. as it happened after a 3rd opinion, i was told to to have both temp sensors replaced by brand new ones despite having been told that my existing temp sensors were fine. only after this was the problem eventually solved. morale of the story: always get a 2nd and 3rd opinion. (cost 2 replace both temperature sensors-parts and labour: £80.